The guys need a new singer

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Chris loves LP, Sep 29, 2017.

?

Should they find a new singer?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No. They should continue as a 5-piece

54 vote(s)
    67.5%
  3. No matter what they do, they are done

6 vote(s)
    7.5%
    Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

I can't imagine Hayley Williams blending in at all well with LP tbh, she certainly couldn't sing the hits which is a major factor in the band possibly hiring a new singer.

If the band went down the female vocalist route, I'd be more interested to see someone like Lzzy Hale or Alissa White-Gluz given a shot. Don't think it's likely though.

Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

A female vocalist would be interesting. It would certainly create a new dynamic, and I don't feel right saying it, but breathe new life into the band? I don't want to word it as if Chester was just an era of the band and not the heart of it, but I guess it's because I want to see the band pick up the pieces and live on if not for the fans and themselves, then for him. I wouldn't even know what to do in their position. The band would know more than anyone else what he would want, so whatever decision they make I'll support.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

To be honest, if they brought in a female vocalist that could scream and sing, I would be completely on board for it. It would also completely differentiate from Chester.

Modern Guitar God and Kevin like this.
    Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

Same here.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Am I crazy for thinking someone similar to Lzzy Hale? I know not everyone likes Halestorm, but she has a powerhouse of a voice and can very easily switch between belting, singing and screaming.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

If they're going to add someone, I would hope it's someone reliable. I wouldn't want a revolving door of co-leads. That's why I voted no, to stick as a 5-piece, but I'm not opposed to guest spots like they've been doing.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    Modern Guitar God likes this.
    Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Not saying any point you're making is wrong, but I just want to recontextualize your argument to someone else we could've said this about.

I really like Dave Grohl's voice, but in all honesty, I think it's impossible for him to take the lead in every song. Yes, he had a FEW songs on his own, but we are talking about the whole setlist, he CAN NOT sing, play guitar, and drum at the same time. Be realistic, because I feel the most of you just aren't. Also, his vocal range is VERY limited, and I think only hardcore fans would attend those shows so they wouldn't be able to fill up arenas. They need someone with energy as I feel without Kurt Cobain, who was not only jumping around but who was at the same time singing forcefully with such an emotion it blew me away, their show would just be plain and energy lacking. I mean, Dave Grohl can sing Marigold very well, but the whole concert with only those calm songs, thanks but no thanks. Oh yeah, but for instance that live version of Marigold just ruined the whole song for me, so I think it's very questionable if he could pull off all of the songs live he sang very well in the studio.

TL;DR your argument would be a very good argument in 1996 of someone complaining that they shouldn't have a band where Dave Grohl is singing instead of Kurt Cobain.

Chris loves LP

Chris loves LP Well-Known Member

And indeed, Foo Fighters is mere mediocrity compared to Nirvana :shifty:

Forfeit to Break

Fred Durst isn't doing much these days.:halfkappa:

LP Soldier 01

LP Soldier 01 True LP Soldier

It's true that Hayley can't scream, but also Alissa White Gluz doesn't make that many clean vocals, only for a short time in 2 songs on the new Arch Enemy album and Lzzy Hale is powerful, but not that versatile. I think that one of the most versatile female singers nowadays is Floor Jansen or even Sharon Den Adel to a smaller extent. Maria Brink would also be interesting.
    I don't like neither Dave Grohl's nor Kurt Cobain's voice that much and mostly I don't like older bands, so in terms of male vocalists the choice would be more difficult. A metalcore singer would probably work as they can both scream and sing, so good options I know of would be Oliver Sykes or Jon Mess from Dance Gavin Dance, but in terms of metalcore I don't know much and still have to listen to more of it.
    I think I'll be happy and respect anything they decide to do, but the most difficult thing for them at this point will be to keep appealing to casual listeners after Chester's passing.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Having a female singer is something I can't be on board with. I don't particularly like bands with female singers (unless your Fleetwood Mac or something) and I can't see them gelling with LP in at all.

Forfeit to Break

Not sure it's quite the same scenario tbf. If Dave had taken over from Kurt and Nirvana had continued it would have been more comparable, but he went and started his own band instead. This gave him the space to be himself and perform his own songs rather then trying to continue Nirvana's legacy.

Mike bringing the other guys into Fort Minor and continuing as a band under that name would be more similar to what Grohl did with Foo Fighters imo.

Nicholas and Blackee Dammet like this.
    Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

In your theoretical, though, Dave goes and starts a new band. He doesn't take over Nirvana. That makes a difference, since a more appropriate scenario would be Grohl replacing a deceased Kurt in the same band where he without a doubt would be held up to higher scrutiny than he would with starting a new project.

A Mike-only Linkin Park will certainly be held up to different standards than a completely new band where he's singing because he's under that same, pre-established, and very publicly known name.

edit lol and now the board is showing me dude right above made the exact same point hours before I did. It had shown Agent as the last poster when I was typing. Anyway yeah, co-signing dudes argument.

Duragon

Duragon Well-Known Member

Thoughts about bringing back Mark Wakefield?

Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

No. That would be the last option we will get if the band can't able to find a new singer. Maybe they will announce for audition when they're ready in the future.

LP Soldier 01

The best would be doing an audition because picking a singer without testing many possibilities can be a mistake, even though many of the names cited on this thread are great artists.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

You know how many fans would line up to audition?

LP Soldier 01

Many, many fans and most of those wouldn't even know how to sing, but there needn't be a public announcement and they could do it only with the artists they wanted to test.

chris2

chris2 Smiling At Strangers On Trains LPA Super Member

Dennis from Affiance is really good! They sadly disbanded, but his vocals are too good to just vanish from the scene imo. He can scream, too, which means he could do their older songs as well.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

He's just ok. All of those metalcore (genre?) bands that do 'hardcore' Linkin Park covers are all interchangeable to me. He's good, I certainly couldn't do it, but I've heard dozens of guys on YouTube who can.