Linkin Park - Heavy feat. Kiiara Lyric Video

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Feb 16, 2017.

1. zazofazo

zazofazo Well-Known Member

This song is the most polarizing thing the band has ever done even more than the catalyst , people calling each other names on social media over this song .
    So yeah keep living in your bubble and pretend that making this song specifically wasn't risky and it was a sell out

2. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

All of the members are millionaires several times over who could likely build their own studio if they wanted, the band has always had very strong pop leanings anyway, Hunting Party was very accessible, and there's been no indication any of them have been pushed to do anything.

This same argument could have been for every single album;

Meteora; "the label wanted another HT"
    Minutes; "the label demanded they come up with another sound to compensate for nu-metals death"
    ATS; "the label wanted them to capitalize on the rise of dance/electronic/dub music (yes gang, ATS isn't necessarily that much different than a lot of the music that was getting popular 7 years ago)!"
    Living Things; "the label is panicking, and wants more 'classic LP songs'
    Hunting Party; "the label is sick of not being able to get LP songs to hard rock stations and demanded they go heavier"

It's a cheap and increasingly ridiculous excuse for why the band hasn't shat out their Dark Side of the Moon, enough. The real answer is Mike considers himself a Damon Albarn type artist and Linkin Park is his Gorillaz. Whether or not he should, he clearly does consider LP an extended art project to experiment with any and every kind of music he wants.

RapidGunner and Iopia like this.
  3. BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

Eh, it's hard not to say that it was also kind of LP's purpose with that song, given all the interviews and such.

4. A Wretched King

A Wretched King Foreword

"Heavy" is polarizing in the way that it separates the fan base. Some like it, some don't. Sure. I'll give you that. But compared to ATS? Shiiiet. ATS spawned a sub-group in the fan base that hadn't been seen before. "Heavy" is just for Selena Gomez fans. Big difference.

Ok bud, releasing a song that was co-written by people who write songs for Britney Spears is risky. (In the worst possible way).

Yeah you're right to an extent. I remember when M2M first came out. For sure it shocked people. I'll end my rant by saying that I think a lot fans including me never would have thought a song like "Heavy" would be on a major LP album. M2M stuff is just more My December'ish songs (which I happen to like). It was different but not Selena Gomez tier.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  5. outcastboy

outcastboy Sure God's all powerful, but does he have lips?

i have to agree with this, except that "polarizing" isnt necessarily good thing,

Heavy may be polarizing, but for the opposite reason that MTM or ATS were, no one can say that those 2 albuns were uninspired or made to please someone other than the band itself, even those who would want LP to remake meteora forever cant say that MTM or ATS are unoriginal or lazy. and thats what is wrong with Heavy, its only polarizing for being bad, just like many pop celebrities.

its a enjoyable song, if listened with no criteria other than wanting to sing along, at most. i dont think theres a single aspect of this song that can be considered good.

its ok to like the song, but dont fool yourselves thinking that its all about different tastes and that those who are criticizing the song are doing it for the same emotional reasons that nu metal fans critisize MTM, its a very different situation.

music is not completely subjective and not all opinions have the same value, folks.

6. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

The thing is people could and did say those things about those albums. All of those albums, according to detractors, were made to please the mainstream and push away their loyal, dedicated hardxcore fans. The band was accused of lazily caving to the trend of making "generic", "lifeless" music that doesn't have that "magic LP feeling" or whatever. They've lost fans because of those exact sentiments every single step of the way, and this time is no different in that sense.

You would never abandon the band unless they sunk really low, made bad music, sold out to the ~mainstream~ and totally crashed and burned in your eyes, right? Every hardxcore LP fan is like that, including the ones who ditched the band over "Midnight" and "A Thousand Suns".

Iopia, Alexrednex and Mitch like this.
  7. Halfway Dwight

Halfway Dwight We are the fortunate ones.

So you're saying that the people that like the song or think it's good are "objectively" wrong and that their opinions don't have the same value as yours?

