LPAssociation Interview - Mike Shinoda Discusses New Linkin Park Album 'One More Light'

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Just to close this one for good (at least on my end)

1. It's not the only quote out there from him, and I'm not arsed to look under the rocks to get it.

2. It could be McDonalds or any fucking thing out there, but *personally* I don't see why does he have to promote LP like that, there is absolutely no need for it and Mike is definitely intelligent enough to know better.

Maybe I'm just on a different mindset but I wouldn't go around promoting my work using that kind of catchphrase. I would rather focus on the positive things I'm presenting rather than saying 'this is good because it's not X'.

Moving on now.

2. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I find it more hysterical that the quote that people are angriest about (him talking about NIN etc) came from my Altwire interview. I knew I had a juicy quote when I posted that and sure enough I wasn't wrong :lol:

3. Mitch

Mitch YTB

I don't think there is anything wrong with Mike mentioning McDonald's. He's not lying, and he's not even putting them down. Mike is just using McDonald's as an example to explain their mindset in creating music.

4. Flozuki

Flozuki LPA VIP LPA VIP

Actually, since the McDonalds thing is really blown out of proportion: it isn't even a negative statement, it is just a statement that covers that they need something new every time while other people prefer repeating patterns, structures, etc.

5. ciao_fiv

ciao_fiv We Are Still Humanz

I agree! In Between is my favorite MTM track ;)

Blake and Iopia like this.
  6. mandylane

mandylane Well-Known Member

greeat interview!

7. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Boy he just side-stepped that like a fucking champ...

Hans Muster likes this.
  8. merrillmind

merrillmind Well-Known Member

This LPA interview is really insightful. I can remember similar interviews from the release of previous albums that have included early mentions of song lyrics and those are some my favorite parts of the pre-album release hype.

This interview with Chester today with Elvis Duran today was awesome!

RapidGunner likes this.
  9. Blackee Dammet

Yeah, when you cut off the insult, it does look like he didn't say anything insulting...

Even if you want to argue he totally wasn't talking about them (immediately after talking about them...) it's hard to see him sit there and say "Disney commercial music" and be baffled as to why anyone thought he was taking a dig at them.

10. Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

LP have been repeating patterns and structures since HT. Nearly all their songs have the same verse chorus structure and so many of those verses and choruses sound the same.

11. mmmmtastycookies

mmmmtastycookies Not black & white, only organized confusion

Thanks for the exclusive interview LPA! I come here for all the latest and greatest during these album cycles.

Looking forward to hearing more off One More Light. I am hoping that the shift in style as akin to Waiting For The End or Breaking the Habit. I think these are two examples of how "poppy" the band can get, all while mixing some interesting samples and keeping things fresh.

Assuming that Chester's comment in that interview about other features on the album might be what was referenced when we heard that there were more surprises in store for this release. I myself was thinking it would be really cool if they released a more mellow album side and a heavier side B // double album. Similar to when Foo did In Your Honor.

Xero-G likes this.
  12. Gravity_LP

Gravity_LP Well-Known Member

Lol what's done is done, you can't do much about it anyway so chilll. Mike is only human he make mistakes too

13. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Sorry, I thought they were separate quotes by the way the previous person split them into paragraphs. Honestly didn't know that came right after. But still kinda blown out of proportion imo.

14. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

I think this thing is called music. :shinado:
    Nope! he's not allowed to be a human who makes mistakes. because he's our marionette that always do what we stated as correct and write the fucking music that we want him to write.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  15. Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

There's so many variations of song that can be made that LP hasn't even come close to, but they keep making What I've Dones. Final Masquerade, I'll Be Gone, In My Remains, New Divide, Heavy, Burn it Down, they're all basically variations of the same song.

16. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

The girl from CHVRCHES thought Mike meant they sounded "commercial" and took offense. If Mike would have just stopped at Nick Jr. I'd assume people would still be mad, but ignore the fact that Nick Jr. does (or did) have shows that feature synthpop, and CHVRCHES is a synthpop band.

17. LPJM46

LPJM46 Member

I am honestly baffled that people are actually upset about what Mike said...dude who cares.

It's inevitable for discussions between LP fans to get a little ridiculous, but my god this album cycle is probably the worst lol. I can respect a constructive discussion talking about certain opinions on the new music, but complaining about what Mike said 3 years ago, which wasn't even remotely as bad as some people are making it out to be, is SO stupid. Also, are we seriously going to even bring up his comment on McDonalds......c'mon man....

On a brighter note, Chester's Instagram story is hilarious lmao.

18. Blackee Dammet

Ok? The dude still came across as a total douche after the fact. Added the fact that saying that, and a little under 2 years later doing so, openly embracing full fledged pop music to the point of addressing detractors of it with a "lol grow up we're beyond genres!" comes across just as douchey, especially considering the unsaid implication of it seems to be he believes he can do pop music better than those bands he was referencing earlier.

LPA is an infamously pro-Mike -sometimes to the point of being detrimental- community, but the fact of the matter is he came across poorly during that time period whether he intended to or not. And it looks even worse in hindsight, not only because of the new direction of the songs, but as I mentioned before, completely side-stepping when asked about it directly with by making it about how him/the band are just so creative they have no time for your silly genres; completely ignoring the point.

19. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Who would even know this? :samuel:

20. LPJM46

LPJM46 Member

I feel like "douchey" is going just a little too far. I seriously don't understand this uproar, and I'm not just "pro-mike" and defending him. I am really trying to look at this objectively and I don't see why it's a big deal or why he's looked at as a hypocrite. Haven't we all said something in the past, then totally changed are minds later? Not trying to sound too deep, but isn't that a human thing to do? Change our perspectives on things? Am I the only one who has thought certain music was "eh" and then as time passes I realized I actually liked it and it grew on me? Idk I'm just so confused why this is bothering so many people and how they don't see how completely normal it is that Mike spoke his mind openly about pop music at the time and craved heavier music, then 3 years later became inspired to create electronic/pop sounds because sonically it worked better with the new songs. I feel like hypocrite is used too loosely and shouldn't be used when someone simply gains a new perspective or learns to appreciate something. A hypocrite is someone who literally intentionally pretends to believe in something or do something, but then totally doesn't and lied.

Iopia likes this.