June 18, 2017 - Clisson, France | Hellfest 2017

Discussion in 'News' started by Filip, Jun 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

My experiences seem to be different from everyone elses, everything I've seen suggests a lot of rap-centric fans can appreciate (even if they're not explicitly fans of) the bands more rock stuff, but aren't convinced of Mikes "cred" and don't think they make necessarily good hip-hop music. I think when seen as a "rock band with some rap sprinkles on top" they tend to appreciate it more, whereas you're not going to find a ton of rap purists go out of their way to praise Rising Tied.

Speaking of, Rising Tied got an "Ok" reception from a lot of pure rap fans, not huge props. In fact a decent case could be made that the lyrical content of Welcome, the last Fort Minor single, was almost entirely Mike complaining about his lukewarm response to his efforts to try and ingratiate himself into the "real rap" culture.

Modern Guitar God likes this.
  2. Dannyc

Dannyc Well-Known Member

I know and have alot of friends who are rap-centric fans, and only praise HT and Meteora. Because those two albums speak to a large audience of different people on a lot of different levels. The casual listner will always know LP for those two albums, and at the end of the when its all said and done LP will always be remembered for HT and Meteora.

3. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I actively post on Kanyetothe.com which is not only the world's biggest rap forum, it is also the world biggest artist forum. Straight for people's mouth, most of these rap fans view Linkin Park as a joke. Some of them don't but a lot of them do. Some of these people like rock too just more like Tame Impala and Radiohead styles of rock.

When it comes to Fort Minor, not all of them hate it. Some actually enjoy it but when I put it in my top 25 rap albums of all time list I did get some backlash for that album being included.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  4. Virgocore

Virgocore Well-Known Member

I like a lot of hip-hop/rap and I love The Rising Tied, non-bias aside. I didn't really enjoy Welcome, though. But I like the original Fort Minor shit a lot. We Major was cool too.

Blake likes this.
  5. Blackee Dammet

Now I want to bring up a touchy subject but one I thing might be relevant.

How much of that forum do you believe to be black? Because, "serious" black rap fans and "serious" white ones tend to consider different things when articulating opinions on what they deem good.And white fans, as "outsiders", might feel the need to overcompensate by not looking like they like corny songs or artists. Lil Wayne, for example tends to be received quite poorly by white 'hiphop heads', where you might rarely ever see a black rap fan unload a spiel about why Wayne is bad. Stuff like that.

Black fans, in my personal experience, might not feel like they're losing "credibility" by saying they enjoy Linkin Park music, where I think a white fan might consciously not want to be seen as endorsing what could be viewed as corny.

I realize there are more than two races, obviously, but I wanted to put out that example.

6. TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

[​IMG]

brady, Michele and Modern Guitar God like this.
  7. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

Whoa whoa whoa

What are we doing now

brady and Michele like this.
  8. Zak

Zak HEY, EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!

:dafuq:

Michele likes this.
  9. Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

One day, if the band make a sequel to ATS or in the vein of Reanimation, people will always complain and compare it no matter how good the album is. Even if the band will release Hybrid Theory III, people will still complain and calling them desperate or sellouts.
    I like OML more than THP and that's just my opinion..

Sasuke likes this.
  10. Blackee Dammet

I'm saying that black fans, since rap is commonly thought of as "theirs", would have less hesitation to admit to liking Linkin Park - despite perceived lack of authenticity or credibility in rap communities- than white fans of the same music if he feels he needs his opinion to be considered as as valid.

Pay less attention to the fact I'm talking about "the blacks", and go back to the example I posted about Lil Wayne? Have you not heard fairly unflattering opinions about his output over the years? Now have you not noticed a lot of the people who dislike his music tend to all look the same, which is differently than how Wayne looks?

11. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Yeah I really don't have a response to that.

12. Blackee Dammet

I mean I didn't think I was bringing up the Trayvon verdict or anything but ok...

13. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Accurate portrayal of my face reading this thread.

TobinKnowsBest and Iopia like this.
  14. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Did you just... ah never mind, it's not even worth it.

15. Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

Oh calm down people. What he's saying isn't that weird. he's just saying that white hip hop fans might be afraid to support hip hop artists that aren't critically acclaimed for fear of being seen as one of those "wannabe cool/think they know hip hop" white folks.

Not saying I agree with that theory, but I don't think it's that crazy. And let's not get that mob mentality going, please.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    Sasuke and Modern Guitar God like this.
  16. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I think people are more confused because this thread took a few left turns into a discussion about race.

I mean, what in tarnation? This thread is so far outside of it's original topic it's not even funny.

17. Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

Hahah well that's true. I have to admit that I haven't read the whole thread, I'm just going off of that one post. I just thought I'd defend the guy before people started yelling "racist" or whatever. One thing that I don't always like about this forum is the way that people can kind of "gang up" on one person.

18. Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

That's it, I'm closing this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.