Linkin Park - Good Goodbye to feature Stormzy and Pusha T

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Mar 18, 2017.

1. zazofazo

zazofazo Well-Known Member

Let's just hope this doesn't affect album sales as much as It did for ATS ..
    I really don't wanna see LP becoming some sort of mockery or an example of a band trying to reach new audience and failing because no one is going to take LP seriously after that .

2. zayl

zayl Friendly neighbor revenge seeking vigilante

I don't think that this album will polarize the fanbase and critics as much as e.g. Korn's "The Path of Totality" did - I'd rather predict reviews to oscilate near medium notes than ambivalent, when one critic says it's five stars of five and other gives 1/10 - it was totally messed during PoT time.

Korn was mocked but their next albums proved they still have something to say in the genre. In the case of LP we can't be sure if the next albums will be a disco or trash metal or violins only records but only the quality of the record will be a deciding factor since we will be ready for anything after OML.

3. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

@zayl The issue is that I actually thought Path of Totality was a good album :shrug:. I consider it to be one of Korn's more underrated works, and a great example of a band collaborating with other artists and doing it RIGHT.

4. zayl

Well I think that there are many good song too, but I don't like to listen to it as a whole - it tires me and bores (more or less). But yes, it is an example of well made collaboration and genre-switch. But also example that this musical affair doesn't have to bulid a pernament relationship :)

5. Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

I'm a bit suspicious about this album cycle, though. I have a feeling that we'll be getting a double album just like Future releasing 2 albums in a year. If they made 20 demos then I don't think they trashed all the remaining demos.

AndreyKamensky likes this.
  6. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

You guys are trippin' if you don't like The Path of Totality.

Blake likes this.
  7. zayl

I used it as an exaplme of extremaly fan base and critics dividing album, simultaneously I'm not saying i don't like it. :)

8. Henry

Henry Mochiagete, Tokihanashite.

I can see that there will be another major forces in LP's fanbase: the Linkin Popper.

My god I can't wait another polarizing album after OML. Can you imagine how saucy LPA will become?

9. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

LP had a lot of teeny boppers in 2001 though.

Andreina likes this.
  10. wattmatters

wattmatters Well-Known Member

Yea then we'll have usernames on LPA like One More Light Purist. Haha :D

11. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

I know what you were getting at. I remember when that album came out a lot of people here (and everywhere else) shit on it.

People think Korn are so irrelevant and they're not. They're still touring huge, selling out arenas and festivals and are still making good music. They've experimented from time to time but people just give them shit because it doesn't down like Follow the Leader.

Sounds like some other band I know. Hm.

Sasuke likes this.
  12. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Linkin Park already are viewed by many (the ones who don't remember them releasing two albums and then disappearing after 2004...) as trend hoppers. This'll reinforce that idea, but it's not a new one.

Worth keeping in mind, and even Chester has been arguing this in recent interviews, that not only has Linkin Park had huge pop elements in their music all along, but their biggest hits have generally been the poppier songs (In The End, Numb, Waiting for the End, etc). They're already a thing.

13. BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

Double album - nah. LP8 much sooner than later because they have so many songs close that they still like that didn't fit this album? Possible, if Mike doesn't decide he hates everything he's made again.

14. Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

That's how most bands would do it; either release a longer album than usual or release two in relatively quick succession, but knowing Linkin Park, OML will strike around the 38 minute mark, we won't get any B-sides or extras, and any leftover material will be shelved for use in future LPUs.

Obviously quality over quantity is extremely important, but I sometimes wish the band was more willing to put out slightly longer albums when they clearly have the material (I'm thinking of MTM specifically). :shrug:

Vic likes this.
  15. cloudscream

cloudscream Static

I read something from way back about LP's number of releases in their contract with Warner? Was it legit or was it just fan speculation?

16. Henry

Henry Mochiagete, Tokihanashite.

Only if some of the fans are not in such denial.

17. cloudscream

cloudscream Static

^LP can go further down to One Direction or Ariana Grande-level radio pop if they want with OML. I won't be surprised anymore.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  18. One More Rob

One More Rob Well-Known Member

Agreed. And tbh the albums that came immediately before (the Untitled one and See You on the other side) were quite poppy (at least compared to the rest) and in my opinion Dubstep (at least the way Skrillex does it) is the metal equivalent of electro.

Anyways BTT:

I was watching an interview with Chester recorded during the ATS promotion, where the interviewer asked Chester about what he thinks about the backlash and so on, to paraphrase he doesn't really care epscially since once they got big every album after got flak. He recalls an incident where a fan came up to him and asked him what happened when SIB came out as that was "not the LP he fell in love with" so yeah...and I said it a million times before I don't mind genre change and I already mentioned I like battle symphony but soemthign about this album cycle as a whole is really rubbing me the wrong way. I can't really put my finger on it though.

19. MattLP

MattLP No control No surprise

I agree with you, but I think LP is just trying to stay relevant as much as possible , and trying to bring in new fans especially these young kids that listen to whats ever on the pop radio today. I mean they make a heavy rock album 3 years and do a 180 turn. I mean how much more can they divide the fan base? They did it 4 times already lol When THP came out fans were still complaining, this fan base will always be divided and ppl in this fan base will always hate one another and say mean things and insult one another. I think its a mess imo, I dont see any other fan base divided more than the LP fan base.

20. BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

Yeah, I get why they want the official album to have only what they deem worthy, but I don't see why we can't get some later deluxe releases with bonus songs, just so we can have stuff like the MTM tracks, smaller things like the LITE live intro (which I always suspect was once a track in itself like Wake), etc. Of course I guess that's the appeal of an LPU membership, and we'll probably get those in 20 years when the label starts going crazy with remasters and bonus tracks lol.

Iopia likes this.