Linkin Park Premiere Lyrics To "Good Goodbye" On Genius

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

Looks like the song's not gonna leak. :think:
    I'm very disappointed in the Russian leak sites :halfkappa:

2. Meteorain

Meteorain Well-Known Member

I was honestly also thinking what you and @Blake have said here, and I was like "Finally..." when you two mentioned it.

Imagine inviting somebody into the studio, saying we'd like you to put out a verse on this track, then filtering and editing what he wants to say. It's not a great look, artist to artist. I'm not saying you can't do it at all, if, like you said, there was something overtly racist, sexist, etc (which I don't think Stormzy would want himself, anyway) but I'm sure Mike, Chester and the rest were hesitant to edit anything at all, unless they felt they had no choice. While the guest should respect that it's still another band's track and album, it might still come off as "Why'd you invite me then?" if you try to filter or edit his work.

I'm not the biggest fan of it being used, or saying "Linkin Park" in a song (or that "mandem tings" thing) and I absolutely see a difference in it being used on Enth E Nd on Reanimation or an I'll be Gone remix on Recharged, two remix, non-studio albums, as opposed to a studio release of One More Light... (same goes for what was said on non-studio, Jay-Zed collabo album Collision Course)... but it's ultimately not that big of a deal, and just like most things I've been iffy about the first time they happened, I really highly doubt this will be any killer or deal-breaker for me. I also do prefer that it's somebody else other than any of the six band members who's saying it.

Edit: Another ting to tink about... (sorry). Mike mentioned this is a sarcastic-toned, "not super-serious" song. That probably made him feel even less like it was necessary to ask Stormzy not to say "hoe" or if it crossed Mike's mind, probably made him more ok with saying "Eh, screw it, it's fine". Also, this "not super-serious", "unfitting to the rest of the album" decision to use Good Goodbye on the album at all may be to offset an otherwise serious, maybe even dark rest of the album -- especially the title track, One More Light, which we already know is set to contend for saddest song ever written.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  3. leftshoe18

leftshoe18 Well-Known Member

And Mike said it on Points of Authority/99 Problems/One Step Closer from Collision Course.

Deliveranze likes this.
  4. Vinifeijo

Vinifeijo i'm dancing with matt damons

And what if LP wrote the song to be a serious one, but after they received Stormzy and Pusha lyrics they decided to sell it as "sarcastic"?

Hybrid and Hans Muster like this.
  5. Meteorain

Meteorain Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's possible. But I'm not sure it would've changed Mike's verse much, which still doesn't sound too serious. Unless he altered his lyrics after receiving Stormzy and Pusha's. Also possible.

6. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

Maybe, maybe not. But it's still in that tongue in cheek battle rap style so it isn't that big of a deal in my mind.

Meteorain likes this.
  7. Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

"Everyone exaggerates a tiny little bit
    Make that shit sound more gangster than it really is
    You can't appear weak man, we wanna hear street
    We wanna hear you spit your thug over this here beat
    Don't take it as sarcastic, I can't get enough
    I'm telling you, you can call my bluff if it's not rough..."

8. Deliveranze

WOW! Linkin Park! Finally a rock band that doesn't worship Satan, slit their wrists and cash in on suburban angry kids to be edgy!:halfkappa:

9. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Yes. That verse is actually a great example of how much difference context can make, and why blanket-dismissing a word in every instance without ever considering its context is stupid. :sleep:

10. Deliveranze

And Mike said bitch and bitches on The Rising Tied too.

11. Hybrid

I was unaware that people didn't like the inclusion of the word "bitch" in "Good Goodbye." :shinado:

Deliveranze likes this.
  12. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

And a LOT of Motherfuckers in our Bae When They Come For Me :fedora:

Deliveranze likes this.
  13. ciao_fiv

ciao_fiv We Are Still Humanz

We don't care about the words, we just love the way they sound

(Me @ all the new lyrics tbh)

Crankshaft and Hybrid like this.
  14. Deliveranze

So if it comes this week, will it be a lyric video first, or is the music video just gonna drop instead?

15. Hybrid

I'm willing to bet that it will be a lyric video.

Deliveranze likes this.
  16. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

I love how so many people see the word "hoe" and think "Oh this is atrocious!!! Linkin Park just lost some decency. They are really on a decline! Sad!" First of all, a linkin park member doesn't even say it, Stormzy does, and it was most definitely him who wrote the line. Second, y'all are taking it out of context. Stormzy isn't saying "I have all these hoes lining up to have a chance with me" or some overly offensive shit, degrading women (which is a very typical thing in hip hop). He says that he saying goodbye to his "old hoes." That could easily mean he's leaving behind poor relationships he's had in the past.
    But nope, just get immediately triggered why don't ya. Flipping out for no reason.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    minuteforce and ciao_fiv like this.
  17. Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

There's no way this song isn't coming on Friday

18. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I want to say sorry for the grammar errors and spelling errors in my 'wall of text' post.

I don't condone this but I wrote that while in class and I didn't re-read what I wrote.

Due to the likes recieved, I'm going to assume you guys got the point anyway.

And to whoever posted, "Well, why did you invite me anyway if you were just going to edit what I say anyway?" Never thought of it like this. This is 100% accurate.

Meteorain likes this.
  19. Vic

Vic No game no life

I really don't even care about that word, english is not my main language so I'm not sure what it means, although I have some knowledge on what it could mean and to be honest it's really not a big deal, in my language it may be something like "vieja" (like saying your "girlfriend" in a vulgar way in Mexico), thing that is pretty common there and even women say.

20. Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

I read all the lyrics and read through this whole thread. Once again, I have very mixed feelings/thoughts about an OML song, and what we know of "Good Goodbye". Some lines looked great to me, while others looked so out of place or nonsensical. Seriously, what the hell is Stormzy trying to say in the second half of his verse? And Pusha T's verse mostly made sense, though I wasn't crazy about the self reference.

Honestly, I would have preferred that Mike handle more of the verses, simply because what he says is usually coherent or sensible, even if it's simplistic. I still think he has it in him to deliver some truly great thought-provoking verses. This "sarcastic" song does not appear to be all that thought-provoking with its lyrics, which personally disappoints me most of all.

Edit: I had to look up the meaning of "mandem". More slang that I never knew existed, until this very song. Do I ever feel out of the loop with pop culture.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017