For those of us that didn't like OML, has Chesters death impacted your opinion

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Disturbedthoughts, Jul 27, 2017.

Disturbedthoughts

Disturbedthoughts *Twitch*

Eloquent title, I know, but basically what it says on the tin. Its been my experience that context can really change how we view the media we consume; and, suffice it to say the context of OML has changed pretty dramatically since its release.

What spurs this on is that I play my pandora over the radio for the guys at work and while I have been able to listen to any other song by Linkin Park, i have been immediately irritated by any songs off of OML. Prior i simply found the album to have a couple songs i thought were okay and otherwise just be dull. Even the couple of songs i enjoyed i have found irritating to listen to over the last couple of days.

The only thing i can figure is that while i had made my peace with simply not enjoying OML, i was not ready to make peace with not enjoying the last album with Chester. He was a big part of why i liked the band and to not like the last album he made, and was by all visible accounts intensely proud of, it has been severely damaging my opinion of the album on a whole. Its not fair but emotions seldom are.

Maybe its just me, i don't know. But i am curious to know if anyone has experienced something similiar or even maybe the opposite. Maybe you really enjoy the album now and you didn't prior.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

If it wasn't considered already, I think One More Light just became one of Linkin Park's most important albums, regardless of opinion on the quality. Whether it was intentional or not, the album contains the final words of a rock legend who defined a generation.

That said, I'm adamantly against listening to Nobody Can Save Me right now. I've listened to almost everything else, but not that one.

Halfway Dwight likes this.
    kcg

kcg Well-Known Member

Listening to One More Light is a very haunting experience now. I absolutely hated the album when it came out two months ago because of how poppy it is, but less than a week after Chester Bennington's suicide, it's much more interesting from a psychological perspective and the lyrics have a much darker meaning now. Hybrid Theory, Meteora, and Minutes To Midnight was Chester fighting his demons with every ounce of energy he had and desperately searching for a way out of his personal hell; One More Light was him surrendering and coming to terms with the fact his demons couldn't be overcome. This album was like a swan song for him in a way. Haunting stuff.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Did everyone who trashed Living Things do a 180 on that album in light of the event? I'll Be Gone sure just as prophetic as anything on OML did.

I've been seeing a lot of this what appears to be grief-based appreciation for the album in the past week, and if that's really how it affected you than that's your own experience. But from where I'm standing, the subject matter and the mans lyrical delivery really aren't that much different from Breaking the Habit or Leave Out All the Rest.

And I don't want this to come off poorly, but going back to something I said months ago about criticism of the album being taken much more personally than previous records, a lot of this (not necessarily here, but still) seems like almost trying to guilt trip people into coming around on the album as this momentous occasion they were just too immature to appreciate at first. Something that, even if not done deliberately, is kind of lame to do on people still reeling from the mans passing.

Hans Muster likes this.
    TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

I think you are completely wrong. Like, absolutely wrong. I haven't seen one instance of "guilt tripping" here or anywhere else. If anything, it looks like you're just trying to be controversial for the sake of being controversial in a time where an attitude like that isn't really needed to be honest.

Captain-EO, Iopia, brady and 2 others like this.
    Stu

Stu Can't be outmatched or outdone

I personally liked the album since it's release. I feel it's a really positive album and probably their most positive to date. Isn't their best album but that's what i think. To me, OML is mainly about getting through life events and knowing you can get through to the other side (BS or NCSM or SE are good examples of that i'd say). Has the meaning of that been elevated to a new level now? Sure but I wouldn't look too much into interpreting the lyrics differently or even feel guilty if you personally don't like the album. We all have different tastes and I wouldn't worry at all about it. Although I understand it is still hard for everyone and we are all here if anyone needs people to talk too.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

No it doesnt.

I mean, the lyrics are really haunting, but it doesnt change the fact, that i didnt like the general sound on OML. Which is as important for me as lyrics.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I haven't seen any instances of anyone guilting others for not "appreciating" the album (HERE OR ANYWHERE ELSE), but I have seen people feeling regret over negative things they said about it when it was first released because they believe that they contributed to Chester's issues ... which makes me sad because no fan should blame themselves for this.

blackout.

blackout. Well-Known Member

It was one of my favourite album of them since a release so nothing has changed. For me, maybe only "Living Things" is better. I immediately understood the message from the band since "One More Light" had a premiere.

Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

OML was one of my favourite LP albums the whole time, even more so now. I understand some others didn't feel the same, which is fine.

I haven't seen any guilt tripping, and no fan should feel an obligation to like something just because a band they support has released it. Music is subjective, and the band are mature enough to realise it wouldn't be popular with everyone.

I do hope though that those that actively gave the band abuse about it, calling them sell outs and worse do realise that it is important to treat everyone with respect and not say things to someone that you might never get the chance to take back. People say far too many hurtful things, especially on social media, without thinking about what they're saying.

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

No one has been making anyone feel guilty about their negative reaction towards the album. Don't know why you're thinking that unless you still are frustrated that people don't get why you dislike the album.

Blackee Dammet

I believe you if you say you hadn't seen such a thing happen anywhere, but I like how you immediately took it to "Quit lying for attention we're being serious here!".

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    Doridorica

Doridorica Well-Known Member

The only thing that has changed for me is that now I can listen to OML song because it helps me deal with what happened. I thought it was boring before and skipped it. Yes, some lyrics are haunting now but it doesn't change what I thought of the album: it was a grower for me but eventually it became one I enjoy listening to. I've been listening to it a lot for the past fee days because it soothes me but I still don't think it's one of their best works.

TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

Repeatedly quoting yourself in attempt to make me look stupid and that I missed your point is such a weak way to argue. Ironically, you appear to have missed the part where I said "here or anywhere else".

I'm sure you're gonna come back with something else witty but my friend I am not here to argue so I'm just gonna end this here

Iopia likes this.
    Blackee Dammet

I mean, again, I acknowledge it's possible that you personally had never seen the sentiment anywhere (a clear understanding of "that point I missed") and then proceed to ask why you thought I would merely lie about it, but ok.

I find it hard to believe everyone have jumped into the Chester tribute sentiments and haven't once seen such an attitude circulating. But I believe you when you say you don't. Now let's just pretend, make a real reach, and just imagine a world where I'm not just making up fantastic lies for attention and making the mans death about myself. In that world I find that attitude a bit much, especially when a lot of the sentiment behind it is based on an idea that makes no sense, given the subject matter was written by a different individual.

Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

I do listen to it differently now. One of the most off putting things on OML for me were the instrumentals, but after this I've started paying closer attention to the lyrics and they just sound more haunting now. It still won't be near my favorite LP album, but I do appreciate it more now. Even though that might be a bit strange.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Just because Chester passed shouldn't make One More Light better or worse than before. The same could be said for their entire discography now: Nothing is better or worse, but a lot of tracks take on new meaning and some are way more emotional than ever before.

brady and Doridorica like this.
    Spiderguy252

Spiderguy252 Awaiting LP in India

I couldn't listen to any of the songs for the first couple of days, but now I'm back on and have listened to OML as well.

I liked the album from the time it came out, and still dig my favourite songs - Talking to Myself, Halfway Right and Sharp Edges. Though I have to say some of the others are growing on me as well.

Memory123

Memory123 Member

Eventhough I've only seen one comment so far where someone was shaming fans that didn't like OML I still feel guilty.
    I wasn't vocal about it but I didn't really bother to look deeper into the songs & I didn't give them a real chance to sink in.
    The only song I liked from the beginning was "good goodbye".
    I literally thought they sold out cause they had hired other people to write the lyrics.
    I found it boring, uninspiring, generic and I hated especially "heavy" with all my heart not even knowing it's about Chesters depression. Now I know why he got so defensive & I do believe this has contributed to his suicide. He felt like noone understood him. I mean how would you feel if you poured your heart & soul out and not even your fans get it...
    I still haven't really listened to everything. I'm honestly a little bit scared to cause everyone keeps saying it sounds like his suicide note. I'm sure I had taken a look on the album later on and ended up falling in love with it just like ATS.
    Never in a million years had I thought that this would be their last album & I don't know how I can overcome this fact. I was still very excited for their future and for the Gray Daze reunion and I wanted to finally see them live but now it's too late...

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

So I'm only going to say this once. Before things get out of hand, stop the personal antagonistic attacks in this thread or you guys are going to force my hand to issue out warnings. It ends now. Thanks for playing.