AltWire Posts One More Light (Live) Review

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Dec 14, 2017.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

AltWire has posted a review of Linkin Park's latest live album One More Light (Live) in advance of the album's December 15th, 2017 release date. The review, which touches on my reaction to Chester's untimely passing as well as how the live album honors Chester can be read here.

What are your thoughts on the AltWire review? Let us know on the forums!

Foreshadowed_LP and Sasuke like this.
    Foreshadowed_LP

Foreshadowed_LP Well-Known Member

Excellent review Derek, very well written and it's true, this is going to be a really bittersweet moment listening to this. I'm excited yet somewhat nervous to listen to this, I'm waiting in anticipation and I can't wait to hear how good his voice sounds live again, although you know it's going to have a different impact on you, knowing this is his goodbye.

I especially loved this quote from your review, "The record is not a display of new material, subject to the opinions and scores of the masses. Instead, it is a beautiful goodbye, which allows us to hear Chester doing what he loved most – extending his hand to his fans one last time." Very true!

We love you Chester. We love you Linkin Park.

Goten

Goten Member

Received my copy today.
    It's just a wonderful album, feels like being at a concert from start to finish. You even hear them talking sometimes at the end of the songs. It's nearly perfectly cutted, I could not tell that it was different concerts if I did not know it.

Hahninator

Hahninator Well-Known Member

Agreed with the "goodbye" quote. Great review.

Sa6o_dfg likes this.
    Derek

Thanks buddy! Your LPL review was pretty damn badass too!

iamsatan

iamsatan Well-Known Member

Excellent review, can't wait until I get my copy, thanks for sharing your story about 7/20.

I was lucky enough to go the Vegas show this past may, and Chester was right about this tour cycle, the band was god like on that night.The place was so insane the floor was literally jumping up and down with the crowd. I'll never forget how emotional Chester was after singing One More Light, he put one finger up to the sky in tribute to Chris Cornell and looked like he was about to break down.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

That review was incredibly well written. Great job, Derek!

Foreshadowed_LP

Just finished listening to the digital version of One More Light Live as my physical CD copy was only just dispatched today. I have to say, it was truly wonderful to listen to this from start to finish and really encapsulated the One More Light meaning and vibe both in terms of sound and in terms of personal and meaningful lyrics. The songs flow so well together and the sound quality and production is great. I love the fact I can hear the guitars so clearly along with the drums, synths and bass and found myself nodding my head and tapping my feet constantly throughout at some of the catchy beats and choruses. The band did a fantastic job on tour and did great in their choices of songs to implement on this album, each one having a message and one that relates to a lot of fans/people.

It was nice to hear and see that they chose Battle Symphony from the Birmingham show (Chester's last ever show) that I attended, as I recall saying how good it sounded live especially with the different guitar they used. You can hear the guitar clearly on the digital version of the album, it really sticks out and sounds great especially towards the latter part of the song. That, and Chester sounds brilliant on it, he hits every note!

Other highlights for me was Chester on New Divide where he sounded outstanding and it's just such a great song to bounce to live. Invisible sounded great and Mike sounds so good live when performing this track, Crawling has taken on a new layer and emotion with the way the band performed it in 2017 with just a piano to accompany Chester's incredible voice. Such a powerful song that really sticks out on this Live Album. Good Goodbye was a lot of fun to listen to especially with Mike's rapped 2nd verse and Stormzy's appearance. I also have to applaud how perfect Sharp Edges sounds to me on this album. I love the song, it was my personal favourite from One More Light and is in my Top 10 Favourite Linkin Park songs and here, it just sounds so warm and touching to listen to. The nice intertwining guitar play between Brad and Chester at the start, Chester's soothing vocals during the verses and then he embellishes the song with his passionate vocals during the the chorus and the bridge and then calms things down with his "ooh's". The song is just beautiful to listen to and I love Chester's talk at the end of the track and the credit he gives to Mike.

