Linkin Park - "True to the Artist" Video Clip

Discussion in 'News' started by Louis, May 23, 2017.

1. Hybridora

Hybridora Well-Known Member

Prelude: I read up to about page 4 of 7

As short and concise as can be;
    Jayhov
    Props; you craved discussion, that was one of your 1st-post pleas, you achieved that, discussion has been facilitated and had. You admitted to unintended statements (Derek issue), admitted to ideas/concepts you had not even thought of, and defended points. I think page 7 deep worth of conversation is quite a feat IMO. I also believe it is time to move it (and mods should include all related posts) to a new thread.

Time for The Video Review:
    I initially watched the video and didn't know how to take it, other than I came away from it with an uneasy feeling. Re-watched it and it as blatantly obvious what was being said in the video.

"The Messenger" (True to The Artist) Now Comes with This to Say:

"The band can't live forever, we are at a turning point in our career"

Fans not into it = Signal to the band that new music is...w/e....but "we" want Live Shows & Social Media Interaction Instead

Their Theory and/or Thought Process:
    The Hunting Party was a test to see how "popular" with the fans a niche album could be. (already said but for all intents and purposes, niche = small and/or selective)
    From here, they drew their "low marker" i.e. they knew, for a niche album, this is their niche fan-base number. "Does the interest in that record, follow the kind of record it was, or was it a reflection of...a natural "unfolding" in an artists career"

Consider this their Y

One More Light is their chance to do the opposite, and strategically attempt to make a "universal record" because.... "Not every artist has to fade out into obscurity, there are chances to have new moments and come back. Some of it has to do with, making a sound on a record that feels... updated; but it also has to feel really true to the artist, like that is that artist, that is their deal."

Consider this their X

When applied they are attempting to see how far X can spread in relation to positive Y volume.

I suck at math, and someone that can put this into an excel figure or something to paint what the band (and my interpretation) is of this video is saying would be appreciated!

The band is quite possibly considering just taking all the material they have accumulated over the many years, and just doing really, really good, focused, live shows; as opposed to attempting to create new material.

OR

If they feel like they can reach out to the masses with a positive response, that to them means that they can still be relevant in the music of today, and they are not wasting their time in the studio trying to be super creative in the "Linkin Park" way.

This band is potentially leaving their entire future direction/existence up to the fans......us.....

They just want to entertain....and be creative.....and want people to enjoy the outcome as much as possible.....what human does not want that? If the Fans decide they aren't for it......they (the band) can easily just play everything they have created thus far live..........

That to me, is what this video says. Jayhov, Derek, New Member, Well-Known Member....Whoever.....they are screaming for our input....in terms of the bigger picture of what the band can and should do for us in the future.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  2. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

The video is a lot simpler than that. What mike is saying is basically that they enjoy making niche albums, and they also enjoy taking creative risks and doing things that are unexpected. But they also want their music to reach as many people as possible, and want to continue gaining new fans instead of fading into obscurity. Mike is realizing in that video that all bands eventually break up (sad but true) and he's having the same discussion that many bands have, which is whether or not they should keep trying to get new fans (and go more accessible) or if they should just forget all that and forgo commercial appeal.

Whether people like it or not, this is the band's job. And the band does need to sell albums, sell merch and pack stadiums. In order to do that the band does need to make music that people will buy and listen to. Going totally crazy and niche and not worrying about whether or not people will like it, may seem artistically noble, but it's a one way ticket to obscurity if it fails to attract fans (new and old alike).

So all that conversation was about is Mike trying to figure out where the band goes in the future. It's not some ominous sign the band is gonna break up, it's not mike talking about "selling out", it's simply Mike doing something any artist does. Especially this late in his career.

Abel, Sasuke, Ben and 5 others like this.
  3. Hybridora

Hybridora Well-Known Member

I prefer the simpler, less dark take on it! Hopefully it truly is that simple, but I still get a darker feeling of the implications of this album in regards to how future albums will go. And yes, they absolutely have to make money, WB can't just let them do what ever and not hit some sort of projection. This is why the band needs help from third parties (such as Mercedes) in order to allow them some breathing room in terms of doing whatever they want.

4. Brawler

Brawler Well-Known Member

I do not understand what he says after "the last record was..."?

5. Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

One More Light is like Coldplay's Ghost Stories. Don't worry, maybe next year we'll get A Head Full Dreams version of LINKIN PARK. Pop but experimental.

6. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Shinoda says that "The Hunting Party" was aimed at a niche audience.
    @Filip, weigh in on this :p

7. Derek

He was saying it was a niche record. Meaning that it was catered to a very specific type of listener, namely those who are into aggressive and/or rock. It wasn't made to appeal to a broader group of listeners.

Brawler likes this.
  8. Brawler

And then he says that OML is made to appeal a greater numbers of listeners?

9. Derek

Pretty much, but the argument could be made that any Linkin Park album that wasn't 'niche' was made with that purpose.

10. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Can't be, Ghost Stories was actually good :kappa:

11. Brawler

At least we know why OML and LT were made to.

12. Doridorica

Doridorica Well-Known Member

This video isn't very promissing about their future and after watching it two more times it's still vague what Mike wantsnto say. They made THP which wasn't played on the radio so much so it wasn't very successful although their tour was. Then they turned into another direction to get more audience because they have to earn money (I'm not saying they did it just because of that but it's what is expected of them) and fans are going crazy. I don't know where to go next because their previous album had harder sound but poorly written lyrics, this one has good lyrics but the sound isn't what fans like. Of course they don't do something just to please their fans but the point of every album by every artist is to be successful.

13. Spencer23

Spencer23 Member

I was clearly right in my assessment, as I received the most condescending response (due to my opinion of the album) in this very thread and it was greeted with a positive response lmao.

Just because someone put personal emotion into doesn't mean the critique of the music isn't warranted. There's plenty of emotionally driven albums that aren't as bland as this album.

14. Spencer23

Spencer23 Member

Exactly, in fact, he was "thanked" for the post, which was 50% attacking anyone who dislikes the album while simultaneously proving my point.

15. Derek

You've all made your point, but Louis and other moderators have now asked multiple times for you guys (especially you) to move on and drop it. You're still continuing on.

Last warning as this is the third staff member asking this: if we have to ask this a FOURTH time, infractions will be issued. We're all tired of this bullshit clogging this thread. Not a good look for a newbie that you're already on the verge of an infraction. I suggest you either stop, or find another forum to post on, because your contribution to these boards thus far has not exactly been constructive. Thank you.

16. Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

You've completely disregarded both my points and responded to statements I didn't make.

I pointed out that you said the members have not branched out in music, and told you you're wrong because the music taste here is extremely varied and diverse, even on an individual basis. I don't care about your assessment about how condescending people are here because that's not what I was pointing out and I'm not embroiling myself in that. I have my own opinions on the environment around here. I then specifically said I agreed that critique is absolutely fine and said I agreed with that point. Literally said as clear as day, as explicitly as possible, "I agree". That you still want to argue over a point I agree on makes me feel like you just want to scrap with people. I added that you should realize that Chester's reactions have not been to critiques of the album, but rather people mindlessly bashing the band as sellouts. Again, no disagreement, but trying to offer perspective for you to consider.

Now can we please actually discuss the content this thread was started for and not continue this endless flame war?

Sasuke and minuteforce like this.
  17. Disturbedthoughts

Disturbedthoughts *Twitch*

Having now watched the video, i do appreciate the approach to the fanbase that have been going on with this album cycle. Despite my general distaste with the album, i do hope they continue with the little things like this. Adds a degree of humanity to the group that a lot of bands end up lacking.

Captain-EO likes this.
  18. Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Excuse me? Where did I attack anyone who dislikes the album? I am astonished you even got to that argument. I feel like I've made it a point, in every post, to make it clear that I really don't care what your opinion is, and that I respect that people vary on their opinions. My critique at Jayhov was at how he/she came into this thread, which was about something totally different, to blast Derek on a positive review for the album.

So, let me get this straight - you're going to criticize everyone else for hating opinions (when they didn't), when actually, we've been forced to direct our attention to the one person who took a long "thesis"-style shit on someone's opinion?

I am bewildered by the nonsense that you and Jayhov have brought to this thread. You come in here and complain about being victimized, and the moment anyone presents a reasonable argument to you, you change the narrative - you make this about you being criticized for x and y. I've looked through this entire thread for anyone attacking you or Jayhov on your opinions of the album, and they are nowhere to be found. You complained once about being called a DBZ fanboy or something, and I don't see that here - you even said you signed up on our forums to jump into this conversation! That shit clearly didn't happen here, because you've made all of 16 of your posts in this thread, and they have not been constructive.

If I didn't know better, I'd toss you off these forums right now because you've been nothing short of a nuisance: constantly whining about people disagreeing with you and calling you shit (who knows where that happened - I certainly can't find it) and yet finding every other opportunity to unfairly criticize those around you.

But, in alignment with Derek's comment earlier, here's your final chance: cut it out right here, right now - both you and Jayhov - and move on. Quite frankly, if you keep this up, you'll force our hand - and that's not fun for anybody.

19. Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

The post @Spencer23 is referring to is the following one I've quoted. The final paragraph is where he is deriving the "DBZ fanboy" comments from. I don't know if that's what I would take it as saying but that's what he's taking issue with for reference. I didn't interpret it as an attack but rather Sonic saying that people watching the DBZ AMVs, which are almost always filled with Linkin Park's old music from Hybrid Theory and Meteora, will not like this album and that it's not for them because they like the old style and this clashes harshly with that.

20. Derek

Exactly. It wasn't an attack, and it's insane it was taken that way.

Now can all of us get on topic?

Captain-EO likes this.