How much damage (if any) did this album do?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Chris loves LP, Jun 10, 2017.

Chris loves LP

Chris loves LP Well-Known Member

I'm curious about people's opinions about this, because the consensus (outside of LPA) seems to be that the album is horrible. Whether or not this is actually the case is beside the point, but do you think that this record will result in a decline of their popularity or relevance?

On a positive note, I think the album brought some attention to them. But was it worth it?

One More Rob

One More Rob Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on the viewpoint that you have. For example the fact that when they perform songs from this album and get booed for it. I mean even the non-metal songs that came from ATS or LT didn't get this reaction at festival shows.

I am not as radical as saying something along the lines of "This album is hrrible I'll never listen to LP again etc." BUT at the same time its the first time I do feel kinda disappointed and hope that LP never makes an album like this again.

kcg and Chris loves LP like this.
    brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

I really don't think its fair to say only the LPA likes this album. I have seen very mixed opinions outside of the LPA, and the major consensus (if you could come to any) would be "meh."

Also @A_Thousand_fans where have you heard this?

Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

I don't give a fuck about what other people think or say, I only listen to music for myself. and imo OML is better than 50% of LP discography, the production, the mixing is an other league compared to LT & THP and of course lyrically very strong too (the fanboy card don't work here because I dislike many stuff they've done)
    And on other note. LP can't win no matter what they do, they will be always people who bitch!

One More Rob

One More Rob Well-Known Member

Where have I heard what? That they got booed? Just check the thread for the Download shhow in Paris.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Honestly, I don't know if it hurt Linkin Park that much but it hurt them more than some people on here like to say/think it did.

People keep telling me Heavy is doing well? Well I ask where? I've heard it NOWHERE in the state of Washington. Not once. They say it's doing well on the charts but how much of that is actually reaching an audience that weren't already Linkin Park fans? Streaming counts now where it didn't for any other Linkin Park single. What if that chart performance (which really isn't that good to begin with if we are being real) is solely because of Linkin Park fans streaming the song? Or what if one state playing it a lot is skewing the data upwards?
    I have heard stories of people who normally don't listen to Linkin Park enjoy this album but all those stories have come from one place: Here on the LPA. We as a community are going to try to get other people to listen to new Linkin Park as we are pretty hardcore fans.

I think LPA lives in it's own bubble and the album isn't doing as well as a lot of people think it is.

I'm one who will say it's definitely done more damage then good. Sure, Nu-Metal fans have been complaining since the beginning of time but I've seen a lot of people who enjoy new Linkin park hate this album. As someone who actually likes the album, I still think it is their second worst album to date. My best friend is also a huge Linkin park fan and he agrees with me. We both have OML as 2nd worst and THP as the worst album. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of other people out there have this same opinion. I actually like OML so I like to think of it as THP just not being my thing but the fact is their last two albums have been my least favorite so maybe the quality of Linkin Park albums is on the downfall. If someone who spends his day on LPA is saying that, what does the mass audience of LP think? Every time Linkin Park posts on facebook it's hate after hate. Now i've heard that argued that it is the vocal minority because people are more likely to make negaative comments but this time I 100% they are not in the minority. There are a lot more people that dislike it than like it. Along with this, if that comment is true about fans booing the new material then it definitely lines up. In my opinion, the Carnivores setlist was almost perfect and now they took a 180 removing all heeavy songs from the album. When the heaviest song on the setlist is Faint, there is an issue. I personally am okay with this setlist but a lot of people want to see a energetic setlist when they go to shows. If they got booed at Download Paris where Blink-182 and Pierce the Veil were on the same stage (two bands people say fell off), I can't imagine the reaction at hellfest, I already know Linkin Park won't switch up their setlist for Hellfest and I would not be surprised at all if they got booed again. Regardless of how good or bad I like the new songs, they feel like they make the setlist weaker than it could have been because they decided to make the entire setlist mellow to fit the mood of the album. Sure, people will still go to Linkin Park concerts but for how much longer until attendance starts to fall? At least in the US. This album definitely hurt them but how much I can not really say. I went to Carnivores tour and will be going to the One More Light tour so I will have a better gauge if I see a drop in attendance.

