June 14, 2017 - Nickelsdorf, Austria | Nova Rock Festival

Discussion in 'News' started by Filip, Jun 13, 2017.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

[​IMG]

Linkin Park returns to Austria for the 11th time tonight, to play the Nova Rock Festival for the fourth time in their career!

The band first performed at the festival in 2007, where the band played an 18 song set starting with "One Step Closer" and ending with "Faint", as was the case with most of their 2007 and 2008 performances. Interestingly enough, some of the bands equipment was damaged a day earlier when a tornado hit Venice just before the bands performance. For their Nova Rock performance, the band had to work with festival promoters and other performing acts to piece together all the equipment needed to play the show.

The band returned to Nova Rock in 2011 to kick off their A Thousand Suns European Tour, and played a 21 song set starting with "The Requiem" and "The Radiance" leading into "Papercut", and ended with "Faint" and "One Step Closer", both with their extended outros. That is an amazing show finale which I would happily take back, but, what do you think?

They returned again to play the festival the following year, in the midst of the album promotion for Living Things. Once again the band was struck by bad weather, and their set time was reduced about 45 minutes, causing them to play only a 16 song set beginning with "A Place For My Head" and ending with "One Step Closer".

But, on to the present...

Last night, the band played their first non-festival show of this European Tour in Berlin. All I can say is, the band delivered. The live debut of "Sharp Edges" has been speculated for a few weeks now, but the band debuted both "Sharp Edges" and "Nobody Can Save Me". As someone who considers these two tracks the absolute highlights of One More Light, I am very satisfied.

Another interesting thing to note about the show is that it was the first time "One More Light" opened a show, and on top of that, it was performed acapella by Chester.

"Nobody Can Save Me" was played between "Lost In The Echo" and "New Divide", replacing "Battle Symphony" for the first time during the band's One More Light touring cycle. The track was performed by the full band, with Chester also grabbing a guitar, and sounded pretty close to the actual album version, which is impressive for the first performance of the song.

"Sharp Edges" opened the encore, and was performed acoustically by Chester and Brad, with Rob contributing just tasteful little hints of percussion. The song was also performed with an extended intro, and you can check out the performance below. Keep an eye on just how much Brad is into the song, which is understandable as Mike clarified recently that Brad was the lead writer on the track.

Are you interested to see if the band returns to their festival setlist tonight or if they keep performing these two new songs? It's unlikely the band went through the trouble of learning to play these songs just for the few non-festival shows of the tour. I personally hope these two songs stick around in the setlist for a long time.

Also, this leaves only "Sorry For Now" and "Halfway Right" as songs from One More Light which have not been performed live. Do you think we'll get live debuts of those soon or not?

Or maybe you just want to talk about how good of a song "Sharp Edges" is? I'll join you right in on that in our forums! Also, take a second to check out this Meet Up Thread, maybe you find something for yourself there.

Remaining shows on the European tour:
    Jun 15, 2017 - Krakow, Poland, Impact Festival 2017
    Jun 17, 2017 - Monza, Italy, I-Days Milano 2017
    Jun 18, 2017 - Clisson, France, Hellfest 2017
    Jun 20, 2017 - Amsterdam Zuidoost, Netherlands, One More Light World Tour
    Jun 22, 2017 - Madrid, Spain, Download Festival Madrid 2017
    Jun 24, 2017 - Scheessel, Germany, Hurricane Festival 2017
    Jun 25, 2017 - Neuhausen Ob Eck, Germany, Southside Festival 2017
    Jun 27, 2017 - Sopron, Hungary, Telekom VOLT Festival
    Jun 29, 2017 - Norrköping, Sweden, Bråvalla Festival
    Jul 01, 2017 - Werchter, Belgium, Rock Werchter 2017
    Jul 03, 2017 - London, UK, One More Light World Tour
    Jul 04, 2017 - London, UK, One More Light World Tour
    Jul 06, 2017 - Birmingham, UK, One More Light World Tour
    Jul 07, 2017 - Manchester, UK, One More Light World Tour

TheZlajaZlo and Michele like this.
    TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

I'll be attending the show. It will my 4th time seeing them live and 2nd Meet & Greet. Yeey.

Filip likes this.
    Chris loves LP

Chris loves LP Well-Known Member

Me too :awesome: (6th for me, too bad I didn't know there was meet & greet at festivals :/)
    Looks like we tend to attend the same shows.

You're also from Hungary, right?

TheZlajaZlo and Filip like this.
    viktorignatov77

viktorignatov77 Well-Known Member

They are saving Halfway Right and Sorry For Now for US Tour I think.

Filip likes this.
    TheZlajaZlo

I live in Slovakia.

mandylane

mandylane Well-Known Member

nice

TheZlajaZlo

I got back from the festival, and here are some notes:

- they played shortened set compared to the other dates on this tour (no Battle Symphony, One More Light or encore)
    - I asked Mike if there's a chance of playing Final Masquerade on this tour, and he said "very unlikely"
    - they had some technical problems during Invisible intro, so they had to start it again. Chester suggested they play "punk rock version"

Iopia, Sasuke and Filip like this.
    The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

I'm pretty sure the shortened set was also because this was a festival. Other than Download the festival sets have been pretty short.

1. Fallout/Roads Untraveled intro
    2. Talking to Myself
    3. Burn It Down
    4. The Catalyst
    5. Wastelands
    6. One Step Closer
    7. Castle of Glass
    8. Good Goodbye
    9. Lost in the Echo
    10. Invisible
    11. New Divide
    12. Breaking the Habit
    13. Crawling
    14. Leave Out All the Rest
    15. Points of Authority
    16. What I've Done
    17. In the End
    18. Faint
    19. Numb
    20. Heavy
    21. Papercut
    22. Bleed It Out

Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

I hope they keep that Fallout/Roads Untraveled intro instead of the OML intro.

Virgocore

Virgocore Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, what do the crowds react like at all these huge heavy metal festivals when the band plays on this tour? I mean this set they're currently playing really doesn't have anything that's heavy in it except for Faint or One Step Closer, since they dropped Given Up, Lying From You and more. Like do the crowds get pissed? Do they like it? I'm curious.

TheZlajaZlo

I saw some people with their middle finger in the air when Heavy was played, but basically everybody likes their older stuff.

The Joesen One

Kinda ironic imo that "What I've Done" and "Bleed It Out" are still considered as their "new shit" even they're over 10 years old.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

For nu-metal fans, anything newer than 2003 is straight futuristic.

TobinKnowsBest, blackout. and Sasuke like this.
    Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Could it be that these people stuck in another timeline? :eek:

Virgocore

Virgocore Well-Known Member

For real. Haha. Minutes to Midnight is pretty old school Linkin Park at this point. It came out 10 years ago and they've done so much music since. I think people that refer to Minutes to Midnight songs as ''new shit'' are just basically saying they don't like it because it isn't nu-metal.

The Joesen One

For reference, those songs were the jams of me and my friends when we were in elementary.

We're all in college now entering senior year. :lol: