The guys need a new singer

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Chris loves LP, Sep 29, 2017.

?

Should they find a new singer?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No. They should continue as a 5-piece

54 vote(s)
    67.5%
  3. No matter what they do, they are done

6 vote(s)
    7.5%
  1. Dannyc

Dannyc Well-Known Member

I mean I like the first half of MTM, some songs off LT and of course THP. So its not like i completely hate everything after meteora cause that would be a false statement.

2. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

But your “of course THP” comment sort of proves my point that you’re biased against anything that isn’t very heavy. The fact you listed nothing from ATS also proves my point.

Linkin Park made those two albums (OML and ATS) to challenge fans like you. To encourage you to look past your preconceived notions of pop/genres other than rock, and appreciate sounds that may be different than what you traditionally listen to. The whole idea of Linkin Park is and always has been to blur the lines between genres and to not just be one thing. That’s why it’s incorrect to say screaming is a part of the band, as much as it’s incorrect to say pop is a part of the band. Because there’s no “parts” or required ingredients that must appear on every LP record. There are no rules to Linkin Park music.

Linkin Park have pretty much proven their genre is: whatever the fuck they want with no rules. If they wanted to have Chester singing polka songs the entire record, that would’ve still been every bit as Linkin Park as hybrid theory.

LP Soldier 01, Hybrid and Sasuke like this.
  3. Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

I have friends at work talking about Linkin Park and the only songs that they know are songs from HT, Meteora, and the Transformers 2 song, New Divide. That's it. They keep saying, In the End, Numb, Somewhere I Belong are the best Linkin Park songs. I was like, "Okay.."

LP are remembered by their classic, old school sound. I never heard someone like Burn it Down or Castle of Glass, Final Masquerade or Heavy or One More Light.

4. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

I laugh when people say A Thousand Suns isn't heavy at all.

Knt.Slbs likes this.
  5. Knt.Slbs

Some even say, "It's their worst album". Because it's not Hybrid Theory or Meteora doesn't mean it's bad. ATS is their best album.

6. Derek

Exactly, heaviness doesn't have to just be relative to the distortion of the guitars or levels of screaming included. In terms of the atmosphere, depth and meaning of the lyrics...ATS has much more 'weight' than Hybrid Theory.

Sasuke, LP Soldier 01 and Hybrid like this.
  7. Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

This is quite true. If Nu-Metal is your jam, there are still bands out there making that Nu-Metal sound... Take From Ashes To New, for example... Although, while writing their sophomore album, they had irreconcilable differences in direction and had a couple of members, including their singer fall off. I do know that since they got a new singer. Maybe they'll keep that Nu-Metal sound? If not, their debut album, Day One, is proof that there are still bands killing it with that Nu-Metal sounds.

8. Knt.Slbs

If other bands can do it, then why not LINKIN PARK? Remember Reanimation? You can go big with your signature sound without falling back to nu-metal sound.
    It's like Linkin Park forgot their essential fundamentals and swallow what Rubin said to them. We got Rubin helmed for 3 albums; MTM, ATS and LT but we got only 2 with Gilmore?

Gilmore needs to come back and make LINKIN PARK big again.

9. zazofazo

zazofazo Well-Known Member

Warning : Long rant

I have always said that HT and Meteora are a cursed gift. They wouldn't have become arguably the biggest selling band of 21st century without those two albums and they wouldn't even be nearly as big but at the same time the same albums generated some of the most obnoxious and closed minded fans I have ever seen in any fandom and ignorant haters as well. At one side of the coin, you have those whiny rude people that insult the band personally and take it as chance to question their integrity and at the other side you have these ignorant haters who dismiss them as another "rap-rock band " with some powerchords and completely ignore that they have moved past that 10 years ago. Honestly, they have made my fan experience worse and at times made me more depressed. You can say " why should you care ?" well because I have bipolar disorder so anything overly negative can affect my mood and because it was freaking everywhere from LP fansites(to much lesser degree) to LP social media. There was literally no escape from these comments. I think I have seen atleast 20 comments telling Chester to kill himself and that he had no balls. I have no respect and don't feel sorry for these assholes, they literally ruined my fan experience when Chester was alive and I don't care If any of you calling me " sensitive " because I already know that and I'm depressed too so don't judge.
    These nu metal whiny fans should have been respectful enough to atleast not take it personally but no they proved that they are pieces of garbage and now they are trashing the band for moving on. Screw them. The fact of the matter, LP has the right to do anything without being judged by ignorant " critics " and " fans ". Their negativity may not be a reason but it definitely didn't help Chester's case and I'm not saying " you should like everything the band puts out " but atleast be respectful to not question their intentions and integrity because then you will become a complete jerk (sorry not sorry). The only fans that deserve credit are the respectful and understanding fans not the obnoxious whiny fans who spread negative thoughts at every chance they get. We don't need more negativity and I know that some of the HT fans are legitimately good people but I'm talking about a particular and obvious groups who are some of the worst "fans" I have ever seen.

10. Knt.Slbs

^^ The thing is that these "fans" are pissed because of the sudden change of genre from Meteora to MTM. I think fans were not ready of the sudden shift because of the anticipation we had with QWERTY at that time and "fans" assumed that was the third album's direction. If the band released an album between Meteora and MTM then I dont think the band would received this much of criticism. Just saying. It's like we don't have a proper in between album to bridge from Meteora to MTM so fans can understand the change going to MTM.

11. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

You might as well be demanding hair metal of Reel Big Fish-style ska punk to "make a comeback". That sound was already dying by the time Linkin Park were doing it 20 years ago.

I think the bands age is something a lot of you seem to forget. If they actually came out and tried doing a style of music nearly two decades out of date, they'd be slammed. Even by the fans that say they're demanding it so much.

You didn't love those albums so much you want 5 more of them, you enjoyed being 20 years younger like when they came out.

12. Hybrid

"I am not the fortune and the fame nor the same person telling you to forfeit the game, I came in the ring like a dog on a chain and I found out the underbelly's sicker than it seems. And it seems ugly, but it can get worse cause even the blueprint is a gift and a curse. Cause once you got a theory of how the thing works, everybody wants the next thing to be just like the first."

Sasuke, KonKeR-182 and zazofazo like this.
  13. zazofazo

zazofazo Well-Known Member

Exactly. I purposely avoided using puns to not discredit my rant but you get it.​

14. Hybrid

Your rant is purposely validated. Even though it's been denied, I still believe that those lines were written for whiney Nu-Metal fanboys.

Sasuke, LP Soldier 01 and zazofazo like this.
  15. insanefanboy

insanefanboy RIP Chester Bennington

I actually agree with your post and want to say Dannyc I know you say you didn't like ATS and I encourage you to listen to it again, now 7 (nearly 8!!!) years later, with older or more mature/wiser ears. You may be surprised. I was when I decided to do that with OML, I listened to it on the day of release and hated it and brushed it off, I'm ashamed to say, then I decided to listen to it properly, in a non biased, non fanboy way and much to my surprise it was 1000x times better and deeper lyrically etc. than I initially thought, and realized, that I had been letting my disappointment that it wasn't THP style talk, instead of judging it as a OML type album. Also I was confused at first as Mike basically decried that everything was pop/the state of rock during THP promotion, which I agreed with, so that also got in they way at first, that interview here helped though. Mike was right I think he once said "if we like it's Linkin Park".

Does that make it perfect? No of course not. ATS I used to say was the album MTM should've been, I now say ATS is the album I WANTED it to be. I still don't like certain things about MTM & we all know what the are, so I'm not gonna re-hash them, and yeah I prefer ATS because of that, but that doesn't MTM is a bad album. That doesn't mean I won't listen to it ever again. That doesn't mean it's not LP.

EDIT: I used to be a raging fanboy who thought he knew best, and while I'm not accusing you, I beg you: don't let yourself become one, it's bad.

LP Soldier 01 and Hybrid like this.
  16. Derek

For those who think the band shouldn't turn their back on their "roots": Has anyone ever stopped to think that maybe the entire reason Linkin Park abandoned their nu-metal sound is they got tired of no longer being original like they once were? Think about it. Imagine coming out with a sound you thought was uniquely Linkin Park, and then waking up one day and finding that dozens of bands on the radio were now copying your sound, and you no longer sounded different than what was playing at that time.

