Good Vs Evil

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Dizzy Slay, Jul 1, 2013.

Dizzy Slay

Dizzy Slay Well-Known Member

Why does doing evil come more easily than doing good?

We say that we must RESIST temptation to do bad and take the high road. But if bad/evil is something we must RESIST, does the word "resist" not imply a natural urge? Doesn't the use of the word "resist" mean that evil is something that is a natural progressive force? So if evil is something we must "Resist", thus meaning it must be natural for us to want to be evil, does that make human beings naturally evil?

Why is evil something we have to fight off. Why doesn't doing good just come naturally?

By the way, I'm speaking under the conclusion that EVIL comes more naturally IN GENERAL. If you wish to make your argument under the conclusion that GOOD comes more naturally to humans IN GENERAL than feel free to make that point as well.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I think it is because doing the good or right thing requires you to try, whereas the evil or bad thing is an easy option a lot of the times.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

This, and the "evil" (I think "bad" would be a more proper word) is often done for selfish reasons, whereas the good is a more humble and noble thing to do (in context of helping other people). Also, this may be purely culturological, meaning affected by what the society refers to as bad or good, but doing bad is considered immoral, and more people will respect you if you do good.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
    Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

I look at it like this:

Life is like an Open-world RPG. And because we live in a society that dwells on the negative, it's more like GTA

The folks who keep losing and have confidence issues are the ones who spend more time stealing cars and beating up hookers because it makes them feel good...and it's not much of a challenge

'evil' isn't natural, it's just something you learn to do. When you were a kid and you experienced something bad or 'evil' all you could do is feel sad and cry. You didn't get angry. Crying relieves stress. Anger causes stress. Stress causes health issues...

It's all just learning bad stuff

Dizzy Slay

Dizzy Slay Well-Known Member

wow. all great points! The one I find most interesting is Rocky's. So you believe that evil is learned, not inherent?

RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

Doing "evil" is just the lazy way to screw everyone over except for yourself. These actions are usually self-benefitting and selfish.

Doing "good" is more or less being selfless or going out of your way to do something that will benefit others but might even screw yourself over.

It might be harder to do "good" because it's usually the more tedious task that doesn't help yourself as much as the person(s) you're helping. By default the other options are to not do anything or to be selfish and "evil".

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

What I was saying, yes.

eveyu98

eveyu98 New Member

Cause we born with sin.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Doing "evil" may be easier a lot of the time but it isn't always easy.
    IDK if this really relates, but, just personally, it's typically way easier for me to be nice to someone than to be mean, which I'd have to go out of my way for. Hating someone (esp. for no real reason) can take effort, and seriously acting upon it could induce guilt. On the flipside, I'm not really much for apologies or forgiveness, I find both pretty difficult

There's a limit on both ends, it's definitely a situational thing.

Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

I think it mostly has to do with survival instinct. I think we are all born with a natural instinct to survive (which in modern days mostly means trying to be better than others) and it's hard for people to ignore that instinct which makes them do selfish things in order to get ahead. Helping others means ignoring that instinct, which is obviously harder to do.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Its not hard to ignore the instinct, atleast for me.

Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

Let me rephrase that: It's hard for a lot of people to ignore that instinct.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

which is sad though.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I think it's really a divide between actively doing "the right thing" ... and doing nothing, choosing not to care, which is effortless.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

1. Holy shit, old thread.

2. No we aren't. No one's born guilty of anything.

Chris loves LP likes this.
    Chris loves LP

Chris loves LP Well-Known Member

:facepalm:

RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

god why was I so edgy 4 years ago