Linkin Park tops the Billboard Artist 100

Discussion in 'News' started by minuteforce, Jun 1, 2017.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Well, selling a lot and being talked about a lot - being popular - is how you end up on a chart like the Artist 100. No-one said that it strictly correlates with the quality of the art. So, no, Biebs being #1 wouldn't mean that his music is great, but it wouldn't automatically mean that it isn't great either.

Shadow

Shadow The Evil That Men Do.. LPA VIP

I mean, yea I am sure what you are saying is fact but I am talking Linkin Park vs Linkin Park.

So let's see how it plays out :)

zazofazo

zazofazo Well-Known Member

Well tbh I think that's not entirely fair because album sales decline year by year thanks to the streaming and believe it or not linkin park is probably one of the weakest artists on streaming .
    So to go #1 without being reliable on streaming is huge deal regardless of any drop in the second week

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

I call bullshit on that, my man.

I think 2017 is as good as time as any to retire the whole 'They should be expected to do amazingly by virtue of being Linkin Park' thing. It's been years, and a solid argument could be made they haven't been that force of nature they were in 2004 since maybe 2010 or 2011.

Yeah yeah, the facebook likes and the well performing concerts and all the other things people point to. But the band hasn't been this Goliath they were in their first two album cycles for a very long time now. It's like saying 'Why isn't this Bon Jovi record record doing well?!' or expecting the Red Hot Chili Peppers to debut gold because they were massive years before. At a certain point it's pretty unfair to expect they still be s big as they were a decade ago. I was really impressed with they did when I thought they hit #2, so seeing how it panned out was a good surprise for them, but I'm of the opinion they shouldn't be expected to pull those massive numbers -or anything close to them- anymore. Be happy for them when they do, but keep reasonable expectations for them when they don't.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    minuteforce

Captain-EO and Blake like this.
    Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Agreed. Sorry is JB's best song.

In fact songs named Sorry or that have Sorry in the title are usually good songs ;)

Captain-EO likes this.
    brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Your point is? Quality is subjective

Virgocore

Virgocore Well-Known Member

I really don't want to come across as a douche here, but I somewhat have to defend Keyboard Warrior's comment. I agree that just because something is successful or does well, etc., that doesn't make it ''good''. Music is 100% subjective, obviously, but I just mean for me personally. Some of my favorite music of all time is extremely ''underground'', I guess you could say. I mean of course Linkin Park has always been mainstream as hell, I could never deny that. I mean other bands and artists that I like.

However, I do agree with you, minuteforce, because just because it does well in the charts, doesn't automatically mean it's shit, either. Like I said, music is 100% subjective. I also happen to enjoy some music that was super successful and mainstream as well, and so doesn't anybody on this site in a way, since everyone here knows this is a Linkin Park site. It's funny to see these people complaining that this album is mainstream, etc. and yet they're on a Linkin Park fansite. Surely you know, Linkin Park is mainstream people, no?

minuteforce

No-one would have heard about Linkin Park, let alone become fans, if the band didn't get the massive amounts of mainstream exposure that they've gotten throughout their career, whether back in 2000 with "Hybrid Theory" or 2009 with "New Divide" or whenever.

I would never have become a fan if it weren't for the music videos playing on music programs on TV and the insane amount of airplay that "In The End" got.

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

I like his music actually

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

It's 2017. We need to stop acting like Justin Bier is bad. His old music could have been better but he was young and still going through puberty.

Justin Bieber makes good music in 2017.

HybridT

HybridT Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you. There are still people that hates JB, or they look you with a weird face when you say that his music is good. (IDK, at least this happens to me)

Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

Exaclty! especailly at that time when internet wasn't a big thing, and you didn't had the chance to search and find the music you like whenever you want.

Blake likes this.
    Keyboard Warrior

Keyboard Warrior Well-Known Member

I'm not acting like he is bad, it's actually my opinion.

Meteorain likes this.
    Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

Then you probably shouldn't try to prove a point with it, because generally proving a point with a subjective opinion doesn't work out.

Meteorain and Avo like this.
    Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Preach. Modern day JB is excellent. He has a great voice and his current music is a lot more mature.

Captain-EO likes this.
    minuteforce

Just personally, I would say he was making better music in 2015 and 2016 ... but this year's not even halfway done :shifty:

Captain-EO likes this.
    Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Smartass :lol:

Captain-EO likes this.
    Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

You can't have opinions here.

Michele likes this.
    Mitch

Mitch YTB

.. but that's your opinion. Whilst I agree with the basic statement of Justin's music being good, no one has to adhere to what you've just said as it's an opinion.