Linkin Park's Chester Bennington Dead at 41

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Slash Stradlin

Slash Stradlin Guns N' Roses

2. Hybridora

Hybridora Well-Known Member

Bart likes this.
  3. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Doctors or crime scene investigators (whoever determine cause of death) confirmed it was a suicide sadly

Modern Guitar God likes this.
  4. barush

barush Active Member

5. Blake

Thanks for posting this! Fantastic read.

This interesting fact stuck out to me: " I think that they wanted to be more like Incubus or something like that, but once Chester got his voice down on tape it was so undeniable, I was just like, "You guys, people are going to freak out over this. This guy, there's nothing like this."

I love Incubus, even seeing them live in August, but I don't think Linkin Park would have sounded good doing Incubus type music.

6. lpfaneki

lpfaneki i don't know what's worth fighting for

so what?
    If i had a gun in your head and telling you that i would kill you?
    or
    If i would tell you that your kids and wife will be killed if you dont kill yourself.

This is a murder or not?

7. Slash Stradlin

Slash Stradlin Guns N' Roses

[​IMG]

Blake likes this.
  8. Blake

He wasn't murdered.

Modern Guitar God likes this.
  9. CannaKippers

CannaKippers Member

I love it when the Underground does this stuff. I never seem to be at the right stations to see it though. Is it only a specific one? Does anyone know?

10. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Chester committed suicide. It wasn't murder. End of discussion.

Modern Guitar God, @LP2K12 and _cam_ like this.
  11. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

I haven't been posting much here since Chester's death, and I wasn't sure what to inevitably write here.

But going back here, I'm comforted about the reactions of the fanbase and the LPA. There are initiatives to combat both depression and mental health stigma. Longtime inactive/former members have returned to be one with the fans. Fans around the world are giving tributes. There's even the new Chester thread.

We couldn't help Chester, but instead we used our sorrow to help each other. Millions of people around the world united to help those who are in need. And I'm thankful to everyone for that.

Abel, Harlz and _cam_ like this.
  12. Derek

Chester said many times during his career that Linkin Park fans were the best in the world, and the way we've united together since this tragedy only proves it. LP fans are incredible.

13. @LP2K12

@LP2K12 Est. 2K12

I needed to take some time to process Chester's passing. I didn't want to rush into a response that ended up lacking emotion and feeling like it was just written to exist.

Like so many of you, I grew up with Chester and the rest of Linkin Park. When Hybrid Theory debuted I was 14 years old and in middle school. At that time I was a train going off the tracks and rushing headfirst into a brick wall when it came to depression and suicidal tendencies. My mom and dad were together, but my dad was pretty much absent so my mom was raising five kids and acting as the mother and father.

By then I'd been bullied and harassed since elementary school because unlike most boys, instead of participating in sports, I only cared about music. Instead of football or baseball I chose the school chorus. This made me feel like an outcast and both home and school. Up until Hybrid Theory dropped I never really listened to anything other than pop music. My favorite group at the time was the Backstreet Boys. No lie.

I started dating this girl and she introduced me to the album. She was super cool, as were her parents and we spent a ton of time together. Her dad caught on to my home life and pretty much took me under his wing. He's responsible for taking me to my first Linkin Park show and me getting to meet them the first time.

I remember seeing them on stage for the first time and being floored by the entire band, but especially Chester's presence. When he belted out those lyrics it was like somebody finally understood what had been going through the darkness of my brain. It felt like I had a friend.

That day we stood in line for two hours in 100 degree, Florida temps to meet the band. Chester overheard me telling Mike that I'd never been to a rock concert and this was my first. After taking a group picture with the band he stood up, pulled me to the side and thanked me for coming. He also told me that they hope I stuck around and kept coming to shows.

Fast forward a bit and the second time I met him was at Projekt Revolution. During the meet & greet I gave Chester an 8 song demo CD from my band. We talked about the first time I met them and how he'd influenced me to expand beyond just pop music. I told him I knew that he was busy, but I'd appreciate if he could listen to the CD and provide me with insight as to what we were doing well and what could be improved. The CD had a note attached with my home address and e-mail info.

A year went by and being a normal high school kid I didn't think anything of it. One day my mom told me I had a package waiting. I got home and it was one of those plain, yellow bubble wrap envelopes. No return address, but mine was handwritten in. Inside was my bands demo CD. Signed by the entire Linkin Park crew and a note, handwritten and signed by Chester. He said that he was impressed with what we did as a bunch of kids in a studio. He also stated that the last song was the best track and we should focus on being consistently cohesive as a band like on that track.

The final time I met him before I could say a word he perked up and was like, "Hey man! I hope you got my notes on your CD! This is like what the third time you've come to a meet & greet. Thanks Jay!"

Here I was in front of my idol. A star by all means and he remembered how many times we'd met, my CD, his note and even my name.

I felt heard. I felt like I existed.

Through the years I've struggled with darkness. Recently before the release of OML I finally confided in my wife that I'd planned out my suicide. The how, the when and the where. I explained my mindset and explained my past attempts. During our conversation she brought up that she could tell when I'm in a dark place because of the music I listen to in those moments.

Except, it's the opposite. It dawned on me that anytime I was on the edge. At the brink of destruction. I would turn on a Linkin Park song. I would belt it out. I'd cry. Or, I'd drive around town singing along with the band and the singer who made me feel like I existed.

That's what Chester is to me. That's what this band is to me. I'll never be able to repay them for that.

That being said, I want to finish by saying how much I love this place. I've been on LPA since high school. I trolled the fan base with a fake @LP2K12 account and made tons of friends. This place feels like family at times and that's what we all need right now. So thank you. All of you.

Also, I wrote a piece for my blog that's less emotional and more matter-of-fact if anyone is interested: http://www.inkedupdad.com/2017/07/26/suicide-losing-voice-generation/

- Jay

Abel, _cam_, dontFindOutMe and 15 others like this.
  14. BrandonR24

BrandonR24 Well-Known Member

That was a great story! Awesome that they reached out to you, shows he and the rest of the band truly cared.

@LP2K12 likes this.
  15. darkviruz

darkviruz Well-Known Member

Chester was such a nice, inspiring person … always there for his fans.
    Since he is no longer there i feel so empty.
    It is not just the unique voice that made him a legend.
    This voice can not be replaced. Very sad that he is no longer there
    Since “One step closer” I follow LP & Chester. I do not know any other band or singers with whom I could say that I like all the songs.
    Thank you Chester for many funny, inspiring, wonderful moments.
    CHESTER & LP forever.

16. Blake

Thank you for sharing your story! Wonderful read :)

@LP2K12 likes this.
  17. Dannyc

Dannyc Well-Known Member

I kinda find it amazing how the fan base was so divided because of the bands changing sound all the time cursing each other out and saying mean things to one another, and it takes something as a unfortunate tragedy like what happened to Chester for EVERY fan to come together and unite as one. As we do not know the future of the band. I don't think we will ever be divided again.

18. Derek

Definitely feeling like the 'lie down, try not to cry, cry a lot' meme right now reading this. This is one of the best showcases of Chester's heart that I've read on here yet. Chester was one of a kind and NEVER let his fame, status or fortune impact how he interacted with his fans. In fact I'd argue his fame only made him appreciate his fans more and get closer over the years. He's such a great guy.

19. Creep

Creep Well-Known Member

Written so eloquently ^

I haven't posted on these forums in years now. This tragedy has brought me back though. I hope everyone's doing alright. This has me pretty shattered. I've been listening to absolutely everything Chester and LP related since. LP have been with me ever since I first heard One Step Closer 17 years ago. They were the first band I ever got into and have stuck around like a very welcome sore thumb ever since, and they will always be dear to me.

@LP2K12 likes this.
  20. Foreshadowed_LP

Foreshadowed_LP Well-Known Member

@LP2K12 Thanks for sharing that wonderful story, it made me smile a lot and it shows how sincere, caring and kind Chester truly was to his fans and that he really did appreciate every single one of us.

My moods and emotions have been changing a lot the past 24 hours; sometimes I'm happy remembering all the good memories Chester brought me with his vocals and lyrics, then the next I feel so low and unmotivated and just sad remembering he's actually gone and I just don't feel like doing anything and my mind just ticks away, thinking about the large hole he's left now that he's gone. Then I'm pumped up listening to some of the LP songs and just having a blast. However, I did have a nice moment this morning with my sister after she showed me the 'Chester cloud' photo, she was showing me these short, funny videos of Chester when he was dancing in the street, a video of him speaking like an artist surrounded by fruit and flowers and one video where he spoke in a British accent. It made me laugh and smile and remember what a hilarious guy he really was, you just knew he was such a laugh to be around.

I miss him so much.

Doridorica, @LP2K12 and Blake like this.