One Month After "One More Light"!

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Sasuke, Jun 19, 2017.

?

One Month After "One More Light"!

1. I Still love it

25 vote(s)
    56.8%
  2. I Still hate it

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  3. It has grown on me

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. I don't care for it

10 vote(s)
    22.7%
  5. I'm neutral

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
    Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

So after one month, what had changed. do you still love it, hate it or has it grown on you?
    For me, I still love it, and I still play it all the time and it's one of my favorite albums of this year! Nobody Can Save Me & Sorry for Now are now some of my all time favorite LP songs :)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Noosh

Noosh Well-Known Member

Along with Living Things and A Thousand Suns, this is one of the first albums I always listen to on my phone at the moment. The album exceeds THP in the sense that there's so much more variety in terms of sounds, the lyrics are alot better, the production is gorgeous and overall, it feels a way better offering even if it's only 10 tracks long. Halfway Right, Talking To Myself and Invisible are still highly enjoyable and even weaker tracks such as Heavy still sound pretty good.

Dick-ridey as this may sound, I can't see myself getting sick of this album any time soon

Halfway Dwight and Sasuke like this.
    Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Grown, but still my least favorite work by LP.

dontFindOutMe and Sasuke like this.
    Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

After one month it sits exactly where it did a month ago. The only difference is that I find myself listening to it less and less as the weeks go on. But to be fair I've done that with every new album this year for some reason. Even my then #1 album of the year (now #2), Kendrick Lamar's "Damn" I listened to it heavily for two weeks then kind of dropped off. Same thing happened with Ed Sheeran's Divide, Motionless in White's Graveyard Shift, and now Linkin Park's One More Light. We will see if Halsey falls to the same treatment. I think a big part of why this is happening is because I find myself going back to various play lists I have made lately.

Regardless, despite the fact it's not in heavy rotation like it was a couple weeks ago, I still enjoy it and would give the album a "B". I do feel that the album has some of the best songs they have ever made such as "One More Light", "Sorry For Now", and "Nobody Can Save Me" but it also has some of their weaker tracks in their discography such as "Heavy" and "Invisible." Both would make my LP worst 10 I think. The album overall is good and even though I think Heavy and Invisible could be better I still give them a "C" and "B" rating respectively which means I don't skip them and the album is listenable in full. My final comments on the album is that it's not an album I wanted from them per say but I was pleasantly surprised with the result.

However since the release of the album I have found myself listening to an influx of "Heavy" Linkin Park songs as well as my favorite softer songs from Linkin Park. I've also found myself listening to the first 3 Linkin Park albums in full which I had not in a long while. I'm not sure if this is because I think One More Light is weaker than those albums or if it because I like the new album and like Linkin Park so much that I go back to their whole discography when they release a new album. I remember that didn't happen for me when The Hunting Party came out but I also don't like The Hunting Party so I'm not quite sure.

My last thoughts on the album are that while I think it's a good album, I also think it's their second worst album.

My tiers for albums:
    Living Things (SS)
    Meteora (SS)
    Minutes to Midnight= Hybrid Theory (SS)
    A Thousand Suns (B)
    One More Light (B)
    Nicklebacks Worst Album :halfkappa:
    The Hunting Party (D)

It's funny because I have a friend in real life who loves Linkin Park as well and we have the same tier ranking except he has Living Things down with ATS and OML.

Also If it wasn't for The Hunting Party I would basically be dickeating all their albums. Linkin Park will forever be in my top 10 acts of all time even if they fall off at some point and you can definitely notice that with my high tier ratings for the first 5 albums and OML :lol:

Regardless of my thoughts of the overall albums, one thing that Linkin Park does good is each album always has a select few (or many in the case of LT for me) songs that you can say are the "best they have ever done."

Sasuke likes this.
    Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Still stand by my review. Still listen to it 1-2 times a week.

Noosh likes this.
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I rarely listen to it just because I need to be in a fairly good mood to want to hear it, but, otherwise, still firmly a fan of the album. :)

Noosh likes this.
    Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

I thought I would get sick of it or grow to dislike it but I haven't.

Noosh likes this.
    Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Where's the neutral voting option? It has to be either love, hate, or indifferent?

I played One More Light daily for a while but as of two weeks or so ago I've gone back to my daily shuffled playlist. Sometimes I crave something like Halfway Right or Sharp Edges, and other times something from A Thousand Suns or The Hunting Party comes on and I shake my head as to how a band could have regressed so much. Regardless, the title track is pretty near godly as far as stripped down ballads go.

Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

Isn't "I don't care for it" the same?
    And I think the title track is very disappointed imho :shrug:. it was nice at first but now I barely play it or even enjoy it, it gives me nothing. some emotional singing here and there isn't enough tbh. and I'm also not the lyrics guy, more the melody & beat sucker.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    Virgocore

Virgocore Well-Known Member

I voted for ''I don't care for it''. I'm not going to say that I hate it, because I don't. Like I've said in many posts before, I don't like any of Linkin Park's music that they made after Minutes To Midnight. But that doesn't mean that I hate it or don't respect the band for all they do. I have a friend who still enjoys the album a lot, she plays it quite often.

dontFindOutMe

dontFindOutMe Well-Known Member

Still my second least favorite album by LP. But I would by lying if I said I didn't find myself humming the songs totally unintentionally during my work :lol:

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Not really. I care about One More Light for what it is, but nothing more. So, "it's alright" would be a great option.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Added "I'm neutral" as an option. Hopefully you don't mind Sasuke.

Blake and Sasuke like this.
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

What Derek means is that he still reads his own review 1-2 times a week. :kappa:

One More Rob

One More Rob Well-Known Member

I think I listened to this album twice (in total), realized that it won't grow on me at all. With other albums it was either it has grown on me by the second listen or I should just ignore the album. I am going with the latter for this one.

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

Still would say I love it. It's still pretty early, but almost nothing about my opinions have changed. The top tracks are still SFN, OML, Heavy, NCSM, some middle tier of the rest, and then bottom of the barrel are easily BS, GG, Sharp Edges. Not that it's a bad thing, but I feel like not much changes with multiple listens to this album for me.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I'm amazed you have Heavy in the top tier of the album :lol:

Orange Box Nerd

Orange Box Nerd Drop the Keys to the Kingdom

This album is by far my least favorite from them in a long time. With all the variety coming out this year in terms of releases from other bands(Mastodon, Seether, and Rise Against to name a few) this album just fell flat upon release and I just cant listen to album anymore then my primary 3 whole playthroughs of the album when it first came out. Still a 1 out of 5 for me. Hate me for having a different opinion, but this is just how I feel about this album

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

yeah, thats te first time for me that i am more hyped for over releases this year, especially the Foo Fighters album, when i was for OML. would give it a 3/5 though, but still my least favorite.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I don't listen to it anymore. Occasionally I throw on Sorry For Now or Nobody Can Save Me. There's just too much interesting music coming out this year.