Linkin Park Score Their Sixth No.1 Album On Billboard 200 Chart With 'One More Light'

Discussion in 'News' started by Ree, May 29, 2017.

1. Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

No, because if he makes basic mistakes in his single point (if you can even call it that, it was more just straight up calling it crap with literally no argument given, but that's beside the point), I'm not going to take that point seriously. Of course I know what he meant, but it's hard to take someone who's meant to know what they're talking about seriously when literally all they can say is "this is EDM crap" and can't even get the genre right. To use a non-musical analogue, it's like Sean Spicer saying Hitler didn't gas his own people; of course we know the point he was trying to make (that the Assad regime is horrifying), but it's very hard to take someone seriously when they drop the ball on simple details. It'd be excusable if he made a few mistakes during a longer piece of analysis, but if you only spend 30 seconds on something and still make mistakes, then no, I'm not going to consider it a particularly thought-provoking opinion.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  2. Dannyc

Dannyc Well-Known Member

The only reason THP didn't sell well because imo it wasn't universal, it wasn't promoted well and because rock/metal is dying out imp. I mean THP has the best instrumental experiement the band has ever done. The guitars and drums are just awesome. I think they picked the wrong songs to be singles for it that's another reason why it didn't sell well. I think LP panicked because it didn't sell well and that's the reason they made OML to be more of a universal record to gain the casual radio listener to check it out. But Mike said he was happy with THP and where it stands after all the sales so idk.

Michele likes this.
  3. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I actually think they picked the right singles for THP. Guilty All the Same was the perfect first single to get hype rolling for the album. Until It's Gone was the best fit as a radio single out of the whole album and then Rebellion and Final Masquerade are two of the three best songs on the album, one of which is perfect for Rock Radio while the other one could probably pass on a pop station. THP didn't sell as well because they did an awful job promoting it and because album sales are lower in general. Let's keep in mind that even though the sales would have been similar, if THP was pushed back a week it would have been #1 because it would have had no competition.

Now along with your original point, I want to bring Living Things into this. Living Things had great first week sales. 222k were the first week US sales if I remember correctly. However, even with the great sales I think the album could have sold more and done way better. Lost In the Echo should have been the first single and it should have had a proper music video instead of the BS video it got. Burn It Down would have been a good second single piggy backing off Lost In the Echo. Lost In the Echo is basically old school LP reformed ti fit with the electronic sounds of ATS and it would have brought hype back to the old school fans. Drop LITE as single #1 and drop BID as single #2 both before the album and the album sells better than it's already impressive sales in my opinion.

Iopia likes this.
  4. Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

I do kinda agree, but I still think the singles could've been done better. I love GATS, and even though it's arguably too long for a lead single, I think it was a great taste of what the album's about while still being catchy enough to serve as a lead single (and it has no screams). That being said, I definitely think they should've gone with FM instead of UIG as the "radio single", and I personally never warmed to Wastelands, so I think Rebellion would've been a better pick as the third single. Definitely agree though that the promotion for that album was horrendous.

5. Blake

Technically Wastelands was never an official single. GATS, UIG, Rebellion, and FM are the official singles I believe.

Edit: Proof that THP would have went #1 if released another week: "It was the first week of 2014 where three albums sold more than 100,000 copies in the United States."

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    Captain-EO likes this.
  6. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

Fantano is really not the end-all-be-all of music opinions. I don't see how he is more validated as a music listener than people on here. That's just elitist imo

Abel, Sasuke, Captain-EO and 2 others like this.
  7. Virgocore

Virgocore Well-Known Member

I think One More Light would have been better if it was more of a traditional Linkin Park style album. I don't mean the sound. I mean that it should have had 12 tracks like all the other main albums except for ATS. (I consider Meteora as having 12 since Foreword is nothing). They could have thrown an instrumental track on there for track 11 and had a huge epic closer as track 12. And perhaps changed the song order on the album, because I don't like how they set up the track order.

8. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

LP really should release a new single soon and give it some good ol' promotional lovin' (please either SFN or SE). It'll really help keep up album sales and keep up their rank on the artist chart.

The promotion for THP was really the death of that albums and I really hope this album doesn't fall suit. I wanna see this album stay big and keep being talked about.

Sasuke likes this.
  9. Virgocore

Virgocore Well-Known Member

I think they did a decent job promoting OML. Heavy was a huge success for the band and it was the lead single, so they did that right. And the album did hit number one in the charts of it's release week, so there's that. I mean you aren't going to get the numbers that they got with their earlier albums because 2017 is a different time than the 2000's. The 2010's are much different, and we're closer now to the 20's, so it will change even more. Not to mention, I don't think the world was screaming for a pop album by Linkin Park. So with all those factors, I would say they did good promoting it this time. They also did tons and tons of videos with online personas, did tons of interviews, tons of TV, etc.

10. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Context clues. Given in the form of a quoted comments and the idea that responses would likely be given to the topic that's selected.