Iopia and Ecstasy like this.
  8. Amarez

Amarez Well-Known Member

Skull just said "My god, just went through the rest of the thread and the level of pettiness and entitlement of some of you is just mindboggling."

He's bashing me. I bash him. Sorry if that made you mad. Skull and I are just arguing, but we don't hate each other. Skull I don't hate you lol. Forum is more divided than the US lol.

9. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

-First album cycle as a member of the forum

-Already controversy surrounding the new album.

In other news, what a time to be a fan :lol:

Iopia and Gravity_LP like this.
  10. wattmatters

wattmatters Well-Known Member

Okay so there is a lot of controversy around. Only one thing is bugging me and its calling them "Sellouts" everywhere.

This is just too much ignoring all their past albums, live shows etc.

If they were Sellouts or being pushed by the label there would have been no MTM, ATS, LT and THP.

They would have been playing "safe" like the likes of Maroon 5 and Coldplay {I'm a big fan of Coldplay}

(Coldplay's last 3 albums sound very similar - MX, GS and AHFOD and I don't need to mention anything about Maroon 5)

But that's not the case here.

What do you guys say?

Forfeit to Break and Deliveranze like this.
  11. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

I've learned as a fan of LP to ignore that BS. I haven't read any of the YouTube comments or anything because I knew from the first preview of the song, someone would complain about it, especially after THP. My expectations were low because I was afraid it would SOUND like an LP song. I feared it would be Burn It Down 2 but luckily I was surprised and that's not something I was expecting from this song at all.

12. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Hold up. Are you comparing one song to a couple of albums? I think you should be comparing first singles. You didn't think "What I've Done" was an uninspired polarizing song?

Iopia likes this.
  13. LPJM46

LPJM46 Member

Hey everyone. I've been reading these forums for a while now but never commented. Clearly this album cycle is pretty crazy...so I had to finally comment lol.

First of all, I really like Heavy. I personally love when LP does something different. It's exciting as hell.

I'm usually not one to let other people's opinions have an effect on me, but the amount of hate towards this song is bothering me. I know that sounds stupid...like why would I let haters get to me. I think it's because I feel for the guys in the band. Not that they're weak and let haters bring them down, but they are SO proud of this new music and put so much effort into it and just because it sounds like a pop song they're being accused of being " sell outs" because apparently LP fans think pop music is pure garbage (which is total BS) or "hypocrites" because of their statements from THP. It really sucks cause Chester even said in their live Facebook video a couple months ago that he wishes this was their first album and people didn't have any expectations. They just listened to the music as if it was a brand new artist.

I'm not going to say if you don't like the song then you're not a real LP fan or whatever. There are several LP songs I never listen to because I don't really like them, but jesus christ...the comments on this song. THIS SUCKS. LP IS DEAD. WHAT IS THIS JUSTIN BIEBER BUBBLE GUM POP BS. WHERE ARE THE GUITARS?! Are you kidding?...How can you possibly have this much hate and rage? How can you possibly think this band owes you something? I'm sorry but if you're one of those people who strictly listen to rock and metal and considers all other music, including pop, to be complete dog shit and it all SUCKS then I have no respect for you. If you have certain taste and you love rock and metal and prefer to listen to it then GREAT! But don't be the guy/girl who just bashes every other genre and thinks that what they listen to is REAL music and everything else is commercial garbage. Trust me...when you open your mind to new things and learn to appreciate the beauty in different types of music/art/culture, life is way more enjoyable.

