Linkin Park Interview in Upset Magazine

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Avo

Avo Don't Stop Running

The fuck are you smoking?

2. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

I guess LP will be remembered. But not at the side of the bands you mentioned, lol.

A could think that they could pull of some GnR kind of album, would fit with their age somehow.

3. zayl

zayl Friendly neighbor revenge seeking vigilante

There will be an era remembered I suppose, the times of 2000s when Korn, SOAD and LP came up with their greatests hits and brought heavier music to mainstream. I don't think that the recent LP or KoRn albums will be considered as part of this era (despite the fact that THP and Korn's SoS are really great albums).

MAYBE the fact that while thinking of Leds, Queen, PF, GnR you can come up with some styles of these band and LP is doing everything not to have a style labeled to them may be a reason.

4. Wizardofozil

Wizardofozil Well-Known Member

Linkin park is a legendary band

5. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I see ...

6. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

They had the aspiration to become one of greats with ATS, but somehow lost it with LT and everything after that...

7. Meteorain

Meteorain Well-Known Member

Aspirations of the band can only be known to members of the band.

Modern Guitar God likes this.
  8. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

Well, you got me there. But let me rephrase it: "it sounded like they were trying to go on that route with ATS."

Meteorain likes this.
  9. Meteorain

Meteorain Well-Known Member

Fair enough, but personally I hope they don't aim to go down those roads.

I expect to be pelted with shoes and banana peels for saying this, but I find a lot of those mentioned bands overrated.

More importantly, I want Linkin Park to carve out their own path. Not be readily compared to really any one band.

In my mind, because of what they've been for me, they're already legends. Sure, it would be nice if many others saw them the same way, but it wouldn't change how I felt about them. I've also never subscribed to the thought that popularity is a real measure of how good a band is/ was.

Nickelback is super popular in some parts of the world, but aside from a few songs, I don't like them very much.

Not music related but soccer is viewed as the most popular sport worldwide, but I would rank it pretty low among my favourites.

10. Doridorica

Doridorica Well-Known Member

I had a similar discussion with my friends the other day, not about LP because none of them listen to them but about legendary bands like above mentioned. Although I have a respect for Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd I was wondering how popular and legendary they'd be if they appeared in the last two decades. They became legendary because they were the firsts to start doing something new when music wasn't so diverse like today. It's been very difficult to create something new for the past two decades or so because there are so many musical genres and music is very accessible.
    In that view I have a huge respect for LP for starting creating music in one genre and then pushing themselves, more or less successfully, to explore new genres. Only time will tell if they'll be remembered.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Sasuke, Meteorain and Iopia like this.
  11. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

LAFF.

12. SuperSaiyan4Kev

SuperSaiyan4Kev Well-Known Member

I hope I get the polaroid in Mike's mouth sent in my LP package on May 19th

13. Virgocore

Virgocore Well-Known Member

Sadly, when the day does come and Linkin Park breaks up, I think the world will mostly remember the band for Hybrid Theory. I think that's what they will ultimately leave behind, despite the band trying to stray away from it for so many years. I'm not saying Hybrid Theory is the only good album the band has put out, Minutes To Midnight is actually my favorite Linkin Park record, but I think the world as a whole will remember them for that. Hybrid Theory is the most successful album of the 2000's and it's gone diamond several times.

Iopia likes this.
  14. Doridorica

I don't think that's just LP, many bands have one successful album, one that most people remember and no matter how good next ones are they'll always be remembered by that one. I'm not saying they're one hit band but many of them release one very successful album.

15. Virgocore

Yeah. I mean Linkin Park has had tons of successful releases, most doing much better than a lot of modern bands do, but none of them have matched the sheer power of how well Hybrid Theory did. Like I said, I don't even consider Hybrid Theory their best work, but it was just huge, and we already saw some of that type of stuff with all the Hybrid Theory anniversary merch and what not they did a few years back.

16. mastae

mastae Some Honky

Yes, LP will be remembered mostly for HT. Just like Depeche Mode is mostly known for Violator.

But LP, like Depeche, have also made a lot of VERY successful music beyond their quintessential album.

blackout. and Modern Guitar God like this.
  17. Doridorica

I agree and it seems MTM and ATS were also very successful giving some very successful lead singles. I didn't follow the band back then but reading fan comments made me realize that ATS is liked by many people.

18. Virgocore

Meteora, Minutes To Midnight and A Thousand Suns were all very successful, and many people know about those albums, even people who wouldn't consider themselves ''fans'' of the band, I think. Mike Shinoda said a few weeks ago that some of the people who are mad that Linkin Park went pop aren't even aware that Linkin Park released The Hunting Party, and judging from my own experiences, a lot of people that I've met in bars or around my city don't even know about the album either, or Living Things. I literally heard two guys talking once and someone said ''Linkin Park, wow, whatever happened to those guys?'' and the other guy said ''I don't know, they made a Transformers song and put out some techno album and I think they broke up after that''. I assumed he meant New Divide and that A Thousand Suns was the ''techno'' album, even though that's a strange description of it.

19. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

"Burn It Down" was huge for a lead single. It was almost everywhere in the radio, and they played it for tons of award shows and TV appearances.

20. Doridorica

If MTM and ATS were so successful, what happened with THP? A lack of marketing? I wasn't following the band back then so it's a mystery to me. OML is all over their fb page, twitter and radio stations (although not here in my country).