Evanescence 4th Studio Album

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by LP Soldier 01, Aug 12, 2017.

LP Soldier 01

LP Soldier 01 True LP Soldier

LP Soldier 01

Sorry for the double post, but the Synthesis version of Bring Me To Life dropped hours ago, so here it is:

It was not what I was expecting. I was still hoping for heavier guitars, just with a remake of the symphonic elements, but let's see what comes next.

KonKeR-182 likes this.
    KonKeR-182

KonKeR-182 excuse me for my plastic taste

Amy Lee said there won't be any heavy guitars on it unfortunately. It's just going to be just classical music out through the album, which is what she always wanted. I'm hoping for Evanescence to sound normal after Synthesis. But eh, I do like the difference of the album compared to the others. It makes the band, and the album stand out even more than they already do.

LP Soldier 01 likes this.
    LP Soldier 01

I was surprised by the new single Imperfection. I think it's much better than the rearrangement of Bring Me To Life. I hope they go back to their signature sound after Synthesis, but I'll definitely listen to the whole new album and buy it. I think they also need to spend less time on hiatus before each album. 6 years waiting for an album is nonsense, even knowing that Amy Lee had to look after her son after he was born. Even before that, there was a 5-year hiatus between The Open Door and the self-titled record, which is too much. I think a band can't have only 3 albums in 15 years and expect to keep a big fanbase because only those who followed the band really closely will listen to any new stuff that may come up.

KonKeR-182 likes this.
    KonKeR-182

Oh same here, I'm so excited to hear how different it is.
    Yeah agreed, but there was a reason why they took that long break between Open Door, and Self Titled. It was because Amy wasn't feeling it anymore, she didn't want the band continue. But thankfully, she realized it was a silly thought.
    Amy even commented how Ev basically turned "underground" after the hiatus was over, and self titled was released. That long ass hiatus costed them half of the fanbase, but there was a lot that stuck around, including myself.

LP Soldier 01

It's just sad to see that they could have been one of the best bands ever, but even after Fallen, Ben Moody's departure made their sound different because the guitar work was not the same anymore. On the other hand, I think Will Hunt gave the band a new dimension to their drumming, but when that change came, they had already been through costly lineup changes and had already lost many fans along the way.

KonKeR-182

You're literally repeating what I've been thinking for years XD
    I'm bummed though about the line up changes, especially Terry since he was there for a long ass time for not only the band, but for Amy personally. But, once again, Amy always wanted Ev to herself for the main reason of having full on control of the band's sound. Which we can all see, it worked out perfectly for her. Now I don't know who anyone is besides Jen, and I rather not get to know anyone else since there might be another line up change in a year or two!

LP Soldier 01

Still, I don't think fans should be so harsh on them. I have a friend who says the band died after Fallen. He considers The Open Door good, but as if the band tried to open a door to something new and completely different and after that album he hasn't listened to any new material and doesn't plan on doing that (he basically did the same to LP after Minutes To Midnight and also after that album are some of LP's best songs), but honestly the self-titled has some of their best songs like for example Lost In Paradise. I don't think that is the right way to approach music and people can only judge it after having listened to it and not saying it's bad just because they didn't like a single or consider the new sound is too different because being different doesn't make it bad.

KonKeR-182

If I had a dime each time a retard says that the band died after Fallen, I would be more richer than the guy who created facebook.
    If only they gave the shit after Fallen a chance, they would totally like it. The whole development of the band is incredible to watch/listen to. Amy's range even gotten longer! Even with the ridiculous amount of line up changes, the band is still amazing.

Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

Hi, I know you're a new member so I suggest that you read the forum rules. The use of the word 'retard' is not allowed in this forum and I'm going to have to give you a warning for using that term. I've deleted your avatar and a part of your profile information as you have used that word in both.

KonKeR-182 likes this.
    LP Soldier 01

The video for the song imperfection has already been released. Check it out:

KonKeR-182 and Dragondust like this.
    KonKeR-182

I wonder if Amy, and the rest of the band did it on purpose but.. did you notice tiny references out through the video? Like, there were the self-titled theme colours. The sorrowful part at the beginning is a My Immortal reference. Amy's hood could reference Everybody's Fool. The red dress could be for Sweet Sacrifice and/or Call Me When You're Sober. Then finally, the under water scenes are obviously for Going Under. Lots of fans are being theorists about this, including myself. What about you?

I loved how emotional, and artistic the whole video was. Also the little girl which I'm assuming is suppose to represent Amy when she was younger was a great element to add into the whole thing. No matter how much pain a individual goes through, and now matter how hard it is to pull through, it's never okay to surrender. Unfortunately though, and how devastating it is, people surrender (especially those we care deeply for) do exactly that. They let their inner demons win a long battle.. even with the amount of love surrounding them.

I think its inspiring for Amy to speak about this upsetting topic within her art. We need more things like that, especially when "the world's a little more fucked up everyday"

On a lighter note though, I think this is one of the first official album track that Amy swears in. Actually I think it is the first, but I might have to do some research about that.

