Linkin Park - Heavy feat. Kiiara Lyric Video

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Meteorain

Meteorain Well-Known Member

Again... you've called the second half of The Hunting Party the best work Linkin Park has ever done. So even if you think the first half is the worst they've ever done, it doesn't really fall in line with the follow-up level of harshness of comments you make towards the album. At worst it's love/hate or neutral for you.

2. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I know people who will only listen to music if it's approved by Anthony.

Not even joking. Don't understand how this guy got popular or why they listen to this guy's opinions. I don't watch his videos but I'm sure he hates a lot of genres out there and would give negative reviews to anything in said genre so I will never take him seriously.

3. zazofazo

zazofazo Well-Known Member

He basically could hate anything If it isn't kendrick lamar , death grips ,danny brown , David bowie and beyoncè .
    This guy is the definition of hipster nerd and he thinks he's so special because he hates early 2000s rock bands and uses linkin parkish sound as an insult in 2017 .
    His opinion is irrelevant but makes a good laugh I guess

Deliveranze and Blake like this.
  4. Blake

What is not to understand?

Before THP I only disliked 2 Linkin Park songs. After THP that number went up to 8 or 9 (I sometimes like GATS, sometimes dont). So when I only disliked 2 songs out of 5 albums but disliked 9 songs on one album, isn't it a fair assumption to say they will never release music worse than The Hunting Party?

Sure my sentences may exaggerate for the point of emphasis but based on my history with the band it is a fair assumption that they will never release something worse than The Hunting Party in my opinion.

I will say my comments can be so harsh purely because of War and Keys to the Kingdom. Until it Breaks and Robot Boy (the other two songs I don't like) around a 6/10 for me. War and Keys to the Kingdom are 2/10, maybe 3/10 at best. Like they are truly AWFUL to me which is why I think I give The Hunting Party such backlash.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  5. Noosh

Noosh Well-Known Member

I find it to be one of the better old LP tracks tbh. It's like the original Heavy in the sense it has lyrics that make you cock your head in confusion but the instruments and sounds (unf, that reverse guitar) and the sentiment behind it is what makes the song all the more appealing.

6. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

I wish we could debate instead of mindlessly arguing over a song.

7. hybrid1988

hybrid1988 Fever Daydream

That's most (if not a large number of) music reviewers isn't it? I wouldn't expect someone to be able to fairly critique something they adamantly dislike. People will often draw from their own likes and dislikes when discussing something as subjective as music.

I am baffled as to those who are taking such strong offence to Fantano's review of the song. He's never been shy of his distaste for LP. I would never expect him to give a nuanced review of any of their material because he doesn't actively listen to them. I wouldn't expect him to research interviews, pre-release teaser videos, or go through every sound and lyric with a fine tooth comb. Why? because he just doesn't care about the band. And that's OK! He's just providing a quick judgement based on hearing the song at least once. it's not like his or any other reviewers opinion is going to change how much someone enjoys the song.

That being said, I love reading and watching negative reviews to music I enjoy. It offers a nice insight into the minds of those who may dislike it. It's interesting being able to take a step back and see a song for what it may or may not truly be. It can sometimes strengthen my love for it or even bring my opinion back down to reality. As long as you take personal feelings out of the equation, reviews aren't going to harm you.

Sorry Blake. I promise I am not going off on you. I just thought i'd use your post to bounce some thoughts off of. This is directed more towards those that seem to be upset about Fantano's opinions.

full disclosure: I still don't like Heavy. :D

Alexrednex and Blake like this.
  8. Blake

It's all good man! That post didn't even sound like you were going off on anyone. And it gave me insight into why you watch his videos.

I'm personally one who won't take any music critics opinions seriously. There are people who I trust their opinions more than others, so when it comes to music suggestions I'll be more inclined to ask them over others. But when it comes to reviews over music, in the end I just care about my own feelings on the song. I don't care if people don't like Linkin Park, I do and that's all that matters to me.

Also, I should clarify that I don't care if people watch his videos. That's all fine by me. But I know people who literally will tell me "Anthony F didn't like it, so I wont even listen it." Basically they won't even form their own opinions of something if Anthony doesn't like it. Now that is stupid, and for that reason I wish he never got famous and people didn't take his opinions so seriously.

wattmatters and zazofazo like this.
  9. wattmatters

wattmatters Well-Known Member

Guys lets stop this Fantano discussion. :)

Bane and Sasuke like this.
  10. hybrid1988

hybrid1988 Fever Daydream

I'm the same way! As long as I enjoy it I don't care what anyone else thinks. I just enjoy reviews as entertainment. If I get something out of it, even better!

11. Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

Not really, no. He didn't dismiss the song because he thought it was EDM (which by the way, to me saying Heavy is "close enough to EDM" is like saying Given Up is "close enough to death metal"), he dismissed it because he thought it was crap. Now, that's his opinion, and I don't disagree, but all I'm saying is that he didn't even critique the song in any meaningful way. And that's totally okay, that wasn't the point of the video, I just don't see why it's relevant to discuss that here. It's worth mentioning, sure, that a famous critic doesn't like the song, but if there's no analysis or further thought, then there's no point dwelling on it, IMO. Basically, I just can't agree with the "he's a critic so he knows more about a song he's listened to at most three times" line of reasoning, but I guess that's just my opinion. Anyway, my point is that the genre thing was the least important part of my post, and yet it seems to be the bit you keep latching on to. I don't have any problem with Anthony Fantano, I just don't value his opinions inherently more than anyone else's. If anyone, him and every other critic included, offers deep insight into a piece of music, I'll value that tremendously, but a throwaway opinion (even if I don't disagree) on a song by a band he doesn't really like isn't particularly interesting to me in and of itself, especially if he makes sloppy mistakes like not using the right genre (as I said though, that isn't the main reason why I don't think his comment is relevant).

And I don't know why you're attacking me for "staunchly defending" a song I've said in almost every comment that I don't even like, but whatever haha. :lol:

Agreed, this argument's going in circles, so I'll let Blackee reply if he wants to and then I'm done. I love debating, but I don't think either of us are going to convince each other of anything at this point.

12. BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

My favorite part of this song might be the way the second chorus comes in with Kiiara, while my least favorite is her verse. It would have been interesting to have her sing both choruses, and Chester both verses.

13. nikos

nikos Active Member

So, I have a question that's been in my head for some time now. What do you guys consider good lyrics? I mean, I equally enjoy the "sincere" (albeit simply written) lyrics of Heavy and also the "painting a picture" lyrics of Burning In The Skies, for example. I'm not a native English speaker, so that might have something to do with it. I'm really curious in reading what you guys consider LP's greatest lyrics to be.

RapidGunner and Halfway Dwight like this.
  14. Stu

Stu Can't be outmatched or outdone

That ship sailed exactly the minute this song came out unfortunately lol

15. Stu

Stu Can't be outmatched or outdone

We get it. Some people including yourself don't like the song. But some people like the song. It's polarising fans but its not going to kill the band. thats just extreme

Bane likes this.
  16. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

[​IMG]

17. mandylane

mandylane Well-Known Member

:shinado:

18. Mitch

Mitch YTB

Stop. It's getting old really quickly. We get it. You don't like their new music. That's fine as it's your opinion but it's getting insufferable. Why are you self validating your claims with random twitter users? For every person not liking the song there is also a group of people who like it.

Bane likes this.
  19. Blake

Two can play at this game:
    [​IMG]

Bane and Sasuke like this.
  20. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Ah yes, because 5 tweets from random people on the Internet is what decides whether the song is good or not.

That's it everyone, pack your bags, shut down the website, Linkin Park is dead. Over. Done. These 5 people said so, so that means they're over.

Fuck and I was enjoying their music, too. That sucks. Guess I gotta listen to the Chainsmokers and Imagine Dragons and Coldplay now. Damn.

Meteorain and Bane like this.