Linkin Park - Good Goodbye ft. Stormzy and Pusha T Out Now

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Apr 13, 2017.

1. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

Meh.

0/3 OML so far for me.

frezer86 and number9large like this.
  2. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Like Battle Symphony, it's not bad. It's just extremely boring.

3. Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

So...I've come to the conclusion that the reason Linkin Park is so reluctant to divulge information about the sound of their new material while it's still being worked on is because, for whatever reason, they just aren't good at accurately describing their own music.

This song was described in several interviews as being sarcastic, even silly. The inspiration behind it is a very light-hearted thing (players on the visiting team fouling out of Lakers games and being made fun of by the audience). You tell me that's what a song is like, plus that it's primarily a hip-hop track, I'm expecting some Like Riding a Bike-style shit. Uptempo, fun, irreverent-sounding stuff. Why the hell, then, is the instrumental behind Good Goodbye so plodding and melodramatic it sounds like it might as well be on the soundtrack to an 8 Mile sequel?! I mean...not that that style of instrumental is necessarily a bad thing, it's actually more in line with what I would expect from a hip-hop song on a Linkin Park record. But it just doesn't match the subject matter at ALL. It fits Chester's hook just fine...but the lyrical content of the verses is completely out of place on a track that sounds like this.

Stormzy's verse is just as cringeworthy as I expected. Mike sounds like he's trying way too hard to cop the flow of other mainstream rappers (throw some excessive Auto Tune on that verse and it'd fit perfectly in some garbage trap song...yikes). Pusha T is good, but he's done better. The chipmunk voice thing is...not really something I'd expect LP to incorporate in a song, but I can't really say I like OR dislike it. It's kind of distracting though. Chester sounds solid. Production is top-notch, as has been the case with the other two songs released so far.

I'm starting to expect that this may end up being Linkin Park's best SOUNDING album...and their worst album from a songwriting standpoint. The 3 songs they've released so far average out to about a 5 out of 10 in my opinion.

4. AkirraKrylon

AkirraKrylon LPA VIP LPA VIP

My thoughts exactly so far.

5. hybrid1988

hybrid1988 Fever Daydream

When I realized that LP were gonna do a pop album, my only hope was that they made some catchy ear candy. I think they accomplished that with this song.

That being said, even though I dig it on a very basic surface level, I know that in a year I probably won't be listening to this. The problem with these songs is that they explode on the scene and then just fizzle out and people move on because there's nothing substantial to keep you coming back.

I think it's becoming pretty evident that LP has peaked with ATS. unless they pull out some magic next album, I'll probably just be a causal LP fan in the future.

6. Vic

Vic No game no life

It's a fun and catchy track, but that's it. Not impressed with any of the songs so far (except the snippet of OML). This is the first time I'm not super excited for a LP album and it makes me a little sad, I love the band, but they can do so much better. Well at least the new Mastodon album is amazing and it will help me waiting until May 19th.

7. MattLP

MattLP No control No surprise

Its pretty cool, way better than heavy and BS, mike's verse is dope, he killed it. It does get boring after a few listens. it doesnt leave a big punch like GATS
    This album is gonna be a Flop imo, these songs are forgettable and will fade away quickly.

8. UNiPersona

UNiPersona previously known as STARKINATOR

I would be really really disappointed if Mike / the band doesn't get to produce for other artists more. That's what I get out of this track..

9. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

[​IMG]

10. Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

So after listening to this track, it sounds so much like a Fort Minor track. I'd actually prefer an album that sounds more like this than "Heavy," but we'll see what comes next. I haven't completely written off One More Light. I doubt this will be my favorite album by them, but if I learned anything from this band, if I don't like what they are currently doing, there's always hope for the next go around.

Rhel, Halfway Dwight and Michele like this.
  11. Austin Vicenty

Austin Vicenty No Longer Active

Stomzy's verse comes in much darker sounding than the rest of the track which I really love. Besides mike, his verse really impressed me a lot. His delivery is really good and I get this "final" moment of tension (if that makes any sense) before Chester finishes the song off.

12. crazygolfer

crazygolfer Well-Known Member

Well, his name is "Storm"zy after all.

Austin Vicenty likes this.
  13. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Not as bad as expected. Not good, but not as jarringly offputting like Heavy was.

Reminds me of their Handsome Boy Modeling School contribution.

14. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I'm looking forward to hearing the instrumental of this. I think it's the best instrumental of the 3 we've heard so far. A lot of things going on.

Meteorain, Bane and Sasuke like this.
  15. ciao_fiv

ciao_fiv We Are Still Humanz

Funny that you say that. I didn't show my friends any LP until these new songs. They love em

Halfway Dwight, Iopia and Abel like this.
  16. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

I'll give it this, musically there's much more going on here than BS or Heavy. I think this has a better chance of any real radio success out of the 3 released so far.

17. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

My friend told me after hearing Good Goodbye that she has a good feeling she's going to love this album.

After having played this track 4 times? I think I'm going to as well. Heavy, BS and this all have grown on me.

ciao_fiv and Halfway Dwight like this.
  18. Fathom

Fathom Well-Known Member

On first listen I liked it less than Battle Symphony. After about maybe 10 listens it is easily my favorite track of the 3 so far. Took me a few listens to get with the flow of Stormzy as I had never heard him before. I do wonder how Mike's 2nd verse would have been if Stormzy wasn't there though. Mike's delivery is superb, might be his best. I like the different beats throughout the track. I have never been big on what the actual lyrics are. After all the outcry from the other thread it make me think this would be absolute trash. While I know the word "hoes" is in the song I honestly haven't heard it yet. To me how the words are delivered and how they ultimately sound is way more important then the actual word itself. Was not a fan of the chipmunk sound at first but now I love it. It is funny how songs can grow and change on you after a few listens.

19. crazygolfer

crazygolfer Well-Known Member

Heavy is currently #15 on the Pop airplay chart. It's their biggest hit there in 9 years, so that's nothing to scoff at. Also, it's their best performing song on iTunes since Burn it Down. I think Heavy is doing pretty good for a nearly 2 decade old band trying to hang with the cool kids, but that's just my opinion.

Alexrednex likes this.
  20. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

People will call me deaf or wonder wtf I'm talking about when I say this but the song gives me a 90s feel.

lpfaneki likes this.