Linkin Park's Chester Bennington Dead at 41

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Jul 20, 2017.

1. LP Soldier 01

LP Soldier 01 True LP Soldier

It's a very sad moment for every LP fan out there, but I'm confident that the band can overcome this and keep making music. I'm waiting to see what the band will write on the official statement.

2. Foreshadowed_LP

Foreshadowed_LP Well-Known Member

What a day so far...

I'm still in tears as I write my 3rd message in this thread, a thread I never wanted or didn't expect to see for another 30+ years. Anyway, I'm reminiscing on yesterday when my Mum told me everything, as I repeated what she told me to my girlfriend, my girlfriend was shocked and immediately ran downstairs to tell her Mum and Step-Dad (all 3 of them were supposed to go see Linkin Park with me in Manchester and I'm so sad that her Mum and Step-Dad won't get the honour to hear Chester live) and when they turned over to the news, nothing was on there. My girlfriend put her iPad on and I told her to go immediately onto LPA as the news was being confirmed. When I then saw it was being mentioned on Sky News, then BBC, then seeing all the comments flooding in on LPA I knew it was real and was something I didn't want to face.

I immediately text some of my friends from work (they're my work colleagues but good friends) as they know how excited I was to see and meet Linkin Park and I kept telling them I got to hug Chester and then I told them how happy I was as I finally got my photo with Chester sent to me. They were all pleased for me and to break this news to them really hurt and they were all very supportive and text me back. I then rang my friend, who I haven't seen in about 10 months, who is now living in London. He was a fan of Linkin Park's earlier work and when I rang him I didn't expect him to answer as I wasn't sure if he was away (he went to Kenya for several months) and he hadn't replied to 2 of my texts, then he answers and he says "I'm guessing you read the news on BBC" and just like that, I knew he was aware and knew why I was ringing. We spoke for 10 minutes, he knew how I felt as he was aware how much of a big fan I am of Linkin Park and Chester. It was nice though to catch up with him despite it being during a very difficult moment. We promised to try and meet-up in September when he's back down in Hereford so fingers crossed that happens. My other best friend also messaged me over Twitter and told me he loved me and he was in shock. It really does feel like I've lost a loved one and to be honest, I have.

Me and my girlfriend also watched the Talking To Myself video and what was a joyous, fun video made us both feel down. She said it was sad looking at how happy the fans were in the video seeing Linkin Park play. We really were and I'm so blessed that I can say I saw them 3 times and every single time I saw them live it was one of the best, most amazing moments of my life. I also said the band looked so happy and were having fun, it made me think of the good times they all must have had together as a band on their 20 year journey.

As for today, I was crying when I was in the shower as I just let it all out as I held a lot of it in last night. I calmed down and decided to watch some TV and I see Scuzz is doing a tribute to Chester all day and Kerrang and MTV ROCK had Chester tribute shows on also. I see they were playing the end of Numb and then the next song is Linkin Park covering Adele's song, Rolling In The Deep live from London back in 2011. I then completely lost it as it suddenly hit me like a violent wave, I'm never going to hear or see Chester live ever again. I was crying and crying as I'm listening and watching Chester give such a moving rendition of the song, with so much passion and amazing vocals and then I had to turn over to another channel. I had to put on football as it was too hard watching the performance. I then left at 11am as I had the dentist and I just felt drained. I saw some people looking at me as I was wearing my Meteora hoodie and I was listening to the final part of the One More Light album, although I had to skip the title track as I didn't want to cry in public, especially as I'm on my way to the dentist.

After the dentist I went to Tesco's as I wanted to get some alcohol as me and my girlfriend are having some drinks tomorrow (I haven't drank in 5 weeks and I'm drinking over the next week as I'm on annual leave and then I'm not drinking again until Christmas time). As I'm in Tesco's, a man who was shopping in there clocks my hoodie and nods his head to me and put his hand up, I take my earphones out and he said "not a good day" and I replied "no, it's an awful, awful day" and he said "yes it's awful" and walked off. It's really sad circumstances but it's nice that some unknown stranger I've never met before can share this sad moment with me. That's what the Linkin Park fans and community is all about, here at the LPA, LPU, LPL, LP Fan Corner and every other Linkin Park fanbase, we're a family. That will never cease and it will always grow and I know over time despite how raw and how gut-wrenchingly emotional I am, I will get through this. I've lost my idol. I've lost my hero. I've lost what feels like a close family member I've loved for 16+ years. It hurts but I am so thankful that although it was not as long as I hoped it would last for, I'm grateful I got to grow up listening to Chester's amazing vocals, powerful lyrics, his funny sense of humour and his amazingly kind nature and affectionate persona.