And then the rest of this I'm dismissing, because the entire thing is just bolstering the entire point; you'll all nitpicking one thing, harp on it, and go off on unrelated tangents, apparently to "disprove" the original comment, when the comment was a one-off of an overall point. This is not deniable, since after like the third or fourth time the "bubblegum" thing got addressed, I still had people asking me if One More Light sounded like Michael Jackson. Which nobody ever said, but it was a nitpick, that was harped on, and done to dismiss the overall idea. I don't think for a second you don't think Fantano doesn't understand genres and I believe you all knew very well the point he was getting at, and you had to have know becaaaaause... he kept giving context. Whether or not you liked his opinion is irrelevant, he gave some (and eventually, much more) thoughts on why he came to the conclusion he did. You all instead fixated on some bizarre technicality and chose to pretend the prolific and high profile music critic, literally, 'had no idea what he was talking about'.

Seriously, how many times was the 'Top 40 and Now That's What I Call Music' thing referenced in a "I don't understand why you brought that up!" post, after I clarified again and again? That. You found on thing, completely divorced it of any context, and almost deliberately proceeded to ignore further context in order to reiterate "Ah but see this word that phrasing ah I got you see I don't recognize that in this context..."... while you're being given more context.

I don't even think you're all doing it to be shitheads, but I definitely believe you're exaggerating your critiquing abilities and think that these weird little quips and brief, condescending remarks are how you're 'supposed to do' music discussion. Like the "OML vs Jackson 5" thing? I really do believe those people posted that thinking it was ending that discussion. I don't think it for a second registered to anyone the guy wasn't trying to tie the album to a 1960s movement despite the mans use of other synonyms as context clues (that thing again!) for 'generic' because it didn't matter, you "proved" he used the word wrong. Me referring to compilation albums full of 'todays popular music' and an album that could be on there almost in its entirety was irrelevant, because apparently 15 years ago those albums had "credible rock bands" on them. It's all these weird little comebacks that make no real sense in the grand scheme of what's being talked about, and then perceiving any follow up as some kind of enraged reaction to be talked back to.

Think I'm wrong about that? here, check out my in depth "angry ravings about the album I hate" and explain how it's any more extreme than anything else that's been posted in that thread, let alone the rest of the board. And if you can't find anything? Remember that's been reference repeatedly in this thread as evidence of my hair-trigger temper about this album I hate so much. By people who nitpick.

11. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

Not trying to be rude but I really don't think this argument is worth the multiple pages and countless paragraphs that it's produced. It goes for everyone that's participated in it. It just feels very drawn out and redundant at this point...

At this point we're just telling each other that we don't understand this and that. It's way beyond the original intent of this thread.

Louis, Abel, Fathom and 9 others like this.
  12. alex172005

alex172005 Member

I haven't read every single comment, but I feel like most of the people arguing (that I've seen) are forgetting one important fact: "If you purchased tickets to Linkin Park's North American Tour, then you would have been emailed a free copy of the album to redeem - which counted towards the album sales once redeemed."

This had to have added thousands upon thousands to the album sales figures. I'm curious how many. Without this, it's unlikely that it would've outsold THP. These numbers aren't impressive. It beat out an album that's about a month old for the top spot.

13. HypnoToad

HypnoToad Glory to the HypnoToad! LPA VIP

The funniest thing about this thread (before the spiral) are the passive aggressive "they got what they wanted" comments.

14. Dannyc

Dannyc Well-Known Member

I'm perfectly fine with THP being Number 3 on the Billboard. It went number 1 on US Rock albums, and 1 on US alternative albums. Whats really funny is that HT was number 2 on the Billboard 200, and thats their biggest album.and biggest selling album. I guess that shows that the Billboard 200 is way overrated imo lol

15. Blake

Actually it doesn't. You aren't thinking about context.

Hybrid Theory was the bands first album and I'm pretty sure the album didn't even go #2 it's release week. The album blew up but not the week of release. When the album started to really gain traction it got up to #2 which is quite amazing for an album that wasn't in it's release week.

16. Dannyc

Dannyc Well-Known Member

Oh okay yeah i wasnt sure. I remember when HT came out everyone was talking about it, who is this? whats the name of the band? After a few weeks when HT blew up, that sh*t was huge and ppl were buying it like crazy. I borrowed money from someone just to go to bestbuy and pick it up and not to many were left which is crazy.

Blake likes this.
  17. Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

Agreed. :)

I was just a little jarred by the bubblegum pop comment, being the MJ fan I am. I knew I should have bitten my tongue. :lol:

minuteforce likes this.
  18. TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

It legit feels like some people only come on here to argue

@LP2K12 and Captain-EO like this.
  19. Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

Didn't you know the sole purpose of the Internet is to argue? :halfkappa:

Abel, brady and TobinKnowsBest like this.
  20. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Im not saying they've done a poor job of promoting the album so far, but they really need to keep it up so that the album doesn't burn out quickly. Some of the songs on the album like Sorry For Now and Sharp Edges have a lot of radio potential, so they should be promoting one of these songs (or maybe even Invisible) as the next single soon, and they need to do a good job of promoting them so that they do explode. This will keep them up in the charts and not fading fast.