Linkin Park - Good Goodbye ft. Stormzy and Pusha T Out Now

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Apr 13, 2017.

1. zayl

zayl Friendly neighbor revenge seeking vigilante

By looking at comment section on youtube I think that Mike will have like a lot of inspiration to write some angry fan-pounding lyrics fot the next record.

2. Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

For this song they are actually doing a conventional video. I think it's not so much that bands generally don't put out many videos anymore. It's just an additional effort that many bands don't like to do because they're not actors, they wanna play shows rather than pretending to play in front of a camera. So there might be a tendency that bands reduce the numbers of videos per album throughout their carreer.

3. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Also, money. Stuff is costly. Labels used to be more generous about it but things have changed.

4. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

"I hope Linkin Park quit making music"? Wow that's some low shit, all because you don't like the direction they're going in. Not only is that selfish, but they really proves how far you'd be willing to go to support this band to make the music they want to (which isn't that far, apparently). And that's pretty sad coming from someone who has apparently liked all their music until now.

5. Mitch

Mitch YTB

What I am finding super hilarious is that comments in sites like Ultimate Guitar are ripping the new stuff to shreds, as you'd think they would - saying things such as they haven't released a good album since Meteora etc etc.
    But these were the same people back in the day (early 2000's) that would constently show their disdain for Linkin Park and say how utterly manufactured and garbage their music was.

Some things never change .

IronDust71 likes this.
  6. Rippin on That

Rippin on That Stared at the sun once

Definitely the best song from OML so far. Would have preferred a bit more rap verses in it though.

Bane likes this.
  7. minuteforce

Sites like Noisey are like that too, all love for "Hybrid Theory" now that LP doesn't do that kind of thing anymore

For sure, 3 is just not enough. Next time they do a track like this, it should just be 40 minute of back-to-back rap verses

TobinKnowsBest likes this.
  8. Non-Pattern

Non-Pattern You’re about as sharp as a bowling ball

Just to sidetrack a bit, the black triangle with hands coming out in the lyric video vaguely reminded me of the album cover for Dead By Sunrise, and the photoshoot. =P

9. Star Scream

Star Scream Does A Machine Like You Ever Experience Fear

yesssss definitely best song so far in the album!

10. @LP2K12

@LP2K12 Est. 2K12

Agreed. It's also always funny to me that I can tell when people aren't going to like an album cycle. From the first descriptions of this album I was telling my wife, "Here we go again! If they want another Hybrid Theory they're gonna hate this." Mostly, that's what we're seeing in comments and posts.

I enjoy the new and old music. I take it for what it is and roll with it. Are there songs I don't prefer? Sure, but I still love the band and what they do.

11. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

Yep! It's the only Mike verse on the album.

Austin Vicenty and minuteforce like this.
  12. Bane

Bane Together we'll fight the long defeat

As someone who isn't a big fan of rap, I got curious and checked out Stormzy. Well, consider me impressed. The guy spits straight fire.

That being said, I wish that he had done so on this track. He really held back.

I'm really enjoying Good Goodbye. I liked Heavy, I was "meh" about BS, but this track is really nice.

13. Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

Are you actually saying that there's no prejudice against the newer music because of what people expect from the band? Tell that to the hundreds of comments on YouTube etc. screaming that "this isn't real Linkin Park". And comparing the OML singles to WFTE and BID is conveniently ignoring that those both had rapping, had fairly prominent guitars (WFTE even has a guitar solo for crying out loud), and were both very much tangentially related to "rap-rock" (even if they don't fit in as snugly as the songs on Hybrid Theory).

I'm not going to argue about quality (because it'd be a pointless and meaningless conversation), but part of the backlash is absolutely because it's not rock. If this album was released by a pop act, the music would be just as good (or bad), but you can sure as hell bet that the fan base would receive it much better, because by definition, the fan base would consist mostly of people who like pop, and not metalheads who think it's still 1999. The only previous time LP have released a lead single that has no relation to rap-rock was The Catalyst, which like the new songs was absolutely lambasted for being "techno crap". So yes, the wider fan base definitely has a bias due to the songs' genre. And Heavy's commercial success despite being hated by so much of the fan base is a testament to that.

Yeah, I was hoping for some personal, 'story-telling' raps on the album, but it looks like we'll have to wait a bit longer for that. :lol:

14. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Finally listened to this on my stereo on blast. This instrumental is great. Great, fun song. Optimism raised a notch.

15. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

Agree. I think Mike has worn the battle rap style out by now. :p On the bright side, the new shouty triplet cadence was interesting so at least he wrapped it in a new package for him.

16. Malvar

Malvar Well-Known Member

Also when they play Lost in the echo live that similar triangle appears.

17. Brawler

Brawler Well-Known Member

Comment section on youtube is so annoying

Deliveranze likes this.
  18. minuteforce

▲▲▲

Sasuke and Malvar like this.
  19. Non-Pattern

Non-Pattern You’re about as sharp as a bowling ball

Almost forgotten about that haha

20. Malvar