Starset

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Hybrid, Oct 28, 2016.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Hey guys. Any other Starset fans out there? They are on the cusp of releasing their follow up to 2014's epic Transmissions album. Their new single Monster was just released on Sirius Octane/Youtube today. Check it out:

Do you guys think it still fits into the Prox story? What do you think of the band/song? Let's discuss...

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

I have only listened to the song once and thought it was just ok, but I'm gonna hold out on judgement until the whole album comes out. I really enjoyed finding the first album and listening to it as one whole piece, so I think I'm going to try to stay away from singles this album so I can have the same experience (here's hoping their album is as cohesive and fun to listen to in order as the first).

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

The wait was worth it. This album is just like Meteora, in that they took their same sound and showed that it deserved to inhabit another album. Right now, Frequency is a big highlight for me. Really happy with how much variety there is!

Evan and Dragondust like this.
    Dragondust

Dragondust Lingering distortion LPA VIP

I agree...it's really good...Starlight is the best on the album for me!

Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

Hey guys! THIS ALBUM IS FUCKING FANTASTIC. lots of incredible sounds, amazing choruses, fuck! i love the swelling bass there too. i've never knew this band before they sound great. they diserve alot more credit.
    My favorite songs are: 'Satellite', 'Frequency', 'Ricochet' (that bridge is KILLER 'they don't know my heart :headbang:), 'Back to the Earth', 'Monster' and 'Everglow'
    only 'Telepathic' sounds like a generic Pop song to me. but, maybe it will be growing on me :)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    Dragondust likes this.
    UNiPersona

UNiPersona previously known as STARKINATOR

VESSELS IS SOMETHING ELSE
    STARLIGHT IS SOMETHING ELSE
    UGHHHHHHHHHHH

Sasuke likes this.
    Hybrid

Wow! It's awesome to see you guys (finally) commenting on here! Hahah! Yeah. I love the album! I saw them in concert on the 21st and it was fantastic.

Sasuke likes this.
    Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

That album is FUCKING MIND BLOWING. Ricochet & Back to the Earth are some of the best songs i heard in my life :)

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

They're not bad, just not my favorite by any means. They feel like a cross between Innerpartysystem and Breaking Benjamin.

Hybrid

I just love how the band has a narrative with canonical lore.

UNiPersona

UNiPersona previously known as STARKINATOR

First found them in my friend's playlist. Liked Transmissions and since kept an eye on the guys. Wasn't disappointed.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Reminds me of InnerPartySystem.

Hybrid

Got to do another VIP with them and got a photo with the band before the concert on the 21st. They are all such good dudes. The inclusion of live strings this time around makes for an even more incredible experience. Also, the drum cube is visually fantastic.

Attached Files:

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

After some time with the new album, I have to say my main complaint is that it feels a little bit long. There's not a bad song, but they're not quite different enough to justify the long runtime. I wish they had trimmed things up and combined some song ideas, just to make things a little bit tighter. Kind of feels like they were too in love with all the tracks they had written and didn't get serious about cutting down. Could have used the MTM treatment in other words. But other than that sentiment, I'm still digging the songs. Bringing it down is a late bloomer for me and I'm really enjoying it now.

Sasuke likes this.
    Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Saw them live tonight in Toronto. Fantastic show. I had no idea what I was walking into, so when they came on stage with space suits and LED lights and futuristic displays it was pretty wild.

Blake likes this.
    BreakingTheHeartbeat

BreakingTheHeartbeat Ten thousand promises, ten thousand ways to lose

I am very happy to find other fans of Starset here!!! :wave:

I follow them since the release of their first album. I totaly love the new album, I think my favorite track is "Unbecoming".

Sasuke likes this.
    Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I'm a little late to this thread but I really dig this band.

I actually solely checked out this band because of @Hybrid himself and all his posts about them and that's something I often won't do unless I'm really feeling it at the time and I'm so glad I listened to them! Really good band. Vessels is a good album and I'm excited for more :)

My favorite songs off of it are: Die For You and Bringing It Down!

Hybrid and Sasuke like this.
    Hybrid

Happy you checked them out, @Blake

Blake likes this.
    Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Been loving this band for a while now - the fact their entire discography is meant to be a single story is pretty ambitious.

My only problem with them is they use so many interludes, but instead of separating them like in A Thousand Suns, they just throw them onto the end of each track. This makes them very monotonous to listen to when shuffled into a daily playlist. They're great albums, but each song on their own is usually a little much to handle.

For example, Everglow is fucking magical, however I don't want to listen to the 2 minute cinematic exposition at the end of the track every single goddamn time. It could have easily been split into a 4 minute track and a 3 minute outro rather than a single 7 minute monster.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I'm going to have to disagree with this one. Interludes tacked on to songs are 99% of time better than interludes as separate tracks.

Interludes as stand alone tracks to me feel like wasted space. In ATS, there are 15 trakcs but only 9 songs and that's a sham.