Linkin Park - One More Light | Release Day Thread

Discussion in 'News' started by Ree, May 18, 2017.

1. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

Totally agree with you. It's just hard to get that through since KTT is full of indie rock elitists and the more "abrasive," the more artistic you are. :lol:

Maybe he meant that all LP albums have songs that sound "too LP" even when they experiment like WID, BID, UIG, idk.

2. Wizardofozil

Wizardofozil Well-Known Member

Fuck this guy xD

3. Non-Pattern

Non-Pattern You’re about as sharp as a bowling ball

Why would you guys care so much about what others are saying lol? Especially for the negative reviews. If you are confident and happy with your own opinion, nobody else's opinions matters really. Also, everybody has their own bias/'elitism' in the music they listen to, whether 'indie', 'mainstream' or none of the above.

Sasuke and Halfway Dwight like this.
  4. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

This video and its comments are pure cancer. Its fine if you don't like it, but to say things like Phoenix isn't even on the album when practically all of Talking to Myself is nothing but his bass line, is laughable.

Sasuke likes this.
  5. Doridorica

Doridorica Well-Known Member

With all these really negative reviews (even from magazines that have never given LP such a bad mark) I'd say it's popular to hate LP now, one opinion pulls the other (it's like that girl in LP reacts...show who said it was popular to hate the band and she felt like she needed to do it). It's impossible that the album is that bad and the worst in 2017 (I read that review here somewhere).

6. Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

So far, I've listened to all of OML front to back only twice, and honestly, that was enough for it to begin to sink in. I still stand by what I said in my initial post, that I find this album underwhelming and disappointing. No, I'm not going to say it sucks, because there are elements in most songs that I find interesting, whether they are the background effects, the way certain instruments are layered, or even the vocals. The main problem with me is that what I managed to find enjoyable was not consistent enough, as not every song was memorable enough to stand out on its own.

I know I may have a minority opinion/view around here, but all the commonly listed fan favorites, such as Sorry For Now, Invisible, and Nobody Can Save Me, do very little for me, and do not hold my interest. However, one popular opinion on the LPA that I can get behind is how touching and powerful One More Light (the song) can really be when one is in a certain mindset, or if they have experienced a painful loss in their lives. The only other (new) song that is an immediate standout for me is Talking To Myself, as this song mostly encompasses what I enjoy most about Linkin Park's music, even if it is a little poppier than many of their previous songs. The more audible guitar riffing really catches my ear, and what can I say, the song is truly groovy. I should also mention that Good Goodbye was the only single to significantly grow on me, as I do enjoy that song quite a bit, especially now that I understand its "sarcastic" approach.

As for the much anticipated lyrics, they were not nearly as impressive or "deep" as I initially expected. After all, LP constantly hyped how "honest" and "personal" the lyrics would be throughout this album cycle. Now that I've heard the songs, I can't really say whether I understand what LP was trying to accomplish with these lyrics, as they are just all over the place, at least for me. I suppose that the more introspective moments from Chester were well-written, though I have to listen to the songs a bit more before I can solidify my overall opinion on the lyrics.

At this point, I'm not sure I will post a track-by-track review, as many others have already done that. The above impressions are pretty much near-final ones, unless OML somehow captures my interest in an unexpected way. As for now, it's currently my least favorite studio release, especially when it comes to the overall instrumentation, and sometimes boring production. Lastly, I will not give OML a numerical score, as I'm not certain I can actually give it a score that would accurately reflect how I feel about it at the moment.

Michele likes this.
  7. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

You don't love how he keeps referring to the drummer as "Rob Birden"?

I've noticed fans, both here and elsewhere, are very, very defensive on this particular album than on any one before.

8. Non-Pattern

Non-Pattern You’re about as sharp as a bowling ball

True, but for what's its worth? People from both sides aren't going to change their opinion, and you are fortunate if you are able to stumble upon fans who can debate or compromise opinions civilly. The band doesn't need fans to defend their album honestly, they are able to handle it or don't really care about the negativity. Particularly Mike and Chester, they have proved(although not in the best way - you know which comment I'm talking about) they can handle it themselves.

9. BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

I wasn't very impressed with lyrics until we got Invisible, and then when I heard the rest of the tracks I appreciated their lyrical hype a lot, when I thought about how these lyrics are impressive (or at least different) coming from them. Before we got music I was imaging crazy metaphors and poetry, but that's not what the lyrics thing is about I feel. This is the first album where most every song, to an extent, is saying things very frankly and in a straightforward manner. Phrases like "I was not mad at you, I was not trying to tear you down..." etc. are super simple, but effective. We rarely get anything that tries hard to sound super epic and mature like "the shadow of the day will embrace the world in grey and the sun will set for you" on this album, and nothing even close to the stuff like "I use the deadwood to make the fire rise, the blood of innocence burning in the skies". I love that stuff sometimes, as they obviously do, but I do feel numb to it sometimes, compared to an honest, simple song that's just saying what it means. I still don't know what half of the lyrics in Castle of Glass are supposed to mean, Chester's part in UIB feels utterly random, the chorus of KTTK is just words talking about hating yourself, etc. This album has tons of lyrics that are more obvious about what they're talking about than ever before, while still sounding poetic. In SFN it's so obvious he's talking about being on a plane in the beginning, talking about leaving someone at home. Halfway right's verses say so much and really paint the sentiment of the song. OML's kitchen chair line is as clear as can be, and Sharp Edges is literally country-song level lyrics (though I still think it hardly sounds Country, but does have country influence for sure). The exceptions lyrically to me are Good Goodbye (for the raps obviously), Battly Symphony kind of sounds like old-LP lyrics where it's vaguely describing one feeling, and Heavy is a little bit vague, but still fits the bill imo.

Halfway Dwight and Henry like this.
  10. Sonic

Nah that doesn't bother me. I don't even care if someone doesn't like it, just don't state facts that aren't untrue. I respect someone more who can form an educated opinion of why the font like something instead of saying "This is pop shit.".

brady and Sasuke like this.
  11. frezer86

frezer86 Active Member

Those comments and video itself aren't any more cancer than comments from the other side praising everything that Linkin Park does, like literally EVERYTHING. Even legendary, most talented bands got weak songs and flaw moments in their career, but there are some people out there who are close to run church called Linkin Park and cherish every song from them.

Chris loves LP likes this.
  12. Sonic

No one is denying that.

13. Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

Well, I like OML a lot than THP and LT. I know, there's no screaming on the record but it is fresh for me after that THP's worst vocal deliveries by Chester. Hearing OML in full is a breathe of fresh air. It may not be complex as ATS sonically but for sure it's gonna be a template for the band to improve in the next album cycle (especially this new approach they're talking about) but I want Mike Shinoda to fulfill his goal to do a second FM record.. I'm anticipating this rather than waiting for LP8.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  14. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

It's funny because one of the biggest criticisms of the record, could end up being it's biggest compliment: the claim that the band is now unrecognizable.

Hasn't that been the goal of the band since MTM? To drift away from a single recognizable sound and be completely unpredictable from record to record?

brady, Knt.Slbs, Mitch and 1 other person like this.
  15. Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

Agreed on this one.. I don't understand with all the hate about OML. I'll bet we'll be getting an EP by the end of this year with tracks with screaming vocals or any leftovers from OML sessions.

16. Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

I think this is a stellar album. The personal lyrics, the mature themes and the fact that there is a lot going on musically if you actually listen properly. For people to call a record which for the most part has a lot of heart and soul and is very personal a sellout is ridiculous, yes it has elements of pop production but the songs still have real meaning and feeling to them, along with a touch of positivity which hasn't always been present on LP songs.

The guys are clearly proud of it, and despite the haters making a lot of noise (as they usually do) the band is also getting a LOT of love for OML as well. Which they deserve.

17. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

If you've been reading the reviews I've posted in the complied review thread, this is one of the weird takeaways on why they negatively review the album, which I find funny. :lol: I'm also lukewarm about OML, but man it's clear the reviewers haven't followed the band enough to know there's a lot to digest from the band's personal lives that they put in OML.

18. Blackee Dammet

19. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

The founder of Consequence of Sound actually likes the band, and gave ATS a glowing review. As they slowly became bigger in reach, a lot of their writers were very abrasive and/or dismissive towards LP, and a lot of their coverage about the band reflected that. When they switched their review system from stars to letters, they retained the ATS review but labeled it as a "C+", which was really unfair and unusual.

Trust me, this is more generous than other reviews I've seen. This one actually acknowledges Mike singing and that they sound happy and that the album is talking about their personal lives.

20. Blackee Dammet

My interpretation was more of a backhanded "Well at least they're enjoying it, because nobody else is..." kind of attitude.