Linkin Park - 'Heavy' 2 Track Single Coming March 10th with Instrumental Version

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Feb 18, 2017.

Feenix

Feenix Well I Do

I wonder if you've heard this -
    (It's not mine i'm not self-promoting)

Much more guitar and it really brings a new dynamic to the song. I don't think it spoils it at all. That guitar mixed in at a lower volume would be just as good a version of the track as the original.

Petar likes this.
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Well, the band made an artistic choice. In hindsight, you could improve any song in any number of ways (except the ones that you can't, and everyone has their own opinions on what those are) but you can only make one decision in the moment and the band made that one.

What I meant before was that this isn't like the strings on "I'll Be Gone" or whatever, where they hyped up fans over the string parts in interviews and everyone was disappointed when they heard the final song. There was no mention of guitar with regards to this song and, obviously, that was for good reason because guitar doesn't play any kind of big role in the arrangement.

EDIT: I have to update what I said -- guitar plays a big role in the arrangement just by tastefully filling out the texture and not showing off.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

It's been five years and I still can't find those strings in the song. Sad.

Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

I can hear them :D but they are extremely buried.
    Check this i've just uploaded it, and you will see.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    Kilmer

Kilmer Well-Known Member

There's a lot more guitar on it than I thought, I thought it was only present in the last chorus. Kinda like in Waiting for the end, where one would think it's such an electronic song but actually there's guitar in almost the whole song. The second verse part reminds me of Iridescent's clean guitar lick. The strings in I'll be gone were a huge disappointment because of the way it was mixed, would be much more epic if it was louder.

drackslayer

drackslayer Well-Known Member

Wow! Listening to this instrumental version of the song made me really enjoy the music. (Previously I had just found the song "ok"). I think the only thing that sets this song apart from the LP of the LT or ATS is the volume of the instrumental. I loved the instruments!

(sorry for the english)

stringsibanez

stringsibanez ...

For anyone here who is interested in remixing and that sort of thing / is hoping for an acappella to be available soon: This release should (in theory) allow you to derive a decently usable, vocal-only track.

Step 1:
    Bring up the official release on a stereo track in your DAW of choice.

Step 2A:
    Bring up the instrumental release, alongside the official release, on a second stereo track.

Step 2B:
    Ensure that both the official track and the instrumental track are perfectly time-aligned to each-other. (There's a good chance they will naturally line up, but if they don't, one will need to be nudged (by the sample) until they line up exactly).

Step 3:
    Flip the phase on the instrumental track.
    This will cause all of the elements which are shared between the two mixes (i.e. everything in the arrangement except for the vocal elements) to be cancelled out.
    At this point, you should be left hearing only the vocals (including any vocal reverb or delay elements as well).

Step 4:
    Play with the volume and time-alignment of the instrumental track until the phase-cancellation appears to be its most effective.
    (In a perfect scenario.. complete cancellation should be possible, however, any differences in master-buss compression (due to the muted vocals) during the mixdown/creation of the instrumental file will slightly reduce this.)

Step 5:
    Buss both tracks to a new stereo track and record their output (or bounce the DAW's main output) to create a vocal-only file.

-----------------

Re-mixing isn't really something I'm interested in personally as most of my time is spent creating new recordings, but I have used this method to create both acappellas and instrumentals depending on which is available.

RapidGunner likes this.
    Micox

Micox The "Linkin Pigeon"

I don't know if these links ever have been posted on the forum, but Instrumental and Acapella are available !

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Why even make an intrumental version if there arent any instruments left?

:kappa:

Sasuke likes this.
    Stu

Stu Can't be outmatched or outdone

Damn the Instrumental is really nice when the drums started kicking in

Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

This is a Leak, they're not available yet.

Rebel Traj

Rebel Traj Well-Known Member

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Okay...?

TobinKnowsBest likes this.
    Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

No Acoustic Version... =(

stringsibanez

stringsibanez ...

Death Slayer likes this.
    Non-Pattern

Non-Pattern You’re about as sharp as a bowling ball

Just listened to the instrumental and I gotta say this is one of those songs that sounds way more interesting without vocals. It seems the vocals did play a huge part that differentiates LP's older songs; if Chester didn't sing melodramatically and Kiiara wasn't in it, there will certainly be less negativity on this song.

Death Slayer likes this.
    One More Rob

One More Rob Well-Known Member

and what you're trying to say with this, is what?