Anyone else feel like everyone just 'forgot' New Divide existed?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Blackee Dammet, Jul 28, 2017.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

That song was a monster when it hit and, as far as I remember, was as big of a hit as I had ever seen them pull off. I think statistically speaking it was either one of the top three or four -if not the- biggest hit they've ever had. I hardly ever see anyone talk about it anymore especially since Chesters death. It seems off to me how such a massive song seems to have slipped everyones mind.

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

It's still a live staple iirc. It gets overshadowed by ITE, Numb, BTH, Crawling, WID, etc. All the really big commercial hits from their studio albums.

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

It's more famous among my generation when it hit big during elementary/high school years. People who grew up during the nu metal years largely either ditched the band/nu metal in general or have stopped listening to the radio. There are people who are unaware of big songs right now just because they ditch the radio.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Yes, even as a hardcore Linkin Park fan I forget the songs exists all the time. In fact, I remember Not Alone more than I do New Divide for some reason.

I think it's easy to forget one off singles that aren't album songs, even if it is a huge hit. The only time I remember I exists is when I see their setlists.

It probably doesn't help that while I enjoy the song, I think it's one of their weaker songs. So add that on top to the fact that it's not a studio song and I just forget about it.

So I won't be surprised if the casual audience forgot about it.

StrictlyJohnD

StrictlyJohnD Go Texans & Rockets!

"New Divide" was one of my least favorite LP songs. I don't know why, but I always found myself skipping it. With Chester no longer a part of this world, I'm appreciating it a little.

Mysticliz

Mysticliz Well-Known Member

I agree even I had forgotten it although it was playing earlier on my Spotify.. .

Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

Admittedly, I forgot the song existed. Probably has to do that it never made a record so, it's more of a B-list LP song, despite its massive success. I use to love it in 2009, but it's relatively faded into obscurity for me.

It's not a bad song by any means, but when ya look at the dozens of Chester-driven anthem tracks like WID, UIG, BID, IMR, BS, etc., it doesn't stand out much anymore.

Sasuke likes this.
    Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

New Divide is a banger. FUIUD. Perfect song for their transition in sound between Minutes to Midnight & A Thousand Suns.

Gravity_LP and Jack_Farrell like this.
    Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

You overestimate the success of New Divide. It's certainly not their most successful single. If you take chart positions and sales from countries all over the world into consideration, it would rank at about #5. But the difference to other singles is that it was only available as a single but not as part of an album which is why non-album-singles tend to do better in charts then regular album singles like Numb or In the End.
    But I kinda agree that it got forgotten somehow. If you look at the charts, tons of LP songs re-enter them but New Divide doesn't. So why isn't it popular anymore? I think the reason is, it's neither one from the "classic era" nor a recent one.

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

I've always felt UIG was a wannabe New Divide, and that New Divide stands up there with WID as a great Chester anthem. Instrumentally the bridge is always great to me, and the melodies are fantastic.

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

It's one of those songs where Chester could really shine live

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I still hear it regularly on the radio by me...

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I think the reason why is pretty clear.

As you said it's a one off single. Because of that and tit not being on an album, overtime people forget about it unless it's one of their favorites. Most LP fans don't put New Divide in their favorites.

I used to forget it all the time but I doubt I will anymore because I just recently bought it in Rock Band

One More Rob

One More Rob Well-Known Member

I think the fact that it is not really on an album doesn't help.Like it was just put on an non album single and regardless of artist, regardless of how big they get to get overlooked.

LP Soldier 01

LP Soldier 01 True LP Soldier

I feel like many people forget about New Divide, even though it has quite a lot of views on Youtube because it was made only for Transformers and should have been released in Minutes To MIdnight as well. That way LP would have sold even more records in 2007 because that song would be a great single, not the lead single but probably the second one.

Amanda

Amanda RIP Chester LPA Super VIP

While I like New Divide I always kind of felt like it was a rip of What I've Done. Never really was a song I'd just LISTEN to on purpose but I wouldn't turn it off if it came on either. :shrug:

Blake likes this.
    LP Soldier 01

LP Soldier 01 True LP Soldier

Maybe listening only once in a while to that song only happens because it was a Transformers movie song and not a single from MTM.

AmbienTisCool

AmbienTisCool Curry

ye lol I forget too. mostly cuz its not an album