Opinion: Why 'Post Traumatic' Is The Most Important Gift We've Received

Discussion in 'News' started by Mark, Jan 26, 2018.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

On the wall in my apartment hangs a piece of canvas that my now-wife bought whilst in the throes of grief over the loss of a loved one half a decade ago. It says “You can’t stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.”

It was the first thing I thought of during my first listen of the aptly-titled Post Traumatic EP, Mike Shinoda’s first music released since the death of Chester Bennington in July of 2017. Post Traumatic is Mike learning to surf: a guided tour through the aftermath of Chester’s passing which features Mike at his realest, rawest and most vulnerable.

Grief is often connected with sadness, but anyone who has lost someone truly important to them will tell you it is more than that: it is anger, fear, disorientation, guilt, desolation and, yes, immense sadness rolled into one. Post Traumatic manages to perfectly touch on all of these themes in just ten short minutes.

It’s odd to say this about a 3-song EP, but this is an important release for fans. Many have touched on the immense amount of catharsis they felt while listening to these songs and hearing Mike describe what many of them have been going through. If we’re in group therapy, Mike’s lyrics on Post Traumatic help facilitate our healing.

In Place to Start, Mike describes how Chester’s death has created doubt and uncertainty about what’s next for him and his bandmates. What is clearly evident is his struggle to picture what a Chester-less Linkin Park looks like, and how that would work. Yet despite his admissions of hopelessness and fear about the future, there’s a real underlying yearning for the strength and inspiration to take that first step towards re-launching things. The spark is still there, but the fire has not yet risen, and it’s going to take some time.

Throughout Over Again, Mike depicts how grief comes in waves, often unexpectedly. The song shares many of the same themes as the title track from One More Light, which also touches on loss and how the smallest reminders can blindside you and make you spiral. Between choruses, the track chronicles the decision to put together Chester’s tribute show and how hard it was to rehearse and perform without him at the Hollywood Bowl show three months later. One of the most interesting takeaways is how conflicted Mike was after the show. It’s not uncommon for those close to someone who has died to feel a certain level of survivor’s guilt, and it’s entirely reasonable for Mike to feel torn about answering a question about how the tribute show went with an emphatic “it was amazing!". Can you enjoy something, whilst wishing it had never happened?

One interpretation of Watching as I Fall is that it centers around the challenges of grieving under a public microscope. As a society, we often don’t give others the space to grieve in their own way, and project our own beliefs of how to grieve upon them. The fact is that different people grieve differently. Some do it openly and outwardly, while others put on a brave face. Some stay in bed all day and others try to keep busy. Some surround themselves with family and friends and others withdraw into themselves. The key is that there’s no perfect way to grieve, so when you see Mike posting concert pics on his Instagram, your assumption shouldn’t be “well, he seems fine!", because in all likelihood he’s just trying to cope day-to-day like the rest of us.

Post Traumatic is the most important gift the LP community has ever received. It confirms that we’re not alone in feeling the way we do. It teaches us that grief is an ongoing process, and that closure is a myth. It gives us perspective on being grateful for having something that makes saying goodbye so difficult.

And it tells us the waves will keep on coming, but we can learn to surf.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    Ksandory

Ksandory Well-Known Member

I agree with you! We just need to thank Mike that he´s sharing his emotions and thoughts with us. Itll help a lot of fans...
    In my opinion I just hope that Mike is not getting pushed from all the Messages he´s receiving when and how LP will return. It makes me sad that the public dont understand that it needs more than a day, week, months to heal and accept what happend.

Kathleen likes this.
    Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Great write up, we need more posts like this. Agree with everything you wrote.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

We've never done an opinion post on LPA in 17 years until this one.

....it's time to start making this a more common occurrence. This was beautiful Mark.

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

This is really well-written, thanks Mark.

RichV

RichV New Member

I never expected Mike to expose his feeling to the world in such an explicit way, and the thing what makes it so unexpected is that we've never seen him from this perspective. The things he wears on his sleeve and such.

Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

Abel, Mark, ragsta and 1 other person like this.
    Modern Guitar God

He keeps a strong face on for everyone, being the leader of his band mostly, I think it started to come to him really naturally. But he is still a vulnerable and flawed person like all of us. Sometimes he doesn’t have the answers to problems or plans. I think this EP and the videos show that side of him, trying to find a way to deal with loss and grief. He did that in a really effective and moving way.

Mulholland3253

Mulholland3253 New Member

Mark -
    thank you for your very well written and insightful review of Post Traumatic EP and each track. I found myself just shaking my head yes as I read it.
    Adding to what you wrote about "Over Again" - I liked what he did at the tribute show, when he questioned if the audience (all of us, not just those who were lucky enough to physically be there), were supposed to be having fun - and he pushed through that yes, that is what Chester would have wanted! I can say a lot more introspective and personal things, but will leave it at this because what you wrote was so right on. Peace Bro.

poetdancer likes this.
    Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Beautifully written.

"Can you enjoy something, whilst wishing it had never happened?"

That line hits hard and has me thinking about life.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Ditto. Los Angeles was one of the most incredible experiences of my life, but I think about the events that lead to it happening and sometimes feel survivor's guilt, considering the only reason I was there was because Chester had passed away.

Abel and Blake like this.
    LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

This post is amazing.
    Seeing Mike be so vulnerable and open about his grief and anxiety is something so commendable.

If Chester was here right now, he would be gushing about how amazing Mike is and how brave he is to every person he'd know and in every interview.

Kevin likes this.
    Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I love this post. Great job, Mark!

*continues whittling at this beach wood to make it into a surfboard.*

insanefanboy

insanefanboy RIP Chester Bennington

Well said indeed Mark. Beautiful.

Karen Newell

Karen Newell One more light♡♡♡

I am so very greatful to Mike for sharing these tracks, and to you for this "Opinion" thread. This all has been very hard on all of us, but honestly when I heard about Chesters passing, the very first person that came to my mind was Mike. I apologize to Chesters wife and children, of course my heart breaks for them equally, but I was consumed with pain and heartbreak for Mike, it was like I could feel every bit of his pain, and it did and still does come in waves.
    Your discription of greif, I totally agree with you. We all greive differently, I sometimes found myself getting angry with fans, wanting them to leave this poor man alone, and give him the time he needs, no matter how long it takes, and be here for him whenever he is ready and support him in whatever he decides to do in the future.
    Maybe I don't have the right to feel this way, I didn't know Chester, only through his music, but I felt his pain, everytime I heard him sing, it is such a sad, sad thing to know that he suffered silently his entire life. It's heartbreaking, I cry every time I think about how much he was suffering daily. I can relate, and no one should go through life that way.
    I am gonna stop now, I think I've said enough for now.
    Thank you for allowing me to share.
    Karen Newell

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2018
    Kathleen and Murali like this.
    m_macdonald

m_macdonald Well-Known Member

Just popping by for the first time in a gazillion years to say that this is one of the greatest things I've ever read on this site.

Beautifully written, and a very worthwhile and necessary post about a beautiful EP.

Peace x

Mark, Kathleen, Hybrid and 1 other person like this.
    Modern Guitar God

Welcome back

StrictlyJohnD

StrictlyJohnD Go Texans & Rockets!

Great perspective on a great piece of work from a great musician and human being.

Murali

Murali LP Soldier

This was a great post. Thanks Mark.

^This. Being a big fan of Linkin Park and the only I band I listen to 80% of my time, when I came to know about the news through my sister, the first thing that I started thinking was how difficult it would be for Mike and was praying that he should be okay.

ROLLSTARLP

ROLLSTARLP New Member

Thank you Mark! This article sums it up. Makes you thnk about a lot of things. Puts others into perspective. Thank you Mike Shinoda for the gift of your beautiful voice. The album is amazing!