The Enter Shikari Thread

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by TheInterframe, Aug 7, 2016.

Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

Slow? Shikari? Damn that sucks.

Prefer their more metal/post hardcore leaning side, but the way they mix genres is what I like best about them. A straight electronic album wouldn't be my favourite, although I like the Grime elements they've incorporated recently into songs like Supercharge (which is an absolute banger) and Rabble Rouser.

Agree about The Mindsweep, that was an amazing album probably topped TTTS and AFFOC which were my joint #1 ranked before. If this is slow it will come below those 3 and maybe even Common Dreads, which although I liked some of a lot wasn't really my thing.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Yeah, the album starts out with more energetic Enter Shikari but still pretty void of any Metal elements. The second half is all slow and even a little bit of the first half is slow. A little bit disappointing as Enter Shikari is best when they are energetic. EDIT: I'm listening again for the second time and it's not as slow as I remember but a lot of the songs don't click like usual.

Yeah, The Mindsweep is easily my favorite album from them. I would argue it blows all their albums out of the water except Take to the Skies.
    This is how I would rank their albums personally to me:
    1. The Mindsweep
    2.Take to the Skies
    3. A Flash Flood of Colour
    4. The Spark
    5. Common Dreads

What's weird is I was thinking about this last night and it's not necessarily that got better or worse over time but they are one of the unique cases where they didn't get better or worse over the years and instead their albums, to me, jump all over the place because each album has a different sound but still tells you "This is Enter Shikari" and that's why their albums jump all over the place because some albums had a sound that was way better utilized than others.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

Wow. This is a beautiful album. Airfield, The Sights, and An Ode to Lost Jigsaw Pieces are such standouts. After one listen, Take My Country Back, Shinrin-yoku, and The Revolt of the Atoms are the only tracks I haven't clicked with.

I can't wait to get my signed copy of it.

EDIT: After my fourth listen-through, I really love this album. I also love the production and how it reminds me of the same style Coldplay took with Mylo Xyloto in some spots.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    chris2

chris2 Smiling At Strangers On Trains LPA Super Member

It's a great album so far. Poppier than the rest of their stuff, but still brilliant. I need to give it more spins to make a final conclusion though. Can't wait to hear the new stuff live in December!

Captain-EO and Michele like this.
    Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Idk, not super into it on the first listen. Feels kinda lifeless. There's solid ideas all over the album but they're not really connected into very good songs. "The Revolt of the Atoms was my favorite.

Blake likes this.
    Captain-EO

An Ode to Lost Jigsaw Pieces literally gets better every time I listen.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

This is exactly how I feel. I like it but it does feel lifeless in places and a lot more disconnected then previous albums. I have it as #4 and I don't see that changing.

1. The Mindsweep
    2. Take To the Skies
    3. A Flash Flood of Colour
    4. The Spark
    5. Common Dreads

Captain-EO

Shinrin-yoku to The Embers may just be my favorite run of Enter Shikari songs ever.

Chris loves LP

Chris loves LP Well-Known Member

I really want to like it, but I listened to it 15 times already, and I still don't feel it. Both Redshift and Hoodwinker are better than the majority of the songs on this album. The wolf howl in Undercover Agents is just atrocious.

An Ode to Lost Jigsaw Pieces is just boring to me so far, except from the screaming at the end, which is awesome.

Captain-EO

Waiting for tickets to open up so I can get mine to see them in January. So excited.

EDIT: Got my ticket! Hell yes!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    chris2 and Michele like this.
    Captain-EO

I was the last post in here but I would just like to announce that I'll be seeing my favorite band for the first time in a mere 2 weeks. I'm gonna piss myself probably.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Nice, gonna see them (hopefully) at Rock am Ring. Last RaR 2015 i missed them because of my own stupidy :facepalm:

Captain-EO

Wow.

I've never been to a show for a band I've been so deeply inspired by where it was so casual. Rou and Rob just milled about the floor before the show talking with everyone. Chris was interacting with me and the others in front of him from the stage. It was an incredible experience and it was amplified by the fact that The Spark connected with me so deeply. It was like an emotional release to hear the songs off that album live and sing along, as well as to meet the band.

That said, I was thoroughly disappointed by their second opener, Single Mothers. They were obnoxiously loud and I'm surprised the drummer didn't break his damned snare he was hitting it so hard. I'm glad the literal headache they gave me dissipated by the time Shikari took the stage.

Overall though, it was amazing and the next time they come nearby I'll be ready. And I won't be an anxious mess trying to ask Rou to take a picture with me again. :lol:

chris2

:thumbsup: Saw them live in December last year and it was hands down one of my favourite shows ever! The crowd went mental as soon as they hit the stage. All of us sang along. Everything was on point: their musicianship, their stage presence, the sound, the visuals/the lightning. I will never forget the moment Rou got off stage, climbed up one of the pillars right next to me and sang his lungs out.
    Though I didn't meet the members personally. Would've loved to chat with them.

Captain-EO likes this.
    Captain-EO

They were so on point but they also didn't take themselves too seriously. They were joking about a bad cable and latency issue during the show and just messing around but then just kicked ass as soon as the next song started. It was so impressive.

The thing I remember most vividly was when everyone lost their damned minds at Zzzonked. It was the most glorious thing. It was heavy and aggressive as hell, and I'd argue a lot more than it is in the album version. :lol:

Filip

I loved seeing them live and met them before the show, Rou didn't make the best impression but he seemed really tired. Or high as shit. Maybe I should give The Spark a second chance. Didn't like it when it came out.

Michele likes this.
    chris2

Filip

Oh damn, yeah this all seems to have been happening around the time I saw them. He put on a hell of a show but I could tell he didn't really wanna be there. I get it now. My dad went through what he's describing right before my eyes, so I can't be mad at him, knowing what it's like haha.

Captain-EO

He actually really struggled with opening up about it because he didn't want to put his problems center stage as he knew it would because he's the lead vocalist. Rou said the reason it was most difficult was because he didn't want to do something he felt was self-centered and egotistical in talking about his mental health.

He was so alive and friendly at the Atlanta show and it was so poignant when at Live Outside he yelled, "This last song is about kicking anxiety in the shins!"

TheInterframe

TheInterframe Well-Known Member

Enter Shikari announce new album and release new Single.

‘{ The Dreamers Hotel }’

The new album is titled 'Nothing Is True & Everything Is Possible' track list below:
    1. The Great Unknown
    2. Crossing The Rubicon
    3. { The Dreamers Hotel }
    4. Waltzing off the Face of the Earth (I. Crescendo)
    5. modern living…
    6. apocoholics anonymous (main theme in B minor)
    7. the pressure’s on
    8. Reprise 3
    9. T.I.N.A
    10. Elegy For Extinction
    11. Marionettes (I. The Discovery of Strings)
    12. Marionettes (II. The Ascent)
    13. satellites
    14. the king
    15. Waltzing off the Face of the Earth (II. Piangevole)

The new single sounds interesting to say the least. I think it'll take some time for me to get used to the new sound.

chris2 likes this.