How much damage (if any) did this album do?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Chris loves LP, Jun 10, 2017.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Yeah, I think everyone here's pretty much in agreement that the band agreeing to play events like Hellfest, even if it were on the back of a proper heavy rock album, is a misstep

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I'm going to make a prediction that, after this current tour ends, this is what the band will end up doing. I think they are getting closer and closer to accepting their role as the legacy act.

Modern Guitar God likes this.
    Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I don't think Coachella would ever ask Linkin Park to play though personally. When's the last time Linkin Park played a US festival anyway?

Not counting Weenie Roast

Virgocore

Virgocore Well-Known Member

They played a ton in 2015, Rock On The Range, Rock In Rio USA and a few others. They played Sunset Strip Music Festival in 2013. And they played some others a few years before that. I found all this on the live guide on LPLiVE.net. They have others listed. I mean I guess they aren't as big in the U.S. as they used to be from like 2001-2008 where they played crazy shows here, but they still do play some big ones.

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

Coachella has an image (a superficial one) they have to protect and LP doesn't fit that. But who knows, maybe they'll let them do it when LP are all like 60 years old and they want to put them on stage in a patronizing way :halfkappa:

Brandon

Fair. I think if they would ask AC/DC and Guns N Roses, they could ask Linkin Park eventually. They could bring out Jay-Z for Numb/Encore and something else. I think it'd go over okay.

This thread got me thinking, and I'm probably being way over-imaginative, but I feel like One More Light might be a final nail-in-the-coffin for the band in terms of any chance of being taken as Serious Artists again. They have two options as to how they move forward:

1. is that they come back with a more rock/guitar/alternative style album. Maybe this album would even be on the more experimental side of their discography with A Thousand Suns and The Hunting Party. But after One More Light, who would take it seriously? I'm sure it would come with some cringey promotional cycle about how they wanted to do something deeper and how the global political climate is just so alarming that they need to make a statement etc, but the people who this hypothetical album might appeal to would see it as the band trying to save face after their "failed" (in their eyes) attempt at being a pop group. And if there's one thing One More Light did for the band, it's get them back in the headlines of music blogs (not always for the best reasons). Whether true or not, music fans would perceive this move as the band grasping at relevancy. I feel like this album would have no shot at sticking with *any* audience for various reasons.

Option 2 is that they continue down this road as a pop group. This hypothetical album would be full of Weeknd/Starboy-esque electropop, Ed Sheeran style stripped down songs, probably more pop rap than One More Light. Chance The Rapper and Julia Michaels might have features. But pop music is fickle. Not only would the band be repeating themselves, but any new fans they gained with One More Light will probably be more interested in whatever the next big thing is rather than revisiting a band of 40 year olds doing cover versions of their favorite artists.

I think One More Light will prove to be a short term success and a long term failure.

Modern Guitar God

But can we stop speculating about the band's intentions with every album and not act like we have to question everything they say

Brandon

If we're talking about where their careers are going to go from here and how they are impacted by One More Light (which is what this thread is), then no not really. Perception is everything. The band chooses their words carefully each cycle. I don't think it's unfair to apply a similarly careful dissection and criticism to what they say.

Modern Guitar God

I understand that. I just feel like people keep acting like the band are liars who manipulate their fans. And the call the OML album dishonest. That's too far imo

minuteforce

I wonder if Chester focus-tested that "stab yourself in the face" line :halfkappa:

LP Soldier 01

LP Soldier 01 True LP Soldier

As I said, I quite like this record except for BS and Heavy and I ranked it very well on my list (right after M and LT). I think it was better promoted than THP (there were far more messages on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter), but it could have been even more promoted if there were 2 or 3 more actual music videos for example for SFN, OML and NCSM (not only lyric videos/audio version) and also at least 3 more singles, if not 4 (we could have OMl; SFN , NCSM ans TTM as other singles, at least those have a lot of potential). This would certainly boost album sales as well as Youtube views and new LP would not fade from people´s memory so quickly. At least I read on Wikipedia that there´s going to be a new music video for Sharp Edges (I´d prefer either SFN, NCSM or OML).

