Give me some of your favorite songs and why you like them

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Captain-EO, Jun 5, 2017.

Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

Pretty self-explanatory. I find people's music tastes really interesting around here and I'd love to see some music people really like, for whatever reason. Suggest as many as you like, but I strongly suggest adding some notes about what you like about the tracks so I can appreciate them as well :p

Halfway Dwight

Halfway Dwight We are the fortunate ones.

Outside of Linkin Park, one of my favorite songs would be On Melancholy Hill from Gorillaz.
    Even though it's not their most complex or experimental song, I think that the mix between the instrumental and Damon's vocals creates a melancholic :halfkappa: and relaxing vibe that transports you to a different world. I also think that the lyrics are beautiful, even if they are simple.

Michele and Captain-EO like this.
    Captain-EO

I've actually been listening to some of the stuff from Gorillaz lately, so impeccable timing!

Michele likes this.
    Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

CHVRCHES - Science/Visions, This is one of my favorite songs ever, the combination of the heavy synths and Lauren's soft vocals is pretty unique. and I could probably play this song million times and never get tired of it :)

Purity Ring - Stranger than Earth. This is my favorite Purity Ring song ever. it has the best electronic build up I ever heard, plus one of the most smooth vocal performance Megan has ever done!

Bring Me The Horizon - Doomed, this song is one of the best songs I ever heard, it has everything that I love (electronic synths, big catchy chorus, emotional vocal performance).

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

Ryuichi Sakamoto - Nostalgia

A song I listen to during difficulties. It's just piano, noise, and some string instrument (can't tell what). The music says what words can't.

Ryuichi Sakamoto - Firewater

Just a noise instrumental mostly. It's a very melodic track but I can't tell at all what's going on in it. It's also another really depressing piece of music, which Is why I listen to it. The music here also says what words can't.

Autechre - Vletrmx

A droney and moody instrumental. A sense of dread and emptiness. I get lost in it.

U2 - Acrobat

One of the darkest but uplifting songs I've heard in my life so far. It sounds angry and betrayed but not victimized. Almost on the edge of losing hope.

BT - Our Dark Garden

A really long and droney ambient ballad. It has the same chord progression in its entirety. The song continues blooming until it ends. I can't tell what the lyrics are... As the instrumental grows, the vocals harmonize over each other continuously. I listen to this a lot when I want to give up on life.

Coldplay - Midnight

This song reminds me of riding in the car at night as a kid with my parents and looking out the window. There's a bittersweet feeling to childhood - you can kind of sense that being an adult will be far from what you expect. This is also another song I listen to when I feel like giving up on life.

Brian Eno - And Then So Clear

This is basically just a drum pattern that sounds like a heart-beat, a few notes of piano, vocoder, and a heavily effected synth part (I think). The lyrics in it are beautiful. Expressing disappointment in humanity, relationships, a lack of personal and spiritual growth, and sensing the cycle will never stop. The end of the song is one of the most cathartic experiences.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

I apologize for the essay I just wrote. :lol:

Dream Theater - "Octavarium"

"Octavarium" is a 24 minute odyssey that's an absolute pillar of modern Progressive Rock. It expemplifies best of what I love about the genre, it takes you on a journey, it's an experience. The song is split up into 5 different movements:

I. Someone Like Him
    II. Medicate (Awakening)
    III. Full Circle
    IV. Roots
    V. Razor's Edge

The first movement, Someone Like Him, is split up into two different parts, the intro, and the meat of "Someone Like Him." The intro is entirely played by the band's keyboardist, Jordan Rudess, which is reminiscent (and purposefuly so) of what I consider to be Pink Floyd's best song, Shine On You Crazy Diamond.

One thing that always strikes me about Octavarium is how it builds. As mentioned previously, the song opens with a 3-4 minute keyboard intro, which transitions to the next 5 consecutive movements. Someone Like Him starts off so soft and quietly, but with each consecutive movement, the song becomes more lively, with more added instrumentation. Medicate introduces a very prominent bassline, and by the time Full Circle is reached, the song becomes pure instrumental madness that Dream Theater is known for.

Octavarium is the title-track for the record the song is from, and closes out the album. One thing that is just so unique about the album is that you don't actually find out the record is a concept album until Roots, nearly 19 minutes into the song, and nearly towards the end of the album. It's such a unique thing that I don't think has ever been done before. The album has 8 tracks, and in "Roots," each track is given what could be considered a summary in each consecutive root, with 8 roots in total. In the 8th root, which represents the title-track, a conclusion is made from all of the experiences within each song. Tracks from the album deal with things such as alcoholism, terrorism, and many other things common to the human condition. The song concludes that "Step after step, we try controlling our fate, when we finally start living, it's become to late." We get bogged down by so much shit which in the end is utterly meaningless. By the time that's realized to its fullest extent, we've already pissed our lives away. Rather bleak, but powerful.

The final lyrics in the song are in Razor's Edge:

"We move in circles
    Balanced all the while
    On a gleaming razor's edge

A perfect sphere
    Colliding with our fate
    This story ends where it began."

The song then closes out with the beginning to the first track of the record, "The Root of All Evil," thus completeing the never-ending circle of human suffering.

TL;DR: Check out the song, it's pretty cool.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    Modern Guitar God likes this.
    Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

My 4 favorite songa of all time are songs everyone knows. As much as hipster I can be with music sometimes my all times favorite songs aren't necessarily songs people usually cite as the best songs ever but they are popular songs. The reasons I like them are because of the lyrics.