Going back to facebook, here is an example of something I posted once and the reactions it got:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Basically a lot of people were angry
    [​IMG]

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

None. A Thousand Suns actually got as bad (if not worse) public perception when it dropped and it didn't do any permanent damage to their reputation (so long as you don't believe the usual dip in sales over a 15 year period was caused by genre shifts). They've been helped substantially by the fact they've always been viewed as a pop band, and have always done pop songs. Regardless of this albums overall success, it didn't do any lasting "damage" to their brand that wasn't a factor already.

zazofazo

zazofazo Well-Known Member

So let me get this straight , you went from actually loving the album to calling it the second worst and If I remember correctly you were one of the few ones who loved heavy upon it's release and loved EVERY song on the album .
    I'm not trying to be disrespectful but you seem you are pretty much affected by the hate the album gets that it changed your perception of the album as a whole and it seems that you forgot that even if people hate an album that doesn't make it a bad album.

Blake

Did you even understand what I wrote?

I love the album. It is still their second worst album. It has always been their second worst album in my opinion ever since release. That doesn't make it bad. It just means that while One More Light is good, Linkin Park has released 5 albums better than it.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I've heard Heavy at least 4-5 times on the radio since it's release. It's not on the radio as much as say 'Shape of You' but I've heard it more than I've heard other LP singles.

Halfway Dwight and brady like this.
    Blackee Dammet

Speaking of, isn't that guy from Warner saying the song is killing? I don't imagine he would lie, so I'm really interested in how it's doing well while staying almost stagnant at around the #50 spot.

I assume pop charts are just "worth more" than rock songs? The dude said something along the lines of the song doing so well they were deliberately preventing them from putting out a new single yet didn't he? I'd love to see some insider thoughts on it.

brady

I've actually heard it a lot more than that. And I don't usually listen to the radio in the car (I usually play music from my phone).

Blake

But see, it's all arbitrary comparison. How good is good?

Maybe it's doing well compared to all the singles from THP but is it actually doing mainstream good?

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

I would say that the majority of the media and mainstream public who dislike the record jumped ship from LP long ago anyway. Of course this is not going to be the same case for everybody, but I think it applies. I think they'll be fine.

Blackee Dammet

If it was doing well enough to hold off on a second single? It has to be doing something worthwhile.

TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

Don't really think the "general consensus" is that it's bad tbh. After the initial wave of "0mg this is the CHAINsMOKERS LOL #LinkinPop" comments once Heavy dropped, it seems to be more levelled out in terms of praise and criticism.

Generally, people who dislike something will speak out 100x more than people who like something on social media and you have to factor in that it's almost seen as cool now to trash on anything Linkin Park has done since 2003.

I know plenty of people at my work and in my group of friends who think the album is great. Plus it must've been REALLY bad to get to #1 :lol:

Maybe I'm just living inside my LPA bubble :kappa:

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

well, people make more jokes now about me for listen to LP :lol:

brady likes this.
    Blake

But what's your definition of worthwhile?

For a band as big as Linkin Park, I don't think it's doing what it could be doing.

brady

#StopTheBullying2017

I think you're way overestimating the band's current appeal to the mainstream. Maybe in 2008 this would be pretty bad for them, but I think heavy and this album did very well for this band being 17 years old.

Sasuke likes this.
    Blackee Dammet

I don't know, that's why I was hoping the guy might show up and explain. I'm not even entirely sure I'm correct with what he said, just that that's what I'm pretty sure I recall when someone asked him about Invisible or something being released as a second single sometime soon. I have no idea how well the song is doing, and to me it does look like it's sort of a dud, but the dude -unless I'm gravely mistaken about what he was saying- says the label considers it a very big win for them somehow. I was curious as to what metrics they were using to determine that.

Blake likes this.