Chester was indeed a legend, he will never be forgotten and I will continue holding that torch, remembering the good times and how much he helped me grow and overcome in my life. Thank you Chester, thank you for being a huge part of my and so many other people's lives. I will definitely make sure me and my girlfriend toast you tomorrow.

Blake, blackout., Alexrednex and 4 others like this.
  3. Top2Bottom

Top2Bottom Well-Known Member

Speechless. Hurt. Lost. Gutted.

I just couldn't imagine what Chester was going through. Rest in piece Chester. An awesome talent to most, a saviour to many. You will never be forgotten. One more light goes out.

My condolences go out to his wife, kids and band mates. Stick together.

I'm not a religious man by any means, but I really hope there's a place for you to rock on in piece.

I have so much more to say, but I can't find the words. You will be missed mate.

4. Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

None of us would know each other if it wasn't for Linkin Park. As of right now, lets be here for each other. Let's be here for the band. May your love never end and if you need a friend, there's a seat here alongside me.

Abel, Blake, Alexrednex and 5 others like this.
  5. allfinerealfit

allfinerealfit but still we rise

I hope that everyone who has had the privilege of seeing Chester perform live truly appreciates it. There are so many of us who truly, truly longed for that moment, to be in the crowd. To maybe catch eyesight with him during a song or touch his hand in the crowd. What a monumental force for rock music that he was.

Abel likes this.
  6. Hybridora

Hybridora Well-Known Member

I cannot express myself at the present time, I can only say that reading every single comment in this LPA thread has been the only thing close enough that could be called "comfort"

A literal part of me has died, and will never be exactly the same ever again.

7. Kilmer

Kilmer Well-Known Member

The pain is indescribable. I wish I could write a big text but I just keep listening to the songs, crying and reading the amazing life stories here and in LPL. Of course I have one too but I'm just so fucking hurt by this I can't write much. It really helps to read the posts, they make me feel I'm not alone, thank you all for the amazing community. My heart is aching so much I didn't sleep a single minute.

8. Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I've gotten to shake his hand and meet him at meet and greets. I also got to hold his hand and hug him while he was on stage. While those memorable moments were fleeting, they are something I will never forget.

9. Shelton Dsouza

Shelton Dsouza Member

Hey Derek,
    It's good to hear from you. A couple of us here were pretty worried. Thanks for your advice as well. I'm pretty broken this has happened, I lost my dad, my dog and my best friend in a span of 6 months this year and now we've lost Chester.

I will forever regret never seeing/meeting CB in person and there goes my dream of LP ever coming to India. I hope the rest of the bandmates endure. Whatever decision they take I will respect and support it. This community has been a support system of sorts these past few years, I've rarely posted since I joined, but I've been reading these forums for years. I will forever love this community built by the band and fans and I hope we can endure as well.

10. allfinerealfit

That's beautiful. Despite how their music is, Chester was such a soft and gentle man and it's one of my favorite things about our fandom that we can all appreciate that about him. I know so close to his passing how hard it is to not feel sad and weep for him, that's all I have been doing all night, but it's uplifting to see all of these memories that we can share of the good times with Chester.

Please, anyone who has met Chester and had him as a part of your life, keep talking about the beautiful moments with him. We all need this right now.

Abel and Hybrid like this.
  11. LeonCox93

LeonCox93 Member

I can't even listen to any of the music. If I hear even an intro of something I have to turn it off because it's not going to help me. I'm sort of like the opposite to what most of you are writing here. You're finding comfort in listening to his music and I couldn't think of anything worse right now :(. I actually sung One More Light after he died, but the instrumental. I don't want to listen to his voice. I just dread what I will go through when I hear it.

I've had a couple of random moments of me just crying for minutes straight. I'm so sad and surreal. I just feel so sorry for him and his innocence. I don't even know what I'm writing anymore but I don't know what to do for him other than write about it. Hope everyone is okay considering.

Cely_lp and Hybridora like this.
  12. Hybridora

Hybridora Well-Known Member

I was supposed to see them on the 28th...third attempt at trying to see them. First time I couldn't back in like 2007 because of financial reasons, 2nd time was THP tour he broke his ankle a week before my show.....and 3rd............

I am the same as you.