That's the issue the band was facing when it came time to make MTM. Not only were bands shamelessly copying their sound, but the band could also make HT/Meteora sounding songs in a matter of minutes (as proven by the 'nu-metal' rehearsal version of Heavy earlier this year). They just weren't challenged enough and had grown bored. Fans should be thankful we got 7 albums, instead of the band having 'creative differences' because they got tired of nu-metal and disbanding after two albums. Seriously.

17. insanefanboy

insanefanboy RIP Chester Bennington

Yeah Derek I've always got that, I assumed we all did. Is that bad?

18. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

Maybe irrelevant, but Chester said that he was just a full on singer before joining LP. It wasn't until Mike asked him to try screaming on their songs that Chester started doing it. This was said in a lot of interviews (I can't pull up any specific at the moment) by both Mike and Chester. Kind of amazing that Chester became influential as a screamer. I think people know him more for his singing though, especially considering what singles really penetrated the mainstream.

19. KonKeR-182

KonKeR-182 excuse me for my plastic taste

Is it bad that I want to tattoo all of that on my forehead?? :lol: Especially every single time I have a argument with a ignorant teenie about this subject. Seriously though, you couldn't word that more perfectly though. It's nice to see smart, and kind individuals in this world after seeing so much bullshit going on.

20. LP Soldier 01

LP Soldier 01 True LP Soldier

I'd have to quote many people here, but I'll try to answer without doing that because it would make my post much bigger.
    As to Don Gilmore that'd be if they wanted that rock/nu-metal sound back or even some post-grunge. He really is a great producer. Look at HT, MTM, Let Go/Under My Skin (for Under My Skin also produced the original issue) compilation by Avril Lavigne (all 4 some of the most successful albums of the 2000s). There's also Dark Adrenaline (another great album with the flaws I see being related mostly to the singers, not the production). These must be the most prominent examples and all of them have heaviness in terms of sound except for some songs in Meteora, Under My Skin and the second half of Let Go, which doesn't undermine the overall quality they have. The last great album he's made, Dark Adrenaline, was in 2012, so he's not made a great album in quite a long time.

Speaking of ATS, I still haven't fully come to terms with the concept of that record, maybe because my HT/Meteora phase is not long gone (its peak having been more or less from 2012 to 2014 since I'm nineteen and those were my high school years). This year I've started to try out to new artists and genres (electropop, dark folk, some indie rock, some country, some Melodic Death Metal) apart from Nu-Metal, pop-punk, Symphonic Metal and Alternative Rock. I still have to try and get more into pop (which died for me around 20009, 2010, shortly before LP and now has come back a bit, but still think of most of its artists as sellouts) and Hip-Hop (which I despise except when in Nu-Metal).

Regarding the HT "fans", they used to annoy me back in LT days because personally that album is great overall and seeing stupid comments on Youtube turned me down from LT a bit after buying it. That's why now I try to shy away from those Youtube comments or when I read them I try to laugh instead of shouting like mad at the pc. They also made me downgrade OML at first when people were saying "This isn't LP", "Heavy is shit" or "Bring back HT". It is indeed LP because they can do anything they want even if it doesn't meet the initial expectations and it is always certain that anything they do is done from the heart and defining what they are as artists at the time they do it (sometimes the best albums are those that take many listens to really understand their concept). OML was their best album lyrically in my opinion (still have to figure out ATS) and sonically very consistent with some elements I'd like to see more of, but will sadly be impossible since Chester's passing. Bringing back HT will also be impossible, since they'be already done some visceral, raw and straightforward metal in THP. Heavy has a lot of heaviness, at least emotionally speaking, even though Kiiara outshines Chester too much on that one and I think duets should be as balanced as possible.

When it comes to the screaming, I think we've had more or less the same proportion of singing/screaming in LP's career since their inception, so there's really nothing to complain about and need to be proud of what Chester has done and how he helped shaping the best band of the 2000s and probably of all time as well. It's unfair that people will only remember LP for HT when their career is much more than that, but people normally have a short memory.

KonKeR-182 likes this.