Virgocore

Virgocore Well-Known Member

The thing is, is the band doesn't see it that way. They seem to really adore the album for whatever reason. It's good to be proud of what you created, but I fear that sometimes they get too far up their own asses, so to speak. Now, this is coming from a fan who really hasn't like ANYTHING that the band has done since Minutes To Midnight. I also fear for the band's future. The band was beginning to be taken seriously among people after Minutes To Midnight and A Thousand Suns, but they threw that away with Living Things. They then put out another more serious album with The Hunting Party, but it wasn't A Thousand Suns level of serious. With One More Light, it DID really take them out of that realm, that realm of being taken as a serious band, for sure, but they knew that going in. Watch the videos of the band talking about what this album would be perceived like, they knew it. They probably figured that at this point in their career, they don't really care about remaining relevant, etc. I mean One More Light is a very low selling album in terms of the band's past, it's their lowest selling album out of all. Sure it hit number 1 the first week, but it's still the band's lowest selling album, and it dropped very quickly from the charts after the 1st week. Heavy was a moderately popular single, but it wasn't as popular as the big singles of the past. I also can't see any other song on the album becoming as big of a hit as Heavy, if becoming popular even remotely. It's obvious that a large portion of the fanbase did not like this album at all. Some did, yes. Critics also obviously did not like this album. The band is quite aware of it. Will they continue to go pop in the future and keep making this album? Most likely. I don't think they are going to change their sound again drastically, I just can't see it this time around, because the band seems extremely proud of this album. It's definitely each band member's favorite album that they have done BY FAR. I wouldn't be surprised if they just continue on as a pop band for the rest of their career. I think it's time for the remaining rock and nu-metal fans to jump ship, because I don't think they're going back to a rock or metal sound at all in the future. I jumped ship after Minutes To Midnight because I didn't like New Divide or A Thousand Suns, and I turned out fine. It sucks when it's your favorite band, but you'll get over it.

Basically what I'm saying is that the band is obviously very proud of the new sound and is very proud of the album, and I don't think they will stop making music that sounds like it just because a lot of fans and critics didn't like it. You also have to remember that although Minutes To Midnight, A Thousand Suns, Living Things and The Hunting Party were all different sounding albums, they all had many styles thrown into one album. With One More Light, you don't have nearly as much variety at all, it's basically all pop or different genres of pop. You have Talking To Myself and Sharp Edges, which are basically pop-rock, and you have straight up pop with a lot of tracks, as well as pop/hip-hop type stuff going on with a few tracks, etc. But at the end of the day, it's their most cohesive album since Meteora in terms of sound. Which indicates to me that they finally found their sound that they're happy with, and this is what they will do for the rest of their career.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    One More Rob

One More Rob Well-Known Member

If LP is really stopping the "Never do the same album twice" and they staay with this electropop route, I think that might be the final straw and I'll stop getting their albums.

Michele likes this.
    Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Same, while i still love the band, i dont need much more of OML. Wouldnt even care about it if not the name "Linkin Park" would be on it.

minuteforce

On what real basis could you claim that that will happen, though?

One More Rob

I'm not. Theres just so many people at this point that say something to the effect of "LP is likely gonna stick with this sound"...whcih to me is just that.

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

I'm really amazed that people are saying that they'll "most likely continue making pop records for the rest of their career". Like, are people really ignoring a decade of the band's rhetoric just because of a feeling they have? Are people forgetting that the band listens to a huge variety of genres and have spoken time and time again about never wanting to repeat themselves? I really don't get it.

Halfway Dwight likes this.
    One More Rob

I do get it. But as a musician myself I personally feel the way that if I experiment but suddenly find a genre/type of music that basically is something I feel like "this is what I want to do forever" then I would do that..

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

If anything, the completely jarring 180 from THP to OML should prove that we really have nothing to stand on in regards to 'what they'll do next'. I mean seriously...did anyone expect after the sound of THP, and Mike's comments about rock that the band would even come close to trying pop on the next record? Or that THP would later be referred to as a 'niche album' by Mike?

Sure it's possible the band may settle into a comfort zone one day in their careers and ride a sound into the sunset, but absolutely nothing this band has done since MTM has even remotely suggested they're interested in doing that. People in this thread are speculating without evidence.

Halfway Dwight likes this.
    Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Honestly Derek, i did :lol: