Will you be able to listen to LP the same way? The lyrics are haunting now.

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by thesungoesdown, Jul 21, 2017.

thesungoesdown

thesungoesdown It's like I'm paranoid..

Is it difficult for anyone else to listen to Linkin Park right now? Every song that i listen to i pick apart a haunting lyric that has a double meaning now. It's as if the meaning to most of their songs has changed now and is a much clearer window into Chester's soul and what led to the suicide. I'll pick just one off each record for example:

Forgotten

"In the memory you'll find me
    Eyes burning up
    The darkness holding me tightly
    Until the sun rises up"

Breaking the Habit

"i'll never fight again.
    And this is how it ends..'

Shadow of the Day (immediately the first song i thought of after hearing the news. Shed tears when i played it)

"I close both locks below the window
    I close both blinds and turn away
    Sometimes solutions aren't so simple
    Sometimes goodbye's the only way, oh"

Burning in the Skies

We held our breathe when the clouds began to form
    But you were lost in the beating of the storm
    But in the end we were made to be apart
    In separate chambers of the human heart

I'll Be Gone

When the lights go out and we open our eyes,
    Out there in the silence, I'll be gone, I'll be gone
    Let the sun fade out and another one rise
    Climbing through tomorrow, I'll be gone, I'll be gone

Mark The Graves

There's so much more to lose
    Than the pain I put you through
    And my carelessness left you in the dark
    And the blood may wash away
    But the skies will never fade
    At least I know somehow I made a mark
    In the dark, in the light
    Nothing left, nothing right
    In the dark, in the light
    Nothing left, nothing right

Heavy

I'm holding on
    Why is everything so heavy?
    Holding on
    So much more than I can carry
    I keep dragging around what's bringing me down
    If I just let go, I'd be set free
    Holding on
    Why is everything so heavy?

AndreyKamensky likes this.
    Wizardofozil

Wizardofozil Well-Known Member

I cant listen to them anymore

Chris loves LP

Chris loves LP Well-Known Member

I can't listen to any of them at the moment. I wonder how much time I need before this changes.

blackout. likes this.
    Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I'm trying to remind myself that Chester was an incredibly quick-thinking, emotional person who wore his heart on his sleeve, and that whatever happened while he was alone with his thoughts yesterday morning was hopefully impulsive. While his lyrics were largely derived from his own life experiences and feelings, and a lot of them came from dark places, I don't think there was any hidden message or foreshadowing in them.

That said, I still can't really bring myself to listen to the music right now...

blackout.

blackout. Well-Known Member

Since the release of "One More Light", I was listening to almost only Linkin Park songs. I was so hyped because of this album and it became one of my favourite album of all time. I was listening to the album again today but it was so hard. I just can't listen to Chester's voice right now. I hope it'll change because almost 60% music that I listen to is Linkin Park. I think that I'll be able to listen to the songs someday, I hope it'll be really soon.

Evan likes this.
    Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

I think those lyrics were honestly his head space at the time and weren't indicating any kind of plan.

That said, the songs are much darker now considering the band's unfortunate fate. I really don't want to talk about them like this anymore.

chowchowchowder and polleo like this.
    leftshoe18

leftshoe18 Well-Known Member

I can't really listen at all. I've tried turning on a couple songs. I watched his last performance of Bleed It Out from earlier this month and broke down right at the first chorus. Hearing his voice right now is so depressing but hopefully I'll be able to listen again soon. The band just means so much to me and has been with me so long. They were my very first "favorite" band and a large part of that is Chester's magnificent vocals.

blackout. likes this.
    iamsatan

iamsatan Well-Known Member

A lot of the lyrics now really sound like cries for help or excerpts from a suicide note.

I had a really rough time listening to songs yesterday, especially Breaking the Habit.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

The lyrics have taken on a different weight and hue, it's true. For so long, we've all listened to this band, primarily from a viewpoint of how we personally relate to the lyrics. Seeing it the other way around now, they sound different - heavier, sorrier, and anguished.

I can listen to them, but I get emotional - but I also love that at this moment I am overpowered with the grief of this music. I say that because it reminds me of my love for this band, and for Chester. It is painful, but this will help me grieve. And we will all overcome.

dreamerpoet and brady like this.
    HybridT

HybridT Well-Known Member

I just can't listen to Chester's voice.

The only song I've heard after this tragedy was Leave Out All The Rest and made me cry like never before.

I think I will have a break on LP music.

Noosh

Noosh Well-Known Member

Alot of their lyrics take on darker shades in light of recent events but the entirety of the One More Light album has the biggest shadow cast over it for me because it's such an upbeat album for the most part. Wouldn't think a peppy album full of inspirational songs like Battle Symphony, Sharp Edges and Nobody Can Save Me which are about overcoming, reflecting on or learning to deal with bad times would be the last Linkin Park album...

Worse still is that I have screenshots of Battle Symphony as my wallpaper on my desktop because I loved the cinematography in the video but I almost feel ill seeing the screen grabs now given that back then, I was so thrilled with the song and couldn't wait for the album itself...

karanveer

karanveer Member

I've been listening to One More Light and I am sort of welling up.
    None of the songs that Chester performed will ever be the same, that's for sure. But time will heal. The message and beat of the song will eventually shine through and you'll be inspired, uplifted and most importantly, feel that "in your element" feeling in your heart that only a Linkin Park song can give rise to.