Ok not trying to tell you all how to live your life. Just some advice for people who are stubborn af lol. Anyways, I am really excited for this album and I really hope people give it a chance. Lastly, for the people who claim that the record label took control and Mike is a hypocrite or whatever, idk if you follow Mike on Spotify but for the past year or so he's been listening to electronic music, pop music, etc. Usually, whatever Mike is listening to on Spotify is KINDA the direction the next album goes...emphasis on KINDA. It's basically a hint because it's what he is into. He did the same with THP. He was listening to heavy music. That being said, aren't we all human and change our minds or change our interests? Is it that weird and "hypocritical" that Mike craved heavier music three years ago and wanted to make a heavier album because he felt rock was lacking, now moving on and making a more electronic pop album with good melodies because that's what he's feeling creatively? like...dude...don't we all change our interests over time? Idk about you guys but one minute I'll be listening to Incubus and LP with heavy guitars, then the next minute I'm listening to Ray Charles or something...lmao. Mike is versatile as hell and listens to a variety of music that influences him. Also, he can do whatever he wants. Same with the other members.

Just needed to vent a little bit. Whatever. In the end, well.. you know the rest ;) (that was so corny holy crap)

14. Wizardofozil

Wizardofozil Well-Known Member

This mike?

15. wattmatters

Yea, i support that.
    Before the launch of Heavy, I was talking to my brother who is also a big fan of LP that I have a gut feeling that this album is going to be Coldplay-ish.

I'm not a blind fan of everything they make but if it's good its good.

And Heavy is not bad at all. (I just wanted it to be a bit longer)
    I've repeated this in the forum several times about why people are disliking it.

Here's why -

1. Pop Rock vibes
    2. Simple Progression
    3. Mellow vocals by Chester
    4. A soft song after a super heavy THP
    5. Massive Advertising of the new material drawing people from everywhere
    6. Featuring a Glitch-Pop artist, Seperate verse of Kiiara (2nd Verse)
    7. Catchy Chorus
    8. Absence of Raw Guitars (Though there are backing guitars in the outro)
    9. No Mike Shinoda
    10. The name "HEAVY"

Personally my biggest letdown was Recharged. I mean it was just unnecessary.
    I was unable to listen to even one song completely besides A Light That Never Comes which I started liking lately.

Damn, LP excelled at EDM too.

Now you see, LP had already step foot in the EDM genre due to Steve Aoki but no one gave a damn because it was not advertised as much as Heavy.

These people are genius.

Mike intentionally chose a softer Pop Rock sound for this album because it was "personal" overall. And to make that more accessible, he chose a softer sound as it draws more people to connect with the band and the message he wanted to convey with the songs.

And its not a bad Pop Rock/Soft Rock sound as they have tracked the instruments and not that Mike was sitting on his Mac and doing the stuff. The drums and bass on Heavy are really good.

How many bands are there that have spanned across so many diverse genres? From Metal to EDM successfully? I guess no one.

They create an album and add more fans instead of sticking to their sound and narrowing their fanbase.

They have taken Risks from the start and continue to challenge themselves and us.
    I mean it is bizarre that they have made so many different sounding songs.

That's pure genius guys.

Waiting for your response pals.

Forfeit to Break likes this.
  16. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Almost 50,000 dislikes in the YouTube video for Heavy. YIKES

17. wattmatters

There are 100k likes as well.
    Would have been a big deal if it was the other way.

Edit - There are 150k likes.

Blake, Wizardofozil and minuteforce like this.
  18. TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

Surely... surely you don't actually believe what you just typed out??

I mean, I get that you dislike the song (and you're very much entitled to dislike the song), but there's no conspiracy. There's no motive. They wanted to release something different and they did. It's not that deep man

19. Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

You're making wild assumptions to suit your way of thinking, there are no facts to back up any of this.

The band could shift a lot of units without recording something as polarising as this, just record another New Devide/Burn It Down type song attach it to the new Transformers movie and job done.

Unless you can give some sort of proper evidence that Mike is sucking up to the label, then this sounds like a load more bullshit from a butt hurt "fan" who can't get over the fact that the band have made a song he doesn't like, and is trying desperately to justify his pathetic reaction to it.

Iopia and wattmatters like this.
  20. Reanimate02

Reanimate02 Well-Known Member

@wattmatters... you realize labels buy fake likes and plays for their artists right?

Just saying.. like, in reality it should be probably closer to 50% likes.