Fort Minor in the works?

Discussion in 'Side Projects' started by Ollie, Jul 6, 2017.

Ollie

Ollie Shemus

There is a possibility that we may see some new fort minor things in the near future. This is possible as oml is stripped of any rap style songs, indicating that they may have been set aside for fort minor. It is inevitable that mike made some rap lyrics for the latest album, but is keeping them for a special occasion. This has happened before with Welcome, which was made during the creation of OML.

Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

Maybe, but it could just as well take another 10 years til the next comeback song drops. Actually, I feel like most parts of OML could have been processed into a FM song so I'm not sure Mike is setting much aside for FM

Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

I'm guessing most ideas Mike had for FM ended up just being incorparated into LP, scrapped or set aside, and if it felt right it would become their own thing like "Welcome". OML contains the least amount of rapping than any other LP album to date, and since they obviously trim/scrap a lot of material for their albums it's possible they'll revisit some of it ("Living Things" comes to mind).

I imagine FM is something that's special to him and he doesn't want to make anything that feels forced, but instead release FM material whenever the time feels right. Obviously he's very busy with LP, but I wouldn't mind if there was a small hiatus after they're done touring for OML - and maybe that would result in some side projects from them.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

I don't have a source and could be wrong, but I'm 99% sure Mike explained FM's absence as being a direct result of feeling like Linkin Park becoming "compatible" with the type of music he wanted to make in Fort Minor after feeling like it wouldn't have been before. I'll look for it but I'm almost certain that was his explanation for why there hasn't been any official Fort Minor releases since and likely wouldn't be in the future.

One More Rob

One More Rob Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure he said that in every interview for "Welcome", that basically at the time the songs obviously didn't fit in soundwise with LP but now they might as well be. :)

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

Yeah, and now LP's sound is even bigger and more welcoming (lol) to possible FM tracks with Good Goodbye and the rest of OML. But I still have hope we get something as quality as the Rising Tied again one day, with new interesting collabs.

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

I don't think this is the right subforum for this haha. Maybe it should be moved to the Side Projects forum?

Virgocore

Virgocore Well-Known Member

I remember during an interview in like 2008 or something, Mike and Chester both said that the reason that they made Fort Minor and Dead By Sunrise was because they didn't feel like it would fit with the style of Linkin Park at the time, in between Meteora and Minutes To Midnight. But then after Minutes To Midnight was finally done and they released it, they realized that not only could those songs have fit, but there were no creative boundaries anymore for the band, so they no longer needed to make music under Fort Minor or Dead By Sunrise, as they could bring it into Linkin Park comfortably. I think that showed with songs on A Thousand Suns, Living Things, The Hunting Party and One More Light. Yeah, Mike did a little Fort Minor comeback in 2015 by releasing Welcome, but it wasn't a full fledged comeback. I think possibly if the band takes another large break, we may see some stuff from Fort Minor. I think Mike would get antsy and want to play some shows and release some music, so he'd do it under Fort Minor. I don't think Fort Minor is dead at all, I think Mike will bring it back in the future, for sure.

Modern Guitar God and Hybrid like this.