LPAssociation Interview - Mike Shinoda Discusses New Linkin Park Album 'One More Light'

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Feb 21, 2017.

Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

I feel like One More Light may sound similar to The Messenger, one of my fav LP songs.

Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

Same as BREAKING THE HABIT but way more personal. how he would sing this live?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

Just wanted to touch on this answer a bit. Especially this part:

No instrumentals confirmed? Was probably expected with 10 tracks but still. We atleast have confirmation that all the titles are lyrics from the songs.

Iopia and Andreina like this.
    Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Very likely. Doesn't rule out the possibility of having long instrumental-only parts within the songs themselves, though, but I doubt we'll get that. Safe to say it's gonna be a very track-by-track-focused album.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Fantastic. This site is the only one that can get these kind of answers from Mike, across all media platforms.

Bane, brady, Iopia and 8 others like this.
    Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I'm honored to read that. Thank you. We really do try. I think it comes down to the trust we've built over the years, and our desire to avoid generic questions.

IronDust71, Bane and wattmatters like this.
    AkirraKrylon

AkirraKrylon LPA VIP LPA VIP

Good interview.

Regarding the question to Mike about THP, and their "criticism" at the time of poppy music/lack of real rock music:

"MS: Great question. Think of a gallery painter's shows--each exhibition is its own statement, inspired by where they're at in the moment and what's going on around them. We're not McDonalds, we don't make the same thing over and over. In order for us to be happy, we have to be experimenting and pushing the boundaries of who the band is and what we do. Sometimes that means wild direction changes."

That's fine and everything, I support the band changing direction and doing what makes them happy. 10/10. No issue there at all.

But why make all those statements about how rock music is dead and everything is poppy even from rock bands etc etc? It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth hearing them say all that and putting out an album like THP, and then following it up with a song like Heavy.

Why couldn't they just say "This is where we are at right now. We are in a heavy rock mood, here's what we made" and called it a day.

Looking forward to hearing the rest of the album, but looking back at all the things they were saying around THP just feels disingenuous.

*shrug*

Decay likes this.
    Orena

Orena LP soldier, Writer

Since Mike always said 'We put those to the trash...' no one ever asked about what really happened to those, and honestly it didn't matter. I'd just been always curious about them.

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Agreed 100%. And I think I'm never gonna be okay with that whole debacle unless there's a proper "sorry, I should've worded that differently".

During the ATS-era the band made me more open-minded towards other types of music, eventually got me into producing my own music and it was a shame to see them, especially Mike, go down that road during the THP-cycle since it directly contradicted the established identity of the band that inspired me back in the day. It continues to sour every statement that's come since then.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

And that ain't a bad thing for me, back then when MTV Unplugged was a thing, I would hope LP could do one of those. And getting new material instead of already existing songs is already a plus.

Blake and Stonecold like this.
    Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

That's easy to say with hindsight, but maybe they didn't know they were going to be making such a huge departure on the next album?

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Where does it say exactly that Mike sings in One More Light? (The song)

Also great interview, LPA, I'm proud of all the staff and their hard work coming up with interesting and informative questions. Good job!

I am also happy to hear Mike sings more on this album. Hope he sings at least one song by himself though.

Derek

@AkirraKrylon Perhaps he felt hungry to chase that hard rock sound and experiment in that space, and 'got it out of his system' by making THP. It's entirely possible that he grew out of it after making that album, and that what he was craving musically changed in the time that followed. People will cry that it lacks integrity to make such a big shift to more accessible music, but look at my music taste: From about 2010 to 2013ish, I was heavily into electronic music and EDM. Now I barely listen to it anymore. When THP came out in 2014, I was listening to a lot of metal and hard rock music, and celebrated LP's return to a heavier sound. Fast forward to 2017 and the last time I completely played THP in full was over a year ago. My playlist at the moment? Softer rock, even some pop. A lot of the heavier music on the radio now bores me. Bands are sounding the same, and artists like Papa Roach are dropping new singles that sound the same as they did a decade ago.

People's tastes or cravings for certain genres of music change, and I feel that's no more true when you're an artist making music. A great case in point is how LP loved their Hybrid Theory sound enough to make two albums out of it, only to grow tired of it and spend the next two albums running away from it.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

At what point did the band say "We're only doing rock music from now on"? You seem to be projecting for some reason, because I personally took his statement as, "For this album, we wanted to make a rock record." It's fairly obvious that each album release cycle has a different mission statement. You've been here since the ATS album cycle, you REALLY should have picked up on that by now.

The only thing that appears to be disingenuous is your interpretation of sentences.

Meteorain, brady and Andreina like this.
    AkirraKrylon

@Derek I totally hear what you're saying. And like I said, I have absolutely no issue with them going different directions with each album. More power to them. I'm just giving my take on their statements regarding "rock music no longer being the alternative", and "rock groups putting out music very similar to what you would hear on mainstream radio", and then turning around and making Heavy :D To be clear, I'm not saying that's bad or wrong! Just that it's a complete 180 on the very next album cycle. Edit: Moreover, that it comes off as a direct contradiction to what they were criticizing (I use that word very loosely here) just 1 album ago.

@Minus At what point in my post did I accuse the band of saying they were only doing rock music from now on? Seems like you also have an issue with the interpretation of sentences ^_^

Decay likes this.
    Minus

Although I guess that could be misinterpreted, but I mean-

The glove fits, OJ.

Derek

@AkirraKrylon Oh trust me, Heavy shocked me too when I first heard it. This was probably the biggest 180 the band has ever done.

Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

This is the reason why they're my favorite band. you'll never know what you were get next.

AkirraKrylon

Except "This is where we are at right now. We are in a heavy rock mood, here's what we made" is not what they said. At least not all they said.

They said things like:

"Like, you listen to it and you go, like, 'C'mon, guys, you're making a jingle. This is not, like, an alternative to what's going on in the mainstream anymore at all.' "

As I mentioned, I don't necessarily have a problem with the direction of the album in a vacuum. But lol @ Mike saying shit like the above line and then going in the current direction. He should be held accountable for saying dumb shit, it's ok to criticize him for that. I don't have an issue with the music itself.

Minus

Rhetorical questions being taken as a statement that the band will only do rock music forever. En vogue since 2014.

Still sounds like an album statement only to me, not a "this is all the band will do forever". You're still projecting.