The Legacy of Chester. Did we take him for granted?

Discussion in 'Chester Bennington' started by mmmmtastycookies, Jul 24, 2017.

mmmmtastycookies

mmmmtastycookies Not black & white, only organized confusion

This still feels SO raw, and like a lot of you I've been listening to their catalog not stop since. It got me thinking, has there been a more dynamic front man in Rock since Chester and LP burst onto the scene?

He undoubtedly has one of the most recognizable voices of our generation, and you could argue that there hasn't been a lead singer able to shift styles with such energy and grace as Chester. Does anyone come close? Who would you put in his class from other bands of the era?

Let's keep this to lead singers rooted in Rock/Alternative from year 2000 - current.

RIP Chester

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I've been avoiding LP music almost entirely but I must be in the minority :)

I don't know how to judge whether or not we took Chester for granted as fans and listeners

mmmmtastycookies

I was going to avoid at first but once I started listening to music I felt weird not listening to him sing at least.

I feel I may have taken him for granted. He (was) such a dynamic front man and personality. Just wondering people's thoughts, I guess?

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

I will say that I did personally... I do regret doing so. It seemed like he would always be here. Don't we think that of everyone though? I especially thought he'd be the person to overcome his mental illness and traumatic past but he was still struggling. I feel sorry for what he went through.

Chester is unique in that he had both a demonic and angry voice but could croon very skillfully and naturally. I would say that he was a rock singer with heavy pop influences and tones in his voice. That's how Lp had such incredible cross over success. I don't know that any of his contemporaries has that.

Ree, barush, Blake and 2 others like this.
    mmmmtastycookies

I just really think of the last 20 years, he really was in the upper echelon, if not the very best, of vocal rock performers.

He really was an icon - and I'm not sure (at least in my case) that we were witnessing a legend do his thing this whole time.

Sort of stream of consciousness thread on my part. Just feel like I need to talk about him.

barush and Modern Guitar God like this.
    Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I think we take everyone for granted, Chester included.

We go on with our day to lives and dont realize that it could be the last time we see that person. Sometimes we take lives for granted. We need to treat everyone like it's the last time we will see them and cherish experiences with them.

Top2Bottom

Top2Bottom Well-Known Member

I think there's no doubting you can pencil Chester into the top bracket of modern rock singers.

In terms of being the best, well I don't have anyone ringing bells in my head right now.

His ability to go from such ferocity to soothing melodies, and anywhere in between, is unrivalled for mine.

mmmmtastycookies likes this.
    Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

I never took him, or this band for granted. I soaked up every moment of every album cycle here and was so appreciative that this band had always stuck together while other bands I enjoy struggled to do that.

lordblood

lordblood Radiance of a Thousand Suns

I think Chester will go down as one of the best singers in the early 21st century, and not just in the rock genre. I think in the future, people will look kindly towards Chester for doing the things he was criticized for when he was alive and making music: he showed a great versatility of singing capability to go from singing screaming rock to making beautiful pop songs. He will be known as the man that could sing like and angel and yet scream like a demon. There's plenty of Linkin Park songs that highlight this, but go back and listen to Sometimes by Grey Daze, and you will see that Chester had that natural talent to go from very sweet sounding to hard screaming at his whim.

Did people take him for granted while he was alive? Yeah, we humans do that naturally when people are alive. We expect to stick around forever and act as though we can access them whenever it is convenient for us. I hope his memory helps all of us realize that the people we are with are not permanent, they will all fade as will we. I hope we all take that lesson and remember to try and enjoy every moment we have with our friends and family, and let them know that they are valuable to us.

barush likes this.
    Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

Chester was one of the few artists who could adapt to any style. From the grungy vocals of Grey Daze, the heavy screams of Meteora Era LP, the range displayed with Camp Freddy and Dead By Sunrise, the pop melodies of One More Light, the RNB sounds of She Couldn't and Slow Ya Roll and the rap/trap elements of Heavy and his Sorry For Now verse, Chester adapted so well to everything he did. A true talent and vocalist. The man had such a vibrant energy but as @Sonic said, I never took him for granted. I enjoyed every moment, every interview, etc. And it's been a pleasure to listen to such a band.

barush and mmmmtastycookies like this.
    StrictlyJohnD

StrictlyJohnD Go Texans & Rockets!

This is a tough question to answer. I admit that I always thought that Linkin Park was going to be one of those bands I'd watch at a state fair when I reach my AARP years. Chester's passing seems like a bad dream, but sadly isn't.

I don't think there will be anyone like Chester Bennington. His voice, intensity, energy, and presence are unmatched. He is, was, and always will be Linkin Park.

Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

Maybe people took his life for granted but I think it isn't possible to treat everyone like it's the last time you ever see them, as that involves thinking about death all the time which most people don't, and shouldn't do.

I think the vast majority of fans didn't take his talent for granted though, I always thought he was an incredible singer and was the only one who I would literally spend all the money I had when things were tight to go and see.

Doridorica

Doridorica Well-Known Member

I definitely took him for granted and while "talking" to him yesterday I kept saying how sorry I was for not being able to recognize and help.
    He had always seemed to fall into the cycle of bad behaviours (that we know of) but also always seemed to get out of it stronger than ever before. He was my hero because he had overcome so much and was able to survive. I've always thought their lyrics are about their (his) past problems not present ones. He seemed genuinly happy the last couple of months and I think that's why it shook us so hard- he seemed to have finally found peace with his demons and that he would always be here.

mmmmtastycookies likes this.
    barush

barush Active Member

Lots of people keep saying he seemed happy in the recent months. Even Nikki Sixx tweeted that Chester had just told him how happy he was. I don't want to make assumptions about Chester specifically, but in general, when a depressed person suddenly seems very happy, it's a red flag. Usually, it's because they know they're going to end their life soon and are finally at peace. Not everyone, of course, but it's something to look out for if you know someone who's depressed.

Slash Stradlin

Slash Stradlin Guns N' Roses

Great post

Doridorica

Doridorica Well-Known Member

He did seem happy until Chris killed himself and then there was a European tour and we didn't watch any interviews. It is alarming when a depressed person suddenly becomes happy but I really don't think this was pre-meditated months before (since 2017 started for example).

barush

barush Active Member

I agree. Just wanted to say that in case someone might be going through something similar with a depressed person in their circle.

Blake likes this.
    Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

It definitely wasn't pre-meditated way in advance I feel but it could have had been pre-meditated since Chris' death.

Evan likes this.
    meowth

meowth New Member

I'd just like to say I definitely don't think anyone took him for granted or that you need ''to treat everyone like it's the last time we will see them and cherish experiences with them''. Constantly being afraid of everyone around you dying is a terrible way to live your life. If you do genuinely think one of your friends/family members is suicidal or depressed, please reach out to them and offer help.

I do 100% believe everyone cherished all their experiences with Chester though. Look at everyone talking about how much they loved meeting him, how special they felt when he sang with them at the concert or when he replied to their tweets or anything. Everyone loved and adored him so much and I'm so confident that he knew that.

Hrvman

Hrvman Well-Known Member

I did, I've been telling myself, a few weeks ago, how will Linkin Park perform when they will turn 50, will they continue to sing the same hybrid theory songs from when they were teenagers ?
    I thought that it would never end.

barush likes this.