Linkin Park - Heavy feat. Kiiara Lyric Video

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

Definitely! I don't even understand how people who only like one genre can even get into LP in the first place? They got so much diversity.

Punk- War
    Metal- Guilty All The Same
    Nu Metal- One Step Closer
    Rap Metal- Hit The Floor
    Pop Rock- Numb
    Pop- Heavy
    R&B- She Couldn't
    Electro Rock- Lies Greed Misery
    Industrial- Wretches And Kings
    Reggae- Waiting For The End
    Alternative Rock- What I've Done
    Hip Hop- High Voltage
    EDM- A Light That Never Comes
    Folk- Roads Untraveled

and the guys still continue to push. Even their most formulaic song still have elements that make them unique.

2. wattmatters

wattmatters Well-Known Member

Still people will say they're sold out.

Deliveranze likes this.
  3. Deliveranze

I mean, I remember reading a thread from 2003 that LP sold out when Meteora dropped.

I read a Reanimation review from 2002 that LP sold out.

Hell, if someone was really hipster, some would say LP sold out on Hybrid Theory compared to Xero or Hybrid Theory EP. :p

The band is going to lose a fan regardless. I bet if they dropped a nu metal album today, people would say "there's no passion" or "it doesn't sound the same!!" even if they do the exact same thing.

minuteforce and wattmatters like this.
  4. wattmatters

People will say it is forced. Just like they said for THP. They are heading towards Pop and THP is a forced attempt.
    Haha.

Deliveranze likes this.
  5. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

I was on the band's official forum back then and they were actually saying that :lol: - tbh though, Hybrid Theory is a much better collection of songs than the HT EP or anything from Xero (aside from maybe Mike being a better lyricist before).

Some people are just never happy and always petty about anything the band does that doesn't fit their vision of LP. I remember people saying that LP sold out once ITE became successful, which makes no sense. It's like... the fuckin song was always on the album.

Iopia, Deliveranze and wattmatters like this.
  6. wattmatters

I complained about the short length of HEAVY in the forums earlier.

But I take it back now considering Bleed it Out was 2:44 and One Step Closer was 2:36.

Man how did I not see it in the first place.

brady and Deliveranze like this.
  7. Wizardofozil

Wizardofozil Well-Known Member

Someone blocked me on Facebook because I called this cover shit

8. MattLP

MattLP No control No surprise

Wow this is mega crap. As a big fan of rap metal this is really bad, is the dude even rapping? I cant tell

Sasuke likes this.
  9. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Just want to say that Nu-Metal and Rap Metal are basically the same thing with two different names.

That's what I took away from the list above.

Captain-EO likes this.
  10. Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

[​IMG]

Abel, HybridT, chris2 and 7 others like this.
  11. Deliveranze

I was just reading other forums when Meteora dropped. :lol:
    Also I agree. The songwriting is way better on HT then previous stuff. I think I like HT more because Mike still had complex rhymes but didn't force a bunch of random rhyming syllables. It was well structured. Less so on Meteora. But Meteora is more listenable cause the production is better imo. Just aged more graceful in terms of sonically imo.
    I mean yeah, true to a degree but I think nu metal can be hip hop, reggae or urban influences in metal without actual rapping.

At least from what I know. But yeah, I don't really differentiate between the two.

12. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

I feel like we're going around in circles on this thread since the song was released. But I will say it again (for the last time):
    most people who are hating LP these days don't have problem with them diving into different genres, but with LP pandering to the masses by making the most uninspired, washed down music created just to attract as many people as possible.

zayl likes this.
  13. crazygolfer

crazygolfer Well-Known Member

:jesse:

14. Deliveranze

HASHTAG BRING GREY DAZE BACK!

Blake and crazygolfer like this.
  15. zayl

zayl Friendly neighbor revenge seeking vigilante

This

i don't mind LP being popish. but I really hoped that Heavy would be a better song in general, personally i wouldn't mind if it was a freaking synthpop and still a good song it's genre. :)
    Heavy is generic 6/10 stuff I will forget about in a month and skip it during the album's listening.

Still an LP fan, not going to unlike it on Facebook, so keep calm, no need to call the SWAT Team. :)

16. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Devil's advocate: people accuse LP of things like "pandering " and sounding "uninspired" any time they don't like a new sound.

Abel, Gibs, Captain-EO and 3 others like this.
  17. MagmaXtreme

MagmaXtreme Well-Known Member

Rather than thinking of what the band's intentions were (or making ridiculous statements about what genre(s) they should be doing), might be worth looking at what's more tangible i.e. "Heavy", the song.

And even then, it still comes down to them making a song which:
    • Is considered safe - there's not much risk in making a pop song that fits in with other songs currently in the mainstream & on the radio
    • We've heard it before - with respect to progression, vocal melodies, song structure etc. (this wouldn't be an issue if the songwriting compensated for this)
    • They're making music which others can make and have made - but others do it better (hence LP is contributing to a market that's already over-saturated and not really adding anything that stands out or is unique)
    • There are some issues with the songwriting: they overuse the hook without much variance (pretty tiring), on the second verse there is an abrupt change in note velocity (it's not smoothly crafted), wasted opportunity on the bridge as nothing here enhances the song (musically or creatively), the intro too quickly dives into the first verse and the song ends abruptly, Chester's vocal performance pales in comparison with Kiiara's, some of the vocal performance feels forced as opposed to organic...
    I could go on, though looking at LP's history, the singles aren't always the best songs - so we'll see what OML has to offer.

Iopia, TheZlajaZlo and minuteforce like this.
  18. LPaddicts23

LPaddicts23 New Member

Ads were placed on Casting Networks Los Angeles, looking for actors to play as therapy patients, and even doubles of Kiiara and Chester Bennington, as well as a stuntman or a fighter for the music video, indicating that the collaboration would be released as a single, as the description would read "interesting characters in a therapy session!". When shooting took place from February 6 to February 7, 2017, it was done in partnership with the Mercedes-AMG that features a Mecedes-AMG GT.

(c) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_(Linkin_Park_song)

19. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

You make some good points - with this one, I would still argue that the band took the risk of angering the hordes of irate nu-metal and ~rock~ fans, something that I feel can't easily be overlooked. That said, I don't know if I'd consider it as big a risk as releasing a song that isn't a good fit for radio

We saw that listing when it first appeared and we made a news post about it. :)

20. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I think some of the detractors in here need to listen to the Elvis Duran interview, as Chester laid it out very openly why they chose to do a pop song, and the answer was this: because they wanted to. He made it very clear that he knew it was a pop song, but also stated that he felt that other songs they've written before (In The End, Numb, Pushing Me Away, Numb/Encore etc) were pop too. He even went on to say (paraphrasing here) that they don't want to be tied to just alternative or rock music, and that they want Linkin Park to become a 'thing' where they can literally put any kind of music or any genre they want.

So people who are feeling the band have sacrificed integrity or 'sold out' by going pop, have missed the point of Heavy/this record. It is literally the band's way of saying 'we'll do whatever we want', past comments be damned.

Abel, Gibs, minuteforce and 2 others like this.