Dragondust likes this.
    LP Soldier 01

I think you're right with all the references. I thought of Sweet Sacrifice when I saw the red dress. The sorrow is present throughout the whole video, but mostly on the piano piece before the actual song which is as beautiful as the one on My Immortal. The water scenes remind of the part of the video where she drowns in Going Under.

This is a song that tells us that no matter how fucked up things me be we must not surrender and need to keep fighting to win the battle against our demons. I saw someone commented that the scene of the stretcher can be a reference to her sister who passed away when she was young and all the sorrow and negativity around losing a relative as she stated on the song Hello from Fallen. I think she found a creative way to sing about most of what she used to experience and how those experiences influence life some years after they happen.

As to the swearing I also think it's the first time. It's sad for me to see this band being downgraded nowadays, even though it's true that an album like Fallen will never happen again because Amy had been planning it for so long before recording it and it was much more personal and heartfelt than the albums that came after it. The self-titled was their heaviest album to date and now we see Amy's trying to take the band in a different direction, which is good as her voice still retains its essence and she's still an amazing pianist, while the tracks have a different creative spin, which didn't work so well on Bring Me To Life version, but worked perfectly on Imperfection. Let's see if this album goes well on the remaining tracks, but I'd be interested to see more original tracks on this one.

As to the future, I think bringing back Ben Moody would make the band more popular again (that's vey unlikely), but i wouldn't like to see them trying to do a Fallen part 2 album. I say that because I haven't seen that many guitarists capable of doing what he did on Fallen. I they try to go pop on the next record, it will likely shake the boat even more unless the remaining fans are all the true Evanescence fans. As a person who grew up with their music (even before LP), I still regard them as my second favorite band (not second artist overall, because that is still Avril Lavigne) even after having tried many more. This band will always have a sentimental value for me. Seeing them live one day (maybe next year) would be a dream come true as it was when I saw LP in Prague. I don't know if they'll add more dates to the European tour (I'd like them to go to Rock in Rio Lisbon, which is quite likely to happen since they were there in 2012).

What I'd be pleased with would be a collab with one of the symphonic metal goddesses (Tarja Turunen, Simone Simons, Sharon Den Adel and Floor Jansen), but the choice would be based on wheter or not Amy would want a big contrast to her voice (Tarja would be the choice) or not (Sharon and Simone would work best) or Floor Jansen if she wanted more versatility. Another singer that is not seen as a godesses by fans (even if she is on that level for me) but that could work very well with Amy would be Charlotte Wessels of Delain. Joining all these singers in an album would be out of this world.

Anyway, I hope the next hiatus between albums won't be too long because that is one big problem this band has. 4 albums in 14 years is not normal in music (being a mother shouldn't have kept Amy away from Evanescence for so long, even if she tried to do some solo efforts in the meantime).

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    KonKeR-182

Amy said that after this album, they're going to their roots. So, I assume a Fallen part 2 in the future? Also, Synthesis is just a experiment, a long waiting experiment to be particular. I'm pretty sure she said that it's not going to be permanent.

Bringing back Ben would cause more problems than needed. Especially for Amy since those two couldn't get along when it came to the band itself. Plus, The Open Door did pretty damn well without him anyways. Evanescence is my fourth favourite band, Avril is my third, then my second, and first should be obvious enough not to be mentioned. I've been a fan for years, and I constantly see them continuing to go underground. And, when they're peaking out from the ground, it's just about Bring Me To Life, or Call Me When You're Sober.

Synthesis tour started a few days ago if you didn't hear. I think it started on 14th, but I could be incredibly wrong on that. Either way, I would love to go. Mainly to see Amy get into the first verse of Imperfection, she looks so powerful, and inspirational while singing it. Especially with her hair just whipping back and forth, it looks so cool.

Ooo! Good one with the collaborating choices. Personally, I always wanted to see Amy working with Cristina Adriana. I think those two would make a kickass track together.

Dude, I agree. This band has a huge problem with when a album should released. It's another reason why I always adored LP. They don't make the fans wait for years on end to even hear a single! But, I completely understand on why we had to wait between The Open Door, and Self-Titled though. It was because Amy was feeling that Evanescence should end, that she wasn't feeling inspired to continue the band anymore. Not because of being a new mother, that was just a quarter of the reason. But, between the rest of the albums... that's a lot of waiting without no good reasons.

LP Soldier 01

If you mean Christina Scabbia from Lacuna Coil, good choice as well, but she doesn't seem to have versatility the same way all the others do.Lacuna Coil is the weakest of this kind of bands in my opinion, they sound almost the same all the time, with the exception of their metalcore 2016 album, which was not so good as Dark Adrenaline (my favorite Lacuna Coil album). As to versatility I'd say: Floor Jansen, the Sharon, then Simone (I've seen Epica live and she doesn't sound as good live as these two or even like Charlotte, but I'd need to see all the other bands to confirm this), then Charlotte (in terms of talent I think she wins, there's something special in her voice Charlotte's and I'll definitely want to go see Delain live). The best would be putting them all together in an album.

