Kerrang! Magazine Interview with Linkin Park

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Mar 1, 2017.

Meteorain

Meteorain Well-Known Member

Lol yeah it's cool, I didn't take it badly. It's also really hard for me to get upset enough to start a fight... so don't worry.

In the End actually still gets radio play today on that rock station I mentioned, 102.1 The Edge, in Toronto.

But yeah I didn't mean to oversimplify what you said earlier about pop being popular. It seemed for a second like some of you were suggesting that, but reading your follow-up post (which I hadn't read before writing that) helped. I admit to being a bit facetious with that line where I threw in the chicken/egg reference, which was unnecessary of me. Sorry about that.

Iopia likes this.
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

That Admiral Ackbar (RIP) sample was removed from the album after Disney threatened to call in the big guns.

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

Well you never know how these things go on the internet so it's best to play it safe if it isn't absolutely crucial to the discussion. :lol:

And there's nothing to apologize over, the internet's full of walls of text. It's actually pretty big of you to admit you hadn't yet read it instead of just doubling down like so many others do. :)

Meteorain

That actually is pretty funny, but I think we can tell he's saying it more jokingly than anything, and saying compared to the bands who were there at a show called Hellfest. Bands such as :

hellfest-2017-lineup-poster-2.jpg

....I was lazy to type them out, lol.

If Chester truly believes his band is like the Backstreet Boys, out of this context, and generally speaking... guess I'll have to go 2 for 2 in disagreements with him.

Meteorain

I actually do often try to wait and see if there are follow-up posts on things before I respond... my message was pretty lengthy and I guess I was thinking "ok I've been writing for a while, still don't see follow-up, maybe it's not coming"...and then as soon as I submit my post, I see the follow-up haha. Just my luck.

minuteforce

Back then, it was nonetheless a fairly common way to describe Linkin Park in the context of then-current rock music anyway. Their sound, as I said, was more accessible than most hard rock music at the time, and they had the look and the moves and everything.

EDIT: and let's not forget the audience.

Gravity_LP likes this.
    Meteorain

"We show up tp those hardcore like, really heavy metal, like, death metal festivals"...
    "We're a little too pop for hard rock, and a little too hard rock for pop"

I know you heard but, just wanted to point it out :) (in a non asshole way I promise. If it came across that way, I didn't intend for it)

Fair about it having been a common way to describe Linkin Park. It's actually something I had even heard before (just never had a name or anybody to quote on it, but generally I heard it float around here or there, or at least the idea of it. For one, the cover of Minutes to Midnight, I heard "boyband of rock"). I just never really agreed with it. That's not in a way to say "Don't anybody dare compare LP to BSB!" because I actually think BSB was fine for what they were lol.

Also haha I'm not really thinking those One Step Closer moves and that look in the video you linked were really like Backstreet's look or moves... but that was funny to watch with that in mind.

minuteforce

I'd say that people were partly just envious over the incredible commercial success. And the band members' looks and hairstyles, which definitely played a part in making them a craze at the time -- EDIT: and, actually, was the true reason @Derek fell in love with the band and started Linkin Park Association.

Meteorain

Definitely agree with that, especially about being envious of the success. Seems like not that long ago and yet forever ago that Mike had that red hair... geeze. Time flies.

Speaking of which, it's nice that despite Chester mentioning wanting to concentrate on being a father, that later in the same Kerrang interview you get to read "We have long careers ahead of us".

I'm not ready for a world where this band is finished... I probably never will be ready for that.

minuteforce

Nowadays, I'm almost thinking about Linkin Park as if they're a brand-new act just making their first impact on radio. Much of the younger side of mainstream radio's audience, which I assume make up the majority, are only being introduced to LP now with this new single, and the band has taken up a brand-new sound on that single to boot

Well, that red hair is what made Linkin Park famous. :mike:

EDIT: on that note, their videos also played a big role. The band had a winning streak with their now-iconic videos during their first two album cycles.

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

Imagine their faces when they listen to "Crawling" for the first time

Meteorain

Oh absolutely. The videos for One Step Closer, and then I think even moreso for Crawling and In the End. Faint was another I remember being a pretty big deal.

I had friends who either didn't know about the band or just weren't listening to them come up to me saying "That video with all the ice shattering and stuff was really cool"... and I was like "Oh you mean for Crawling". Awesome videos, especially for their time. I liked how they incorporated other artistic talents into their videos, like that of Mike and Joe with their sketches and designs, being incorporated into videos like those for In the End, Somewhere I Belong and Breaking the Habit.

I know music videos aren't what they used to be, or aren't as important to studios I guess, but I hope One More Light produces a few cool ones. I also kind of hope Joe Hahn returns as director for at least one of them, though I have my doubts that'll happen.

minuteforce

Studios have taken their time coming around to the significance of music videos in the age of YouTube because YouTube views get them less money than Spotify streams and the like. Nonetheless, high-quality videos drop every other day because the barrier for entry has dropped way down, for videos and for music in general. Thanks to YouTube and other services like it, the market is saturated, to say the least.

I don't know if Linkin Park will get the kind of budgets they would like - they've faced cuts on previous videos which forced them to scale back their ideas - but it's possible. Still, the game has changed significantly over the last decade and some. LP won't be kings of the medium like they (arguably) used to be.

Andreina likes this.
    LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

I'd argue that WFTE's music video is the best they've made tho. Especially how they incorporated various artwork from ATS. Also the visual representation was just incredible stuff from Joe.
    I might be a bit biased tho since that's my fav song from LP.

lovablepanda likes this.
    Meteorain

Mike kind of admitted that while the album is personal and not political, there was someone who pushed for Heavy to be the first single from One More Light because when you look at the news today, things kind of feel heavy. I wonder if they'll be prodded or influenced to have the music video follow suit in any way at all.

Probably short of actually showing Donald Trump or the Syrian crisis on a television set... but perhaps something more subtle. Spliced in with shots of the band, and Kiiara.

Either way I'm interested to see the approach they take with the video. As well as if One More Light (song) becomes a single, as many think it will, and it's been said it's a really sad song... what they do with that video...

Nimz Lp

Nimz Lp niimz94

Any news on the track Invisible? Do we have a leak or a review of the song?

Meteorain

I've never seen a video from them I didn't like. I loved the fire and slow-down effects of Burn it Down. Final Masquerade had layers to it where you're left trying to interpret, and that was cool. Crawling and In the End have sentimental value to me, and I still think hold up well today for different reasons. Castle of Glass was another one I really liked.

minuteforce

Well, Chester smashed a television set as part of the video shoot ... but I'd trust LP not to taint the song like that. :)
    Nothing yet.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

You know, discussions like we've had in this thread and other threads concerning the new album, are a huge reason why I enjoy being a Linkin Park fan. I know they're not the only group or artist out there to blend genres (far from it), but I love how they change so wildly from record to record that just one song from a new record is enough to make the fanbase launch into intelligent and well thought out discussions on genre, exactly what is 'pop', and argue what umbrella the band fits under.

I don't think 15 year old me listening to Hybrid Theory would've ever expected the band's music to go in all the different directions it did, but I'm glad this is the path they took. Because we all know in 2-3 years with LP8 we're all going to be just as confused or surprised by their next 'new sound' and that's why I love this band. You literally cannot predict what they'll do next as they thrive on doing the polar opposite of what everyone else expects them to do.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

The Killers ARE a rock band