Linkin Park - 'Heavy' Music Video Released

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Mar 9, 2017.

1. lordblood

lordblood Radiance of a Thousand Suns

At least with the Transformers ones, the songs were fully featured in the movies (especially with Iridescent), so it felt more like a collaboration.
    I completely forgot about CASTLE OF GLASS though...that was probably worse than Heavy lol.

2. One More Rob

One More Rob Well-Known Member

Can you call those product placement though? In a way sure, but its like its a movie/game theme song so it uses bits from that in the video. I see it more like a collaboration rather than straight product placement.

brady likes this.
  3. Stu

Stu Can't be outmatched or outdone

I've watched this several times and im slightly disappointed with the video but not too much. Visually this video is really good but it feels like its missing a few things. Maybe im just being picky and missing things that are obvious but I just feel Chesters story in the video was better explained visually than Kiiara's and there isn't really a resolution to the story. I'm happy to be corrected if i'm missing something. It's not the best thing in the world but it isn't the worst. I just feel the story could have been better explained but I could be missing something

4. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

Maybe it's not the same but Transformers still a product too.
    And WID wasn't seriously though :lol:. but for me putting those typical CNN politics bullshit in a music video is WAAAAAAY more worse than few seconds of a Mercedes product placement in Heavy's video.

5. dutchsoldier

dutchsoldier Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"Car" commercial :kappa:

Aannnd more serious: I like the video very well. The down to earth approach works for me after the recent more abstract ones which were great for those songs. The acting and filming are well executed especially the fighting scene and where it kicks in. It just fits the song as the lyrics are displayed nicely and you can literally see Chester being in the bad place that resides in his head. That's some fragile stuff right there imo.

Now... ready for the next song :p

6. Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

I actually like how it's just Chester and Kiiara in this. It fits the song and also fits their live performance where the focus was on them alone. I'm sure we will get other music videos with band shots during this album cycle.

I think the story/action is a little too fast paced for the video but I guess that might be because the song is pretty short. It's nice to see Chester acting. I also like the Chester vs Chester fight scene at the end.

The front Mercedes shot made me laugh when I first saw it because it seemed really random, but I don't give a fuck enough for it to bother me. I guess Mercedes/LP did the job right as most people in this thread are discussing the car shots so they've succeeded in getting the brand promoted, for better or worse. :lol:

Modern Guitar God, Abel and brady like this.
  7. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

The Mercedes thing was also pretty hyped by both partys in the time before the video released. So i dont have any problems with it because it was clear something like this will happen :lol:

Abel, TobinKnowsBest and Sasuke like this.
  8. Non-Pattern

Non-Pattern You’re about as sharp as a bowling ball

This is probably their most intense MV to date, after 'From the Inside' or 'The Catalyst'(in my opinion). Chester wasn't kidding when he said it was very violent. I do have to say though, aside the fact that it's a tad short, I kinda hate the short cuts throughout the video, I personally would have preferred longer takes for some parts of the video, esp during the verses. And the AMG shots were slightly off-putting, but not something I feel destroys the whole MV.

P.S: Which MV do you guys feel is the most intense/violent?
    P.S.S: With the debate of which MVs are "unoriginal" and "unfitting", all I have to say is that if the MV suits the overall theme and art direction of the album, it's good to me. I don't think you can compare which one is better, similar to the reason you can't compare album to album(throwing away personal preferences), as we all know LP's discography diversity.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    Mathieu Alpha likes this.
  9. Eric James Aguigam

Eric James Aguigam Well-Known Member

I personally love this video. It's extremely emotional, and the acting is really good.

I prefer it when music videos are story based rather than performance based. I find performance based videos a bit boring. If I wanna see the band perform, I'll go watch one of their live videos, or even better, actually go and see them live.

10. Fleur de Lys

Fleur de Lys Well-Known Member

My thoughts on product placement in music videos: Fans shouldn't get to have everything digitally for free, and then complain when artists have to find new ways to cover production costs. It doesn't bother me at all, if it doesn't affect story/message.

ciao_fiv, Abel, Kilmer and 2 others like this.
  11. lordblood

lordblood Radiance of a Thousand Suns

I don't have an issue with sponsorship at all, in fact I defended LP when they were being sponsored by Porsche Design to a few friends that complained about it. I just don't like the sponsors corrupting the actual art that the band is producing. Starting the video with "Sponsored by Mercedes" then cutting to the actual music video would have been better.

12. cloudscream

cloudscream Static

The video looked great! However, the violence could've been a bit complemented or enhanced by some guitars or industrial-esque synth. The Justin Bieber-sounding studio pop in the background made the violence look like child's play.

I easily thought this might have been a NIN video.

13. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Justin Bieber sounding studio pop?

:wat:

Abel, Halfway Dwight and Sasuke like this.
  14. crazygolfer

crazygolfer Well-Known Member

Child's Play is such an underrated horror film. The newer ones were shit, but the original was pretty good. :halfkappa:

15. LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

I really enjoyed this video. Also, Chester really acted well in this. Whenever he sings "Why is everything so heavy" and the video shows him, he really acted well in those scenes.
    Liked this video more than I thought I would. It did make the song a bit better for me as well. Definitely one of their stronger videos.

Ey. We are 3 weeks in guys.
    The song has minimal guitars.
    Calling this Justin Bieber music is not an insult.

Move on already from these comments. Jeez.

ciao_fiv and Sasuke like this.
  16. BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree about the cuts being too short. It looks like a film that was made to be ~5 minutes, that got a pretty brutal treatment on the cutting room floor and doesn't have the full effect that it could. For some moments the short cuts really work, but definitely not all the time. It's true that you can still kind of understand what's going on, but sometimes that's not a reason to pack tons of cuts in versus informative, long, emotional shots.

I kind of agree about the fact that the music videos will definitely change depending on the album style, but really I don't think we've had that much consistency for each album. I mean, UIG/FM and LITE/BID/COG don't really feel like they're trying to give off the same visual style, at least not as much as the ATS videos imo. I'm imagining that for this album there won't be a lot of similarities either, since I'm imagining this album is going to feel more like "a collection of songs" (vs a continuous, concept record sound) than any other album.

17. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I don't mind that there was a car in the video but I feel that they could've picked one that better fit the palette and vibe of the video instead of something that stands out so strongly.

Overall, I like the mood and the performances but I think, because of the song's length and pacing, the video and its story move a little bit too quickly ... as others have already brought up :lol:

I can definitely say I like this way, way more than the "Lost In The Echo" video, not gonna compare it too much to any others just yet.

18. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

This music video is worse than the song.

19. Tony Fields

Tony Fields I believe in Pictureboard

Syberia is not as bad as everyone think.
    Believe me, I'm Russian

Valley of Death is much worse.

20. Tony Fields

Tony Fields I believe in Pictureboard

so the only problem you have with this video is a product placement?

Not the fucking flying whale? Not the fucking flying monks? Not the fucking flashy album art? Not the fucking burning Mannequin challenge?

I understand your maths like this:
    No sense at all + no commercials = good, great, perfect music video.
    A deep theme covered + a bit of product placement = I hate this, this is crap, you won't fool me, you won't own my money, you fockin' capitalistic pigs!

Being serious - can't you just pass over this fucking Mercedes footage (I hate it already) and look a bit deeper? Because that's the real problem.