Evan likes this.
    Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Yes, Lots of songs hold different meanings for me now. Unlike the rest of the thread, I've been listening to them every chance I get and only been listening to them.

Here are the songs that I've found having different meanings so far:
    • One Step Closer
    • In the End
    • Somewhere I Belong
    • Ph5ng Me Aw*y
    • Easier to Run
    • Figure.09
    • Nobody's Listening
    • Given Up
    • Bleed It Out
    • Leave Out All the Rest
    • Too Late by Dead by Sunrise
    • Walking in Circles by Dead by Sunrise
    • Waiting For the End
    • In My Remains
    • Roads Untravelled
    • Powerless
    • Mark the Graves
    • Final Masquerade
    • Nobody Can Save Me
    • Talking To Myself
    • Heavy
    • One More Light
    • Sharp Edges
    Other Songs:
    • Across the Line
    • Blackbirds
    • Chance of Rain
    • A Light That Never Comes
    • She Couldn't
    Now I won't go in depth on why each one has a new meaning for me but all of these songs to me feel like cry for help. Like something has always been inside and troubling him and that he is crying out to us, to somebody, to anybody for help.
    I feel like if Sorry For Now was sung by Chester I would feel the same way about that song too. That would be 50% of One More Light. One More Light really feels like a Suicide Note now but you would have never taken it that way until the tragedy actually occurred.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    chowchowchowder likes this.
    Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Waiting for the end to come
    wishing I had strength to stand
    this is not what I had planned
    it's out of my control

Those lyrics are fucking heavy right now. I always imagined Waiting For The End in the context of A Thousand Suns being about existentialism in a nuclear war. Now the lyrics are directly connected to mental illness.

But this - THIS stands out to me the most:

"We saw brilliance when the world was asleep"

Perhaps I'm taking the lyrics too literally, but it is assumed Chester died in the night when "the world was asleep". In his mind the "brilliance" was finally finding some rest and peace, as if in an epiphany. It's so impactful that the song has taken a whole new meaning for me. The "we" are people trying to escape depression and the rest of the song is lamenting his sacrifice to fight it. In my mind, forever more Chester is literally singing One More Light about his own mortality.

Blake

Add the following songs to my list:
    • Waiting For the End
    • Mark the Graves

Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

Across the Line and Primo are just chilling now.

Blake

I haven't even though of all the demo tracks..... man

Gravity_LP

Gravity_LP Well-Known Member

I can't listen to Slow ya roll ft Chester Bennington anymore

kcg

kcg Well-Known Member

His death will actually make me appreciate and want to listen to his music even more than I already do. Over the last few years, I have discovered so much great music from artists that I never heard much from or even knew existed until right after they break up or they die (Silverchair, Alice In Chains, Dio, Motorhead, David Bowie, etc.) and I get pissed at myself for not having been into the music when the artist was still around or at their peak. Just for once I'd like to be a part of a band's musical journey during their prime.
    I didn't even start getting into Linkin Park until spring of 2008. I only knew them for their hit songs on the radio. Minutes To Midnight was actually the first Linkin Park album I bought, then I got Hybrid Theory for Christmas and bought Meteora just before holiday break ended that year. I spent all of 2009 absolutely obsessed with everything Linkin Park related including demos, remixes, side projects, you name it. If it wasn't for Linkin Park's music, I would've killed myself. I have Asperger's syndrome and I was an suicidal loner who had no friends and hated everyone during High School. I was angry, bitter, and hostile 24/7. I was also a liberal outcast in an ultra-conservative Bush-supporting family. I couldn't find anyone at school with like-minded interests, and I had literally no one to talk to, no one in my family, no counselors at school, I mean literally no one. Linkin Park's music along with others like Korn, Staind, Slipknot, Green Day, Rise Against, etc. was the only comfort I could find during that time. That's also when I almost literally fell in love with Chester both as a musician and as a person, because I was so inspired (both when listening to his lyrics and reading his interviews and stories) by how he went through so much trauma and still managed to fight through it and find peace, and I considered A Thousand Suns to be the story of him putting the final knife into the heart of his demons and becoming a new person. The song Iridescent alone was a gigantic inspiration letting me know that one day I can overcome my lifelong trauma and find sanity.
    I never knew until his interviews a few months ago just how much his demons were still haunting him and realized the ugly truth: the battle against your inner demons is something that never truly ends no matter how much tell yourself it does. His journey will now be known for an incredibly tragic story: he saved the lives of so many people, myself included, but couldn't save himself.

Sorry for the long story about my personal life and Linkin Park obsession, but it's very important to me. In the wake of Chester's passing, I will only love his music even more, so the answer to your question is a definite yes. I may sound a crazed fanboy, but he helped me become the person I am today. I will never forget what he contributed to this world and I can never thank him enough for all the great music he gave me, and sadly I will never have the chance to tell him personally.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    Krizlinkin, brady and Blake like this.
    Dannyc

Dannyc Well-Known Member

I listened to that earlier and that just tore me up