Linkin Park Interview in Upset Magazine

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Apr 14, 2017.

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

Linkin Park are the front cover of the latest issue of Upset Magazine and it features an extensive interview with Mike Shinoda and Chester Bennington regarding the band's new album 'One More Light' that is out May 19th. Upset describe the opening of 'Nobody Can Save Me' as a "glitch" before Linkin Park go in to detail about the sound of the album, the thought process behind it as well as some background information about Sharp Edges, the final song on the album. Check it out below:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Click on the images to expand them to read or
    Read the full issue
    Read shortened online version
    The interview is full of cool little details but here is some information about what Sharp Edges is about.

[​IMG]
    Source: Upset Magazine

Benjamin, Abel, Ree and 3 others like this.
    dutchsoldier

dutchsoldier Well-Known Member

Nice interview!

Good to see all these wise words spoken about life. It's one part of many that make me like the band so much.

Chester getting so personal also makes me want to scream 'Keep on going' and I really hope he does so forever.

One more month guys :p

Abel and Sasuke like this.
    Emiltayeb

Emiltayeb Well-Known Member

can't wait to sharp edges.

I even recall Chester said it was his favorite song from the album. can't remember where though.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

"The lyrics to these songs are complex and conflicted"

[​IMG]

Louis, Filip, IronDust71 and 6 others like this.
    Hasnain

Hasnain Member

Really nice interview! I think they cleared it up that they didnt spend much time on writing lyrics but on making whole songs fit together. And Nobody Can Save Me has a glitchy opening? Thats interesting

Petar likes this.
    Noosh

Noosh Well-Known Member

Sharp Edges sounds cool but I'll reserve judgement because last time I got hyped for a Linkin Park song based off what people said about it, it was Line In The Sand which was the most disappointing closer from an LP album for me.

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

Any talk about the lyrics is pure shit talk. It's not a risky creative record judging from the 3 songs. It's safe and cookie cutter. Hope I'm wrong.

Alexrednex, frezer86 and Agent like this.
    TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

Maybe they experiment in the process, but they always end up putting everything in the same mold. That's why almost all of their songs follow the same structure.

Joshua and Iopia like this.
    Flozuki

Flozuki LPA VIP LPA VIP

First Mike should give up Rap, then the mention of the artists name ruins every song followed by I like the Stormzy verse the most and now this. Going by your track record I guess it is safe to say you are wrong ;)

Halfway Dwight likes this.
    Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

[​IMG]

brady, Abel and Sasuke like this.
    brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

[​IMG]

Hey look, I can post gifs too.

Non-Pattern

Non-Pattern You’re about as sharp as a bowling ball

Lol seems like there's already a 'war' going on. Just agree to disagree guys. Didn't we also agreed to know better than to trust on the band's words in interviews on previous threads?

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I find it funny because while people are crying 'bull' with the lyric comments, with this interview I'm finally starting to 'get' and understand this album. They're basically tackling depression/sadness and trying to make a positive sounding record out of it. This is Linkin Park's "optimistic" album, and I can see that now. Heavy was about wanting to let go of your demons. Battle Symphony was about picking yourself back up after falling down, and Good Goodbye is about saying goodbye to your old hoes.

It all makes sense.

Non-Pattern

Non-Pattern You’re about as sharp as a bowling ball

I can agree with the general optimism in the new songs(even though not all of it in the album are, OML is going to be the next 'Iridescent' in this album). I think people generally are critising the fashion in which it's written, which I can understand it as well.

While I remembered you did say about a thing about trusting too much into the band's words(or rather just Chester and Mike), I'm glad you find it sensible though. I'll still wait and see what happens once the album is out,

Bane

Bane Together we'll fight the long defeat

Thanks for making me choke on my coffee, Derek :rofl:

beachdude42, Sa6o_dfg, Abel and 2 others like this.
    Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I think it's because as Astat said in another thread, the band is just really terrible in describing their music. They make good music, but the way they describe it often times doesn't match the actual end result.

Good Goodbye is a good song, and I say this after multiple listens. Heck if I had any knock against it, it would just be that it's nothing terribly new for the band. It literally feels like Lost In The Echo Part 2 with the synths used etc.

eunyoungg

eunyoungg Well-Known Member

You know, the fact that they said they focused on the lyrics more than they focused on the melodies can simply mean that they started writing before playing. But that doens't mean the lyrics got better or more complex, they just did the thing differently than the other albums.

I know it sounds obvious, but judging our reaction we ended up thinking that doing the write process first would make the lyrics better, so yeah, I think it's clear now that it doesn't really mean complex and deep lyrics. Just that they thought things in reverse.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

[​IMG]

frezer86

frezer86 Active Member

What a great magazine title, how well it fits their songs from new album cycle

Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

Crawling is HEAVY?

[​IMG]
    :rofl:

brady likes this.