Linkin Park - Heavy feat. Kiiara Lyric Video

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

So before OML drops, we know that 2 songs are gonna be better that HEAVY. :awesome:
    So for all the sceptics: CHILL THE FUCK OUT.
    PS: I still think Heavy is a good song. ;)

2. Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. If you offer real, objective analysis, I'll listen and respect your opinions. That's the bare minimum of a critics's job. I couldn't care less whether you like the song or not, and any self-respecting critic should know that. Just tell me about the song. And for the love of god don't attack the band for switching genres or say that they shouldn't be writing music any more. Who does that benefit other than your own ego?

I really need a second single as soon as possible, just to settle my nerves haha. But I'm guessing that won't be happening for another month or so. :(

3. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

'Sorry For Now' is also a track I'm excited for. I hope they didn't change the lyrics from the work in progress snippet because I think they're perfect.

Jmuuh, brady, drackslayer and 2 others like this.
  4. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

He talked about it with like 12 other songs. You're all sitting here like he did a full 5 minute "review" on it and didn't hit on anything of relevance. He lumped it in with the worst songs of the week, and then explained why. I'm like 95% sure I have seen people on here compare the song to Imagine Dragons, which is exactly what he did.

I have no idea what issues you people are having with it, had he said "R&B vocals, Live Piano-Synth-Bass-Drums-Guitar... which sounds like Imagine Dragons" suddenly it would have dramatically changed your perception of his opinion? For a bunch of people complaining about someone not putting enough thought into criticism that could be the most pedantic reasoning I can think of.

5. Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

If you sit down and take a music critic's thoughts seriously, then you're just wasting your own time. People have their own perceptions of genres, styles, and music as a whole. I'm in a bit of disbelief that there's an argument happening right now about what a critic said - they can never offer a real, objective analysis. Their job, generally, is to offer a sensationalist opinion on albums and not to be ambiguous. No matter what, someone will disagree with it. So why do you care?

Hasnain, Meteorain and Iopia like this.
  6. Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

Well at least that would sound like he actually listened to the track semi-properly before reviewing it. Which is something you should do, in order to make a relevent critique of any music.

Anyway, some "respected critics" have continuosly shit on LP over the years, and me and no other LP fan I know have ever given a fuck.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  7. fio1310

fio1310 Well-Known Member

Am I one of the only people on this forum who loves somewhere I belong? Granted the lyrics aren't the best, but something about that opening riff, and even just the general sound of the verses is special to my ears. To me there are songs like session, or Nobody's listening that are much more forgettable :)

Meteorain likes this.
  8. Derek

Instrumentally it's pretty cool with the reverse guitar etc, but the lyrics...god they're awful. That chorus....is the best they came up with after 98 tries? :lol:

fio1310 and Sasuke like this.
  9. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

I also ever loved the bridge in Somewhere I Belong (flow, not lyrical wise :p )

10. Forfeit to Break

Why 98 tries? Just brainstorm words that rhyme with "heal" ("lies" doesn't, damn) and then fit them in to a chorus. Job done. :thumbsup:

Deliveranze and Sasuke like this.
  11. Derek

The whole song was rewritten a ton of times, with at least 30 choruses from what I read once. Chester may have exaggerated, but on the Meteora DVD there's a moment where he looks really annoyed and ready to kill someone and he looks at the camera and says something along the lines of (paraphrasing) "today we rewrote Somewhere I Belong......for the 97th time..."

His face looked annoyed enough that I don't think it was a joke :lol:

12. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

How are you not talking about the acapella at all when I quoted you because you said "I hope they release the acapella so I can..."
    So why would I be talking about a version my someone else when you're talking about remixing it yourself?

It's not like your English is bad, but I had a feeling. Enjoy your acapella homie

13. Forfeit to Break

Wow. I wonder how all the other attempts at lyrics sounded. Could they have honestly have been any worse?

Still really like the song though, definitely nostalgic. Meteora was awesome.

14. LPJM46

LPJM46 Member

Dude same.. I'm obsessed with the melody and lyrics in that snippet honestly. I keep replaying it. I know it's crazy short and just a snippit but I love what I'm hearing so far.

I'm especially excited for this album because I feel like we haven't heard any new songs with real singing since LT. Yes there are nice melodies in certain songs on THP, but there's obviously way more screaming and yelling (which was awesome and is what LP does really well). But I'm ready for a full album of soulful singing.

My favorite LP song is Waiting For The End...so..yeah I'm a sucker for an LP song with a fantastic melody and soulful singing.

15. dookiedung

dookiedung Member

Just listened to 'the sorry for now' snippet. Sounds like it's going to be extremely catchy

16. Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

Well that's exactly the point. It wasn't a serious, full review, which is why I find statements like "the mans incredibly on the money criticism", and "a man who is highly regarded as a music critic likely has more than idea of what he's talking about than a group of people who still use "Justin Beiber" as an insult in 2017", completely daft, when he literally didn't critique the song at all. It just seems strange to me to call a short, throwaway comment on a random video "on the money criticism" when he didn't even get the genre right. :shrug:

Now I really want to hear the first 97 attempts for a laugh haha. :lol:

brady likes this.
  17. Meteorain

Meteorain Well-Known Member

The days of In the End and Numb saw less traffic with digital downloads than the last few years. I think that's an important factor. Pretty sure Napster and such was still prominent when In the End was around. I was in high school and I never heard of friends turning to buying music on iTunes. Seriously, never.

Though yes, for Heavy to already have surpassed, that's still an eyebrow raiser.

Iopia likes this.
  18. Derek

Iopia likes this.
  19. zazofazo

zazofazo Well-Known Member

The song is already played on adult contemporary radio and is currently #49th most played song on AC radio , that's unprecedented for LP .

20. Meteorain

Meteorain Well-Known Member

Chester singing differently is something LP fans wanted? Not me. I'm not saying I have a problem with his altered style in Heavy, but I was never actively hoping for him to change anything. He's one of the best vocalists I've ever heard, with great range and ability to change pitch, I was fine with what he was doing. Sometimes I wonder if I'm just not like other fans lol

.....like when you also mention a female (or any) other vocalist as a positive thing. I'm fine with her being here, but that's due in big part to it not being the first time another vocalist has been given a verse on a track for a major/main studio album, Thanks to Rakim on The Hunting Party. I would've preferred studio albums (so not counting when they did it on side albums like Reanimation) to always be Linkin Park only, but I got over it pretty quickly when they announced Rakim breaking that mold, and thus it didn't take me long to shrug off Kiiara on this one. (Hell, they were both even lead singles for the respective albums...)

I've seen a few people talk negatively about his opening vocals, saying he sounds off, tired, etc... he's supposed to. Especially when he's singing "Wish that I could slow, things, down..." he's stuttering intentionally, to be literally trying to slow things down. Dropping tone when singing "in the panic" was also clearly intentional and what they wanted, probably in part because it isn't a conventional rhyme... or even a rhyme at all. Tones tend to be raised or match the tone of lines prior when they rhyme better. That's just one reason I think though, not the only reason for him singing it that way. All I know is I've imagined it being sung in a similar pitch and it doesn't ever sound right, despite hearing it in my head a few different ways.

He also sounds nothing like Lil' Wayne so that comparison was ridiculous to me.

brady likes this.