Delain may be my third favorite band since they only have one bad album and while the others have 1 less good album with a bigger discography, I think sonically Delain didn't take too long to find a formula that worked very well and what they've done since then is just perfecting it. At least they're the Symphinic Metal band I listen to the most nowadays and their last album was amazing, too bad that it went to the airplane basement and got broken, but the cd still works. They're also a bit more upbeat than the other bands.

I've read the whole story of Amy not feeling that Evanescence should continue and her always saying that she wasn't feeling it anymore so she decided to go for solo projects and the children album also because of Jackson and she even said that it would be more difficult to manage taking care of him while touring so extensively. About Ben Moody, I know there were a lot of creative differences between the two and as she's always been the leader of the project, she decided he should leave the band.

As to the time between the album, it didn't cost only fans, but also concert aundience and now they don't play in big venues anymore. Seeing a band with such big potential being almost underground now is sad.

KonKeR-182

You have a point there. Hmm, want to know a cooler idea? How about all of them collab on a track, even add Lacey Sturm if you know who she is. I think that would be priceless.

Oh definitely, but eh. At least it shows how much Amy does care for the fans. She's still continuing Evanescence even with the fanbase slowly decreasing in numbers.

LP Soldier 01

I do, she's the singer of Flyleaf, I don't like their music that much. If we were to be talking of female singers we could add Dianne Van Giesbergen from Xandria. Outside that genre also Avril Lavigne or Chrissy Costanza from Against The Current would make a great collab with Amy. A good collab could bring more popularity to Evanescence, they could only benefit from it.

KonKeR-182

But would Amy be up for it though? I don't think so to be honest, she's so happy that she become the only remaining member of the band. I think she prefers to enjoy this time before thinking about teaming up with someone for a collab track.. sadly.
    But yeah, that would be so rad if her, and Avril teamed up. If that happened, I honestly think I couldn't stop screaming out of excitement to even listen to the damn thing :lol:
    Hmm, what about Amy, with Hayley Williams? I think that would sound pretty cool.

LP Soldier 01

The album has dropped on Spotify.
    Very solid, with the greatest moments being Imperfection, My Heart Is Broken, Imaginary, Lost In Paradise and My Immortal, at least from just one full listen.

In the songs I didn't like so mcuh, I felt that in some of the older tracks, the lack of drums and guitar is too noticeable. The intro could have been a bigger thing, a better orchestral track to open it, the interlude also lacked some catchy instrumental parts and I didn't care much about Hi-Lo as well, except Lindsey Stirling's violin play since I am a fan of her music despite not having enjoyed her last album as much due to many guest singers didn't have that good of a voice and almost all the backing vocals sounded terribly wrong and unnecessary so I think a violin and dubstep album for her would be the best choice even if I praise her for adding some keyboards here and there and trying to make her music more diverse. Sadly, I didn't notice Jen on this album.

Back to Evanescence, Lacrymosa was quite good, but also not that difficult to make since it had a lot of orchestration back in the day. Your Star could have also had something to make it a bit more catchy and Secret Door was a quite good one and surprising as well since I had never listened to it because I skipped their streaming album Lost Whispers. On most of the tracks or even all of them is Amy who shines, but there are some orchestral arrangements that really have that something to amaze me. Amy could have added a bit more to some tracks vocally to make them shine better and compensate on what some of those orchestrations didn't do so well. Her piano solo The In-Between is just great and it has a great transition to Imperfection which is the culmination of the record and also one of the best tracks, if not the best.

As to the electronica, I like most of the beats, but sometimes they are not good enough to replace the signature sound and I see this mostly as a transition album regarding the fact that they changed from Wind-up to BMG and they probably want to bring something different now to test teir sound with something they haven't done, but I could see this band exploring Electropop on the next album and would definitely be pleased about it, so changing things up once again would be good and Synthesis could work as a way for them to figure out what works well for the band and apply it on future records, though I understand a move like that would be very likely to shake the boat even more.

KonKeR-182

I'm pretty sure Amy is keeping her word on the fact that Synthesis is a one time thing, but if she doesn't.. I see full on potential. Also I just over all adore how unique the album was, without the traditional guitar/bass, and regular drums. But, I totally agree with you. This project is not good enough to replace their signature sound, plus they'll definitely lose even more portions of their fanbase if they decide to take that route. Not including me though, I'm a Ev fan til the day I'm in the ground.

My favourite tracks were Imaginary, Imperfection, Bring Me To Life, Hi-Lo, Never Go Back, and Your Star. The rest of the tracks I'm pretty mutual about. But yeah, you could definitely tell that there's no traditional instruments in the remakes of the older songs. But, eh.. I kind of like the different twist. It brings each track into a complete different light.

Hmm.. I could see them exploring Electropop as well. But, I also can see them getting harder with their sound in the future as well. Maybe a blend of the two?

Touring must be tough during for the Synthesis tour though.. since there's huge instruments to take along with them to every destination. I just remembered that.. Did you realize that as well? But eh, I bet they can make it through. I really would like to see them live though.. seeing Amy in her full glory is a dream of mine. Especially now since she's finally doing something she always wanted. I find it so cool.