June 18, 2017 - Clisson, France | Hellfest 2017

Discussion in 'News' started by Filip, Jun 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Are we actually bringing up the "Linkin Park sold put with this album discussion?" Really?

Dannyc

Dannyc Well-Known Member

Who's talking about shawn mendes or ed sheeran? I wasn't

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

It's strange to me that there are still people calling them "sellouts." It's been clear from the start that this is a sound that excites them. Of course they know it will have more mainstream appeal, they're not fucking idiots. But as long as their creative vision wasn't compromised to create the record, that by definition is not selling out. I wish this shit would be put to bed already.

Serenity, Avo, Halfway Dwight and 6 others like this.
    Disturbedthoughts

Disturbedthoughts *Twitch*

Out of curiousity, what exactly is the difference between a bias towards nusic and knowing what sort of music you enjoy? I've seen the term bias thrown around this album cycle and I'm not entirely certain as to what people mean with it.

I dont particularly care for country music or raggae based on my prior experiences. I'll listen to a song if someone wants me to, but i certainly wont seek it out of my own accord. I wouldnt consider myself bias against these genres but i certainly dont like them on a whole.

I apologive if this is more of a pm sort of situation but it has been a question on my mind.

minuteforce likes this.
    Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

I must be missing them. I've yet to hear something that makes me go "oh that's fresh".

Also calling us biased is a bit of a bold statement of someone that runs the LPA and still gives this album an A on Altwire.

street soldier likes this.
    Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

Stop please

Michele likes this.
    Gibs

Filip's got Most Controversial 2017 in the bag. :kappa:

Filip

I like the album. But if you think I'll ever use the words "creative" or "risky" to describe it, you're out of your mind.

brady

One More Light was definitely creative and risky.

Gibs

lol that bait

Filip

Not taking it, up til now I was just defending my opinion. But if you're baiting, at least make it quality.

brady

Not even bait, I was being serious.

Filip

Argumentate. You seem to be totally missing this whole part of productive conversations where arguments are made.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Like I haven't heard that absolutely asinine argument 100 times since the album has come out. I think I need to spell it out for you and others that I really, really don't care if you think I'm biased or think my review makes me a fanboy. Clearly Altwire didn't take a hit from it and we're still doing well despite the partial backlash from some people about the review (which I expected to have) so I could honestly care less if people don't approve of what I said.

You have the right to call me biased if you want but I also have the right to call people biased too because from my perspective I've seen people call this album a sellout record, or unoriginal just because it's 'pop'. And that has to be one of the most idiotic arguments for an album not being 'creative' that I've ever heard. So yes, I will call it out as stupid. Repeatedly.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Serenity and brady like this.
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Whether or not you like the new album, I'd say that this is a wild exaggeration of how innovative or fresh those albums were in basically every sense you could be referring to.

Filip

I'm in no mood to argue with you on this, I respect you too much for it.

I came off as a passive agressive dick, but I stand behind it, I'm sorry. I don't think you or me are capable of writing an unbiased review of an LP album, just as I don't think Consequence of Sound is capable of writing a fair Radiohead review, and The Needle Drop isn't capable of an unbiased Death Grips review.

Music reviewing is very, very subjective, but when you turn it into something you do professionally (or half professionally, as AltWire), I expect unbiased reviews. I don't think your OML review delivered that. I stand by that opinion.

I never once called the band sellouts, go through the thread, you'll see. I am not calling this album uncreative because it's a pop album, for fucks sake I listen to a shitload of pop music. I am calling it uncreative as it sounds like a lot of other artists out there, doesn't push any boundaries (not that it has to), doesn't have a lot of moments that make you go "wow". But at the core of the problem of the album is a very simple fact -- these songs are not good enough to justify all being done to the same old formula.

Derek

I edited my post since you've quoted it because I felt like you being passive aggressive didn't mean I had to be as well. So in the fairness of letting you respond accurately, if you'd like to reread it and make sure your response still applies, I'm being fair and letting you know it was edited. Have a read and then feel free to respond to it when you respond to this. It's only fair to you.

And my response is this: If you don't think I can give an unbiased or fair review of
    OML just because my opinion doesn't match yours, than don't pay attention to my Linkin Park reviews. Clearly our tastes and preferences in music don't mesh and that's fine. But calling me biased because I don't agree with your opinion on an album is quite humorous. My argument for claiming people were biased was based off the fact that some people don't even give pop music a chance because it's pop. And I believe both of us can agree that in itself IS a bias. It's blindly hating on a genre without giving music within it a fair shot. Maybe that's not what you did but others have done that. Many times.

*EDIT* Answer me this. If you liked the album, if you didn't hate it...would we even be having this discussion? Would you still call me biased if your opinion aligned with mine?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Halfway Dwight likes this.
    Filip

I'm not paying attention to your review - when you complained about Wikipedia not including it to the article, I told you straight to the face that I agree with them. I know this doesn't hold truth for a good chunk of the fanbase, but I, personally, am not biased against pop music at all. Hell, go check out my best of 2016 list, you'll see I named Flume's "Skin" my most-listened-to album of the year.

And God knows I've argued here today more than anyone, but what my entire problem was, is the fact some people just blindly take it as if everything the band says/does is undoubtedly right and I personally feel like they've been more full of shit this time around than any other. I think I've provided arguments for everything I said, and honestly I'm exhausted and don't see the point of this thread going any further - it's gone off topic enough as it is. I am not against locking this now.

If you still have a problem with anything I said, I'll gladly discuss it over PMs. @Derek

Derek

Nah I think we're good. No need to beat a dead horse any further. I think the a huge part of the problem here is that Linkin Park have always been their own worst enemy when it comes to promoting their records. They don't know when to bite their tongue. Whilst people may accuse me of bias, I'll be the first to say that Linkin Park really doesn't get it right when it comes to promoting their music. The fact is, each new album has contradicted the mission statement of the album before it. Which makes it hard to know how the band really feels.

ATS was the band trying to get as far away from 'old LP' as possible, as they had 'moved on' from the old sound. This lasted about one album before the band said 'we're okay with our old music now and we want to make a mix of old and new and make firecracker songs'. They pretty much made LIVING THINGS accessible. This was then totally shit on with THP when they went 'anti-pop' and had several decently long songs, that had no similarity to LIVING THINGS. And finally they went pop on this album which understandably gave the fanbase a collective 'huh?' when Heavy came out. It made me scratch my head at first for sure, but I ended up greatly enjoying One More Light.

Long story short. They shoot themselves in the foot sometimes when promoting their music. It's unintentional, but sometimes they get a little 'caught up' in the moment and say the wrong things. Case in point: Mike's comments about NIN on the THP AltWire interview, and Chester's 'go stab yourself in the face' comments this cycle. :lol:

Lotus likes this.
  20. Filip

I agree with that. Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.