Linkin Park Score Their Sixth No.1 Album On Billboard 200 Chart With 'One More Light'

Discussion in 'News' started by Ree, May 29, 2017.

Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

I'm not gonna break down your collection of bowel excrement because @Meteorain has got your bullshit covered (that was a great response :lol:). Just gonna say you're acting like a petulant child. If you want to be viewed and treated as a child on this forum, please continue posting in the same manner by all means. I realize this post is likely in vain but oh well.
    LMAO.

You must be kidding. Golly, it's like you don't even understand how moronic you sound. Unless One More Light sounds anything like this, it does not in any form of genre classification qualify as "bubblegum pop":

I didn't hear anything remotely like the Jackson 5 on the album, but please let me know if I missed something. :)

All hail the King of Pop.

Meteorain and brady like this.
    frezer86

frezer86 Active Member

@Captain-EO
    You know very well what cheesy pop is, but you brought Jackson 5, family band out of blue to validate your point and you failed. One More Light can't be compared to just to one random band, because it sounds like mix of at least few commercially successful pop stars. If chipmunk voices and na na na na's are not cheesy then what is ?

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Can everyone just stop using the phrase "chipmunk voices" for fucks sake? God I wish those movies were never made because now whenever vocal pitches are shifted higher everyone makes the same, dumb, comment of "wow didn't know the chipmunks were a feature on this album" or some dumb shit like that.
    /end rant

Also, Chris is certainly right here. Not one song on this album is bubblegum, cheesy pop and it's really uneducated to call them that. Yeah sure, pitch shifted vocals and na na na's are elements of "bubblegum pop," but there's nothing else to support that claim. Maybe you could make an argument for BS being bubblegum pop, and that's a big maybe, but just because that song is uplifting and pop doesn't automatically make it bubblegum pop.

frezer86

frezer86 Active Member

@Brady
    Oh yeah, so now I'm uneducated good to know. This forum proves me everyday more and more that it's place full of fanboys ready to shed blood for everything that LP does. No wonder there are hundreds of users online almost every time I visit here, but only small part of them participate in actual discussion. I can't believe I was same kind of blind fanboy until this album cycle. It opened my eyes.
    I've stated that many times, I have nothing against pop unless it sounds like LP did it with OML. I like eg. Kimbra, Sophie Ellis-Bextor, George Michael and Wham, The B-52's, The Asteroids Galaxy Tour. That's kind of pop I'm digging in. OML for the first time ever makes me feel embarrassed to be a fan of LP. This isn't A Thousand Suns experiment anymore, this is 180 degree turn.

street soldier likes this.
    zazofazo

zazofazo Well-Known Member

:sorcerer:
    Here we go again with the fanboy claim .
    Seriously , saying that OML is bubblegum pop is like saying that hybrid theory is Thrash metal record and I get that you hate the album but that doesn't make it all of sudden bubblegum pop.
    I get your frustration but everyone is allowed to defend something they really like just like you are allowed to trash the album. Calling anyone who defends the album fanboy doesn't put you in better light and to play the devil's advocate you sound like an "uneducated" most of the time because you are not just hating like some of members but you are also calling it something you don't even know much about.

LohithMohan, Avo, Sasuke and 2 others like this.
    Captain-EO

This shit is precisely why no one is taking you seriously, pal.

LohithMohan, @LP2K12, Avo and 2 others like this.
    frezer86

frezer86 Active Member

@zazofazo and rest
    Whatever, I'm done with this forum and band for good so you and rest of ''in love with new LP users'' can carry on with indulging yourselves. It was good while it lasted. Don't bother replying because I won't.

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

To think this is cheesy bubblegum pop, then yes you are either uneducated on what that sounds like or you're only making this claim because you have to find some reason to tear apart this album that you don't like so you fabricate this claim.

And there's the classic "well you're just a fanboy who loves everything the band puts out."

Well you're not a true fan, only true fans love everything the band likes, so you need to stfu and gtfo!!!1!1!1!1!

But for real, that's such a baseless claim. Just because I'm proving the fact that this album isn't full of a bunch of bubblegum pop songs doesn't make me a fanboy. There are plenty of songs the band has put out that I think are bad. There have been decisions made I don't disagree with. I'm not some blind fanboy.

EDIT:
    Good riddance. No one will miss you. :)

Avo likes this.
    Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

.. I mean... thing is...

a lot of it really is, though. And I think it's less OML is "mindless", and more that I think a lot of you are frequently really, really unfair to make music as a whole. I can see the case being, like, the lyrical content being more nuanced or 'deeper' than your average Top 40 song but... not by that much.

Can you articulate your viewpoint a bit more? Because a lot of OML has way more in common with music I think a lot of its defenders would dismiss as "mindless pop" than I think they really realize.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

The reason I came in this thread is to say my copies of One More Light finally arrived :headbang:
    Glad to be able to do my part to help Linkin Park get #1! Now I own HT, Meteora, MTM, ATS, LT, and OML :)

Flozuki, Deliveranze and Captain-EO like this.
    Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

Honestly that OML cover alone is worth having.

Blake likes this.
    Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

I would really like to say "Congratulations, Linkin Park, on a job well done", but something is preventing me from genuinely saying/meaning that. Just what that might be is difficult to figure out, though I hope to actually congratulate LP on something eventually. Yes, this is still my favorite band, regardless of how I feel about OML.

A good part of this album cycle was off-putting for personal reasons, and I don't want to get into those now. What I will say is that there are lessons to be learned from an unusually contentious album cycle.

1. Expectations must always be kept as low as possible leading up to a major release. It doesn't matter how creative of imaginations we may have, for we will inevitably be (very) disappointed if the end result of the music does not live up to higher expectations. Even the most passionate of LP fans, or fans of any artist, really, must never have false assumptions about the sound or direction of new or unreleased material.

2. Whenever an artist is getting ready to release new material, especially through extensive promotion, they must always be ready to face a variety of criticisms, both positive and negative. It is clear to me that LP had a much more difficult time reacting to the harsher criticisms of OML, especially Chester. This likely had to do with OML being quite personal to the band members themselves. However, what constitutes as personal for one person may not have the same meaning for another. The outside listeners are not expected to understand exactly what the songs on OML mean to the band members, for we are all different individuals with distinct life experiences. As an artist no doubt knows, they will always be judged for the final result, no matter how much their work means to them on a personal level.

These are my current thoughts. I will likely add more as the thread continues.

street soldier and Non-Pattern like this.
    Halfway Dwight

Halfway Dwight We are the fortunate ones.

Well, about your second point, I don't think Chester reacted that way because of criticisms to the music itself, but rather because of the people that were calling them sellouts.

Meteorain likes this.
    Non-Pattern

Non-Pattern You’re about as sharp as a bowling ball

I concur. The first point though isn't just exclusive for LP but for any other bands and musicians as well. I think LP's history and the constant change for each album made fans expectation just more unpredictable and noticeable than fans of other bands.

As for the second point...I would say it goes both ways. While I'm a visual artist, I do understand why Chester reacted like that, even though I still think he could have handled it better. I have made illustrations that I feel is my best or most personal, yet they tend not to receive as much appreciation or love as other works which I might have done it half-heartedly or solely for the audience/fans. Besides learning how to discern good and bad criticism, artists need to learn that in the end they need to do their best and be (modestly) proud about their end product, regardless of reception.

One thing to add about criticism, is that sometimes it's not always a bad thing when the artist receives it. Without the controversial criticism, there wouldn't be a lot of attention on LP and OML, and might not have contributed to the successful sales and the billboard result. So having a tinge of controversy or criticism isn't all that bad. I like OML, but I find myself looking for (good) critical reviews of OML, those who dislike it but can give interesting analysis on the album. So this is just a tip for those who are somewhat (over)defensive of the album and disregard others.

P.S: I'm glad the band has made it this far, and especially Chester apologizing and admitting his mistakes on twitter, things are getting quieter and back to normal.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

OML is obviously not the most sophisticated music you've ever heard and the lyrics aren't particularly verbose, I don't think anyone would dispute that ... but the music is still not bubblegum pop, no matter how much anyone dislikes it. That subgenre stopped being a thing some decades ago

Captain-EO

Breaking news: Linkin Park 7th studio album revives the sound of the Jackson 5 and the Monkees!

:kappa:

HypnoToad

HypnoToad Glory to the HypnoToad! LPA VIP

The closest thing we have to "bubblegum pop" right now is Carly Rae Jepsen (which is not a knock on Carly at all, I consider Emotion to be one of the best pop albums of the last 5 years).

Go listen to Emotion and afterwards if you can come back and post that it sounds similar in anyway to One More Light then I'll pay for you to get your ears checked.

brady, Captain-EO and minuteforce like this.
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Yeah, some CRJ songs definitely have that element in them - "I Really Like You" and "Call Me Maybe", off the top of my head, are very obvious examples. But that's definitely not enough to consider the subgenre alive and well, not that anyone's claiming that here

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

I guess what I'm getting at is that because it's not... shit, what's even a good comparison... One Direction? Maroon 5? Like it not being 'boyfriend and girlfriend songs' put it on this level above "normal pop music", and people don't realize that most Top 40 stuff really doesn't sound like that anymore. Like you you said it there, that music doesn't exist anymore, however that dude's not entirely wrong. OML totally sounds like whatever equivalent it has today. All but maybe the title track sounds like it would fit comfortably on the next Now That's What I Call Music.

Which is fine. It just seems like -50 year old terminology aside- that a lot of the staunch supporters of the songs come at it from a defensive kind of "these totally aren't like those songs...", not realizing just how many of "those songs" actually do sound like that. Like, the band enlisted the help of... the writers that make that kind of music, of course it sounds like that...

InStereo

InStereo Well-Known Member

I didn't like the album but I am happy about #1. Looking forward to the next one though..

Blake, LohithMohan and minuteforce like this.