13. Gonzalenz

Gonzalenz New Member

I was 16 when my best friend visited me and we watched MTV and then the OSC Video came and he was like "check that out, they're awesome". No, this was not the beginning of a big love. I didn't like it at all haha. Don't know why. Months later Crawling was on MTV and I watched it because I was a little in love with Katelyn.:) I watched it over and over and then finally bought the album, whose cover later became my first LP Tattoo. I was immediatly in love and from then on listened to no other band for many years! ITE Video came out, I recorded it and watched it over 50 times the same day. My mother said if I keep on watching it it will become boring to me. I KNEW that will never happen. And it never did and never will be. LP and Chester shaped me, made me who I am today and I'm very thankful for that. I have to admit I was disappointed by the latest record, but now I see it in a new light. I always thought LP was immortal, they will always be there. They where my only constant for 16 years and now it's over. I don't think they will carry on with LP and it might be better this way. Chester is irreplaceable. I guess this chapter is closed. But they will always be my favorite band. Some things never change.

My thoughts are with Talinda and their children. With the whole band and his friends. I can't imagine how they feel.

To every Soldier here in the forum: you are not alone. We're in this together. We'll get through this together.

Like others said before: IF SOMEONE FALLS DOWN, PICK THEM UP. This might be my next tattoo...

14. FBN

FBN Member

Yesterday I met a good friend of mine, in a restaurant, I haven't seen for a long time. I think I will never go there for a long time...the last time I went there were the horrible terrorist attack in Paris and yesterday we got the news of Chester. Another two friends of mine sent me a messsage and I just couldn't believe, so I decided to not to talk to my friend in the restaurant about it, because it wasn't confirmed yet and I hoped it were fake...We said goodbye and the first thing I heard in the radio was, that Mike confirmed it. I bursted into tears and for the way home I can't stop crying. I went home but my parents couldn't understand why I was crying. I was questioning myself: Do I overreact? Should I cry for someone who didn't know me? After seconds I was convinced and the answer was yes. Yes it is totally alright to cry. Yes it is totally alright to write with friends about what happend. Yes it was totally alright to think, that a big part of me died. I was shocked like everyone of you.

I had the privilege to see Linkin Park 5 times (2008, 2010 (2 times), 2014 and 2015). Me and another good friend planned to go a concert as soon they will come to Germany again. We both thought of it during the evening yesterday. It helped me a lot to write about it with my friends and to write here. I read a lot of the comments and this helped me a lot too, because I know that I'm not alone.

Thank you Linkin Park, thank you Chester, thank you my friends for every single moment with this indescribable music, songs and lyrics, that helped me through hard time in my youth.

My condolence goes to his family, Linkin Park, their team and everyone who felt heartbroken.

Thank you to share this with all of you.

Michele and allfinerealfit like this.
  15. Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

Chester was the reason I fell in love with the band. His voice lent so much to the music. Old and new. He was unique. There will be no one else like him.

R.I.P.

16. Doridorica

Doridorica Well-Known Member

I'm still in denial and shock, I know it's not healthy not to be able to accept things but I just can't. Million thoughts and questions are in my head, mostly why, why, why. I can't believe he was so depressed, he seemed to be doing a lot better but that's the thing with depression: you put on a happy face and nobody can see how much you're suffering. I also feel guilty because I'm currnetly at my friend's house whose dad died a month ago and feel like I should be comforting her but just can't sit around and chit chat happily. I also haven't told her what's going on because it seems so selfish knowing what she went through.
    My thoughts are with the band and the family, what they must be going through and what it's like to prepare for your husbad/father/best friend's funeral. I want to cry and shout but my mind is blank again. It's so hard to deal with this and although I know I won't do anything to myself it's still so scary to think about everything.
    I also can't believe we have to say goodbye to Chester, like all of you I felt that day will come in 30 to 40 years, not so soon.

17. allfinerealfit

Could someone link me to the version of Crawling that's at the end of this video? It's very well done and one of my favorite performances of Chester's and I can't quite find it.

Edit: Also, the TTM video is such a good showcasing of Chester's spirit, passion, and energy. Love it.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  18. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I lost my dad and my dog too within a year. Looks like we're brothers in loss.

I'm here if you need to talk, and thanks for your worry. I'm okay, just hurting. I lost someone who felt like a brother to me.

19. blackout.

blackout. Well-Known Member

I'm so sad since I've heard about it for the first time. It always felt like the band will last forever and I'll be able to watch Chester in 30+ years on concerts, promoting their 16th album. I still can't believe it but I know I'll have to. Linkin Park is a part of my life and a big piece of this part is missed now. It hurts so much.
    Stay strong, all. Rest in peace, Chaz.

20. MarcusArelius

MarcusArelius Well-Known Member

All I can add here is that if you really are facing the depression you describe, don't think you have no one to turn to. Reach out and tell an actual friend or family member about it. Do something about it. If you don't face it head on, it will lay there dormant and attack you when you are least prepared. The fact that Chester and so many others can't deal with this means that the rest of us need serious help in defeating this very personal cancer.

!Lux and Breno9712 like this.