No order:
    MGMT- Kids
    Box Car Racer- There Is
    The Fray- How To Save a Life
    Oasis- Wonderwall

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

I didn't name all my favorite songs cause people would hate me for that lol. It'd seriously be a thesis or something

Captain-EO

Wow I listened and it was almost as basic as Miley Cyrus' music :kappa:

Gibs likes this.
    Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

My favorite Nine Inch Nails song, here in its Still version. Clear emotion made sound. Incredible.

"Midnight" has been one of my favorite songs since it came out. You ever heard a song that sounds like you're in a forest dancing with the animals at midnight? Now you can. Incredible video aswell.

"On GP" is a fucking masterpiece. It's the saddest song in the DG discography, and at the same time the most uplifting. Also check out this fucking incredible piano cover.

Nine minuts of emotion, manifested in the most fun way possible. I'm not a huge Green Day fan but "Jesus of Suburbia" is one of my favorite songs.

Not much of A Perfect Circle fan either, but "Counting Bodies Like Sheep to The Rhythm of The War Drums" keeps me coming back every few weeks, and has for years now.

And before I get called out for it, "The Catalyst" is still my favorite song. But I figure you all know that one.

Modern Guitar God, Michele and Gibs like this.
    Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

No one mentioned a Linkin Park song yet! what a surprise :halfkappa:

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

@Filip +1 about the Midnight mention

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Just to name some:
    Die Ärzte - Schrei Nach Liebe (1993)

This is the most known anti racist song here in germany. So powerful and a full hit in the face of all these fucking idiots.
    This could work as a translation:

Your violence is just a silent scream for love

Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb (1979)

I dont think i need to explain why i love this song. Just incredible.

Linkin Park - Breaking The Habit (2003)

This is definitely my favorite LP song. So emotional and beautiful at the same time.

Rise Against - The Good Left Undone (2006)

One of the first songs i listened to by Rise Against. Still a banger. And great lyrics.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    chris2 and Modern Guitar God like this.
    LP Soldier 01

LP Soldier 01 True LP Soldier

Captain-EO

Hi bump please I've been listening to the same albums over and over. I need variety.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Variety you want, well variety you shall get!

(All song titles are Youtube links)

VIENNA TENG | HARBOR
    One of my favorite artists ever. She's a very deceptively-talented musician. I love showing people this song off her sophomore album Warm Strangers as it's the perfect demonstration of that. At first listen, it's a typical piano-led "pop" song. But on further examination, it has some funky time signatures in it. The verses are in 5/4, with a 2/4 tag near the end, the choruses are primarily in 3/4 with a 4/4 tag at the end of each iteration, and a bridge in 6/4. And despite the musical complexity, it's just a stunningly beautiful song.

She also has a varied range of lyrical topics that I find refreshing for the singer-songwriter types. Examples include a song about a rented minivan, a song about the fallout immediately after a suicide bombing, an acapella song about the goings-on of a family who lost a loved one in a car crash (narrated by the one who died), a song about how the Earth has survived the rise and fall of societies and the idea of Mother Nature being a vengeful entity, and countless others.

I wholeheartedly recommend all of her albums.

THE CARDIGANS | PARALYZED
    (if you want to skip the atmospheric whistle intro and get to the actual meat of the song, skip to 0:25)

You might best know The Cardigans for the song Lovefool, which featured heavily in the Baz Luhrmann's, movie Romeo + Juliet starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes. This Swedish band is considered, for the most part, a one-hit wonder in the US and it's a damned shame. What I love about this band is, like other bands I enjoy, they're not afraid to drastically change up their sound. Compare Lovefool to the electronic glitch-fest that is the song linked above. Paralyzed comes from the electronica-influenced album Gran Turismo. The track My Favourite Game off this album ended up being featured as the intro to video game Gran Turismo 2, bringing things full circle.

Following up Gran Turismo is the album Long Gone Before Daylight, which drops the electronica influence and goes Americana. This album includes one of my favorite songs EVER, For What It's Worth.

I highly recommend albums First Band on the Moon, Gran Turismo and Long Gone Before Daylight to any listener. I'm not that big a fan of their most recent (which is 13 years old at this point, yikes) album Super Extra Gravity.

THE BLACK QUEEN | ICE TO NEVER
    The Black Queen is a synthpop project comprised of the former vocalist from The Dillinger Escape Plan, former member of Telefon Tel Aviv, and former sound engineer for NIN and DEP.

Their debut (and as of now, only) album, Fever Daydream is just pure joy. 80s influenced electronic music with strong (and soft, depending on the song) male vocals singing some surprisingly infectious melodies. This album was a surprise favorite for my top albums of 2016, which was a pretty strong year for music in my realm of listening. I think my standout song from that record is Tamun Shud, though that changes depending on mood.

I'll edit this with more when I get more time off from work.

Jesse and Captain-EO like this.
    Captain-EO

I appreciate this reply! I will definitely look into these. Feel free to add as many as you please lol.

StrictlyJohnD

StrictlyJohnD Go Texans & Rockets!

Pimp tha Pen was my gateway to the Houston rap scene. "Draped up and dripped out" is how we live in America's fourth largest city. I can't resist bobbing my head to it. RIP DJ Screw.

Jah, I can't get enough of the bass line. In fact, it was because of this track I became a fan of the bass guitar. The guys of Interpol would be lying if they were to say that Nirvana had nothing to do with the bass rift.

My parents' theme song, essentially. And I'm a sucker for guitar-driven ballads.