Kerrang! Magazine Interview with Linkin Park

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

You guys know what i mean. If there wouldnt be LP in the name, i honestly wouldnt care for such a track.

2. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

Yes! exactly . "genre" is still the same, but the style of the production is different.
    Sadly but this is what people notice at first when they hear a song. like "Heavy" as example, people hate it just because the Production stuff isn't what they used to know is Linkin Park.
    Imo, the quality of a song don't depend on the loudness of the drums or guitars, it only depens on how you connect with that song.
    For example when i've heard "Final Masquerade" for the first. I cried because I loved that melody so much. not because the drums or the guitars were heavy. :)
    Not enough guitarzz. :kappa:
    No but seriously, the reason why i love Linkin Park is not because they make noise and scream. i love them because they give me a special feeling no one else can do.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  3. Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

I agree and I feel the exact same way, but for me I just don't feel that's because of the choice in instruments alone (although obviously I can't speak for your tastes haha). If Heavy had been released in a What I've Done, pure soft-rock sort of style, I doubt my feelings towards the song would be much different.

4. Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

I can not wait for a new Fort Minor album after One More Light. It's about damn time.

5. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

So basically I agree with your post, and just want to add my input. The message below is directed at everyone

It all depends on what you define as heavy. There are also different tiers of heavy. For example, people were complaining that the new Motionless in White track "Loud" wasn't heavy after the band promised a heavier album. However, the track IS heavy. There is no screaming vocals in the song which is what people were expecting. But the instrumentation itself is heavy. Vocals aren't the way to make a song heavy. And while Loud is heavy, it isn't going to be as heavy as a full on deathcore track from Suicide Silence.

Now when it comes to Linkin Park, most of there songs aren't heavy, but obviously it would be heavier than an Ed Sheeran track. Just like how vocals don't automatically make a song soft, vocals don't automatically make a song heavy. When it comes to Linkin Park a lot of their songs have screaming but aren't heavy. Think of songs like Runaway, One Step Closer, and Don't Stay. They have screams but don't really feel heavy. Linkin Park has never really felt heavy to me. In the 2000s, how many bands have actually had mainstream success off of being heavy? The only bands that come to mind are Slipknot, Disturbed and Avenged Sevenfold. And Disturbed doesn't use screaming. As a big fan of heavy music myself and seeing how most bands don't get popular beyond Warped Tour status level, if Linkin Park was heavy I guarantee you they would have never had the success they did.

I mean this when I say this, the only heavy album Linkin Park has is The Hunting Party. And that is an album that has a lot of softer songs in the mix of an overall heavy album. Along with this the number of heavy songs Linkin Park has is WAY smaller than the amount of non-heavy songs.

Sasuke and Kareem Saad like this.
  6. deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Obviously they aren't heavy to most of us because we're used to much heavier stuff, but compared to the song heavy it is.

7. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

I guess you forget System Of A Down

8. Blake

True, I did :D

But weren't they most popular in the 90s anyway when heavier music was more accepted?

9. zazofazo

zazofazo Well-Known Member

Actually no , they were most popular in early 2000's with singles such as chop suey, "hypnotized" , "B.Y.O.B " , etc

10. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

"Toxicity" came out in 2001. their most popular record.

11. Blake

I'm all messed up:timothy:

Got my dates all wrong