I was so pleased to hear the extended versions of Leave Out All The Rest (which was just epic), What I've Done (with the awesome Chester scream during the bridge and the amazing guitar solo from Brad) and Bleed It Out (the last song Chester sang live and the perfect choice to end the album especially with the interaction with the crowd and Chester's final scream). That and listening to the new songs and how they sounded live felt really special and was the perfect way to honour the memory of Chester Bennington and what he meant both to the band, to the fans and to the music world.

Chester sounds fantastic on this (as does the rest of the band), with so much power and emotion in his voice, even breaking out the Chester of 2000-2003 with the scream of "I do..." on One More Light. It just felt such a joy to listen to this and remember Chester and what he meant to me. He was my hero and although he's gone at least I'll have the special memories of listening to his music, seeing him live, meeting him in person, talking to him, hugging him and getting to tell him that he was a Legend to me. His words, his music, his voice both on studio albums and live will always be in my head and in my heart and although it hurts knowing he's gone, at least we have those memories to keep us going, to comfort us and make us smile and to remember what a truly wonderful human being and inspiration he was. This album signifies his love for music, for performing live and for giving his energy and his everything for the fans and is something special to hold onto.

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Nice review Derek! I enjoyed it very much.

Just listened to the album myself, and What I've Done live is :wub:

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

What a wonderfully written review.

I just finished the album myself and it is a fantastic tribute to Chester.

I maybe late to the party on this but am I the only one who's noticed the extended intro to Sharp Edges sound incredibly similar to the guitar in Devil's Drop?

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

A bold Statement: The song “One More Light” sounds better on this album than it does on the studio album.

Noosh

Noosh Well-Known Member

Agreed, the instruments come through alot better on most songs here compared to the album. Really makes me wish they'd managed to get all the songs on stage because I'd love to hear how Halfway Right or Sorry For Now would've translated.

On the subject of the this album though, I feel everything sink inside when I listen through each song. I really wish I'd managed to plan to get to London or Birmingham for any of the tour dates after Manchester was cancelled. I really wanted to see them again after I enjoyed my first time seeing them in 2014.

Hybrid likes this.
    Foreshadowed_LP

This 100%. I absolutely adore the instrumentation on the live version and the way the guitar sounds in the bridge. You can feel the passion in Chester's voice on this and the added scream of "I do..." just makes the song that more raw and powerful.

Hybrid and Noosh like this.
    StrictlyJohnD

StrictlyJohnD Go Texans & Rockets!

Verdict on Linkin Park's One More Light Live album: Impressive. Much of Europe -- where the tracks were performed -- was fortunate to watch Chester Bennington perform for the last time. The mixing brought out a lot of the instruments. Will the band stay together? Who knows?

Derek

My favorite thing about it is how loud Mike's harmonies were in this version. I wish they were as present in the studio mix as they were here. They change the feeling of the song entirely (in a good way).

Avo, Hybrid and Foreshadowed_LP like this.
    Foreshadowed_LP

Funnily enough, I was thinking exactly the same thing today. My CD version of the Live Album arrived today and I decided to listen to it and as soon as the second verse of One More Light started I thought "wow, I love Mike's harmonies here, it sounds so perfect with Chester's vocals". I really do love this live version a lot, so many things stand out on this.

I also have to say I find it very emotional listening to this and Crawling. The lyrics to Leave Out All The Rest also hit home that Chester is gone and is the perfect note in Chester's absence but Crawling, just the way Chester belts out the chorus with pure emotion, it just breathes new life into the song.

JSigcha10

JSigcha10 Well-Known Member

Got my copy later than usual, normally preorder any new music off their website but it took me sometime to muster the courage to really sit and listen to it without getting upset.

The Roads Untraveled intro followed by Talking to Myself hit me so hard. It was so hauntingly beautiful, but so upsetting singing the lyrics and then thinking about Chester. I can't believe it's been 5 months. I'm waiting so impatiently (with respect) for Mike to release a studio rendition of Looking for an Answer. Just watching his Instagram story made me so happy he's doing what he loves and is taking it day by day, and it sounded so great already live.

thesungoesdown

thesungoesdown It's like I'm paranoid..

Thesungoesdown is posting in this thread. Let me know what you think of thesungoesdown's post.