Linkin Park and Friends Celebrate Life in Honor of Chester Bennington - Stream Details + Discussion

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Oct 27, 2017.

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

Deryk was definitely a surprise. That performance of the Catalyst was kind of stunning. I always have only known him for the pop punk stuff of Sum 41.

I agree that chemistry between members in a band can NOT be understated. I would say that is even more important than the musical talent you have in a band (which seems dubious to say but your talent can't save the band). A lack of chemistry and bad vibes can tear apart a band and therefore ruin productivity and the potential for good music.

Sasuke and Michele like this.
    Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Bleed it Out w/ The Messenger is too beautiful and awesome than it has any right to be.

Harlz, Gravity_LP, Ree and 2 others like this.
    Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

right? I never expected these two songs together, but these definitely was one of my favorite BIO performance the band has ever done. Pure beautiful.

Gravity_LP, Ree and Kevin like this.
    Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

This celebration definitely brought out a lot of highlight performances and interpretations of songs we've known and loved. NCSM and SE as well were stunning. Phoenix's new guitar part on Shadow of the Day should be mandatory from now on and I think will be, as it makes sense for Mike to play bass while singing that one. And yes, I fully believe he can take full lead on that one.

Just goes to show that though the band have gone through so much, at the end of the day they're still musicians.

Harlz, Gravity_LP, Jesse and 4 others like this.
    Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

I think Jon Green played some guitar parts in Shadow of the Day as well.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I was just thinking that Kii sounded so good during "Heavy". She's improved so much as a live vocalist since she first started

Abel, Modern Guitar God and Sasuke like this.
    Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

What an amazing event, I'm still in awe of how strong Mike, Talinda and the guys were. They showed honest emotions, they paid tribute to Chester in the most beautiful and respectful way they could AND supported an important cause through it. I can't think of any band who has done this for a passed away band member, especially not to this extent. I cried, I laughed and that's exactly what we all needed to do, both fans and band & friends. From start to finish, this was just beautiful.

Also: Deryk from Sum 41, with his voice and looks, almost tricked me into thinking that a young Chester was jumping around the stage and performing "The Catalyst". Very surreal.

And I looked up "Civil Twilight" because of this event, and god, they're great. I basically have Chester to thank for finding out about this band, 'cause I didn't know them before.

Gravity_LP and Modern Guitar God like this.
    Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Being there, I got emotional with songs from all of their records. From the opening note of Robot Boy, through iridescent/The Messenger, into Roads Untraveled, Numb and Shadow of the day, I was a wreck. Emotions came back as Nobody Can Save Me started up. I have such an emotional connection with that song. Emotions came back again like a wrecking ball for One More Light, Looking For An Answer and Waiting For The End. Iridescent and New Divide also got to me.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Did the band actually play Numb or was it a recording?

Modern Guitar God

They played it live with Chester’s voice. You can barely see the band playing on stage.

Gravity_LP likes this.
    Jesse

Some videos from those that attended the concert in person.

chris2

chris2 Smiling At Strangers On Trains LPA Super Member

Such a moving show. I won't lie I shed a few tears while watching. RIP Chester you legend.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

As someone who was there, the live stream audio is terrible. It put the crowd out of sync on Numb (when I can promise you, we DEFINITELY were on time) and buried vocals of others. I promise you, the audio in person was way better.

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

I expected as much. I really hope that they release a professional recording, even if it may have to be free due to the sheer number of guests involved.

Doridorica

Doridorica Well-Known Member

It'd be great to own the concert dvd, this beautiful tribute, celebration of life, deserves it.

Joh

Joh Active Member

I was irritated for one sec. about the crowed being out of sync. But then it's obvious that it's not the crowed themselves but the technique.
    However I'm still so great full they live streamed it.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

It was terrible, but an understandable terrible. You sounded out of sync because TECHNICALLY you were. It just doesn't sound like it in person. Because the speed of sound is SO much slower than the speed of light, by the time to sound reaches, say, the back of the Hollywood Bowl, the band themselves were further along in the song.

It's why we see lightning before we hear thunder, or why at a stadium the sound of a baseball being struck by a baseball bat is heard later than the actual visual you see of the batter hitting the baseball.

What should've been done was to delay the stream by a couple of seconds (more than what they did, at least) so they could sync up, say, a crowd audio feed to the delayed soundboard feed. As it is, it sounds like they just had mics set up on or near the stage. According to those mics alone, yes, you were all off beat. Not THAT offbeat, but the time it takes for the sound of the bands to reach the audience, have the audience respond, and have the crowd vocals reach the mics back on stage doubles how badly synced you all were.

At a crowd that size, if you took off your ear monitors, the crowd being off-beat is what you would hear in real time.

Jesse likes this.
    Modern Guitar God

Damn :lol:

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

So the tech crew replaced Oli Sykes' live vocals with his rehearsal take from the night before (assumedly what was playing through his monitors) on the live stream.

I thought it was weird when I was watching the livestream back, because live it sounded different and was maybe my favourite performance of the night.

20. Jesse

Yes, I saw Olli mention this on twitter the other day and asked about it in the shoutbox. Some were accusing him of lip syncing.

Also those personal recordings of the concert, a lot of the vocals sound a bit different/better than the live stream. I wonder if more than just Oli's voxs got a bit mixed up.

One More Light and Waiting for the End are especially noticeable. Mike sounds much better, I think.