What do you think that the next Album will be like?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Forks N Knives, Feb 9, 2018.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

What the hell are you talking about? It's rock artists and listeners who run around bashing every other genre for not being "real music" or whatever :disgust: so it's funny that you accuse hip-hop artists of dismissing rock music.

Incidentally, that's why I don't like hard rock anymore.

Forks N Knives

Forks N Knives NO CONTROOOL NO SURPRIIIISE

As much as I love Rock music, yes that’s true.

AmbienTisCool

AmbienTisCool Curry

Nah I’m referring to my generation. (Friends,peers, etc)

AmbienTisCool

AmbienTisCool Curry

Ur also mistaking my words in general, perhaps I’m writing bad. I’m not all rock or anything I just have a strong bias to this specific band. It’s not like I can’t appreciate other music, it’s all my preferance

minuteforce

Don't double-post - edit your first post instead. :) What you said earlier wasn't totally clear but that's no-one's fault, it's fine.

If you're referring to people that you know, what kinds of things are your friends saying specifically? Do you think they're unfairly generalising and maligning the rock music that you like?

AmbienTisCool

AmbienTisCool Curry

I’m talking g about my school and my group of friends or my squad. In rl I’m probaly the last peson anyone would expect to listen to stuff like hybrid theory lol. My friends are always playing some hard ass rap, and they make fun of my music tastes lmao. To give some context to my “squad”. It’s 8 of us and some of us r like straight A people, A few of my friends r the varsity football players and like 2 of em r just like the skip the school and do soemthing or another illegal. I’m just the odd one out in many aspects lmao. Of course with a group like that of course no one is gonna like rock

Attached Files:

minuteforce

What are they saying in particular that you actually take issue with? Or are you simply offended that their tastes differ from yours?

AmbienTisCool

AmbienTisCool Curry

im not offended over anything. its just the general opinion on rock here where i live is that rock sucks. mostly with people in high school, its not rock is the norm or anything

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

Different styles for different generations and communities. Nothing to take personal, keep being yourself but also take the opportunity to learn more and expand your tastes.

minuteforce

Well, if you think that that's unfair, or that "rock sucks" is an ignorant position to hold, you should probably examine your own as well.

Forks N Knives

Forks N Knives NO CONTROOOL NO SURPRIIIISE

I like rapping, however I dislike the instrumentals. Not that important I guess.

However I agree. I used to be a rock elitist however now I’ve changed. Music elitists are obnoxious people.

AmbienTisCool

AmbienTisCool Curry

i have i get it im the same as everyone else. but if people r gonna say it to me, im gonna say it back

minuteforce

I've had so many terse conversations with rock fans, and they generally start out trashing all pop or hip-hop or what-have-you just for not being "real" or "deep" enough next to rock music (like LINKIN PARK, the epitome of musical and lyrical sophistication) ... and, then, they pivot and fall back on "well, it's just my preference" or "i just meant i can't relate to them"

You'd think LP fans in particular would develop some respect, rather than childishly belittling other music genres and other people's tastes, given that they complain about their own tastes being misunderstood and dismissed as "teen angst"

HybridT

HybridT Well-Known Member

Well, going back to the main point of this thread: I think is still too soon to talk about the next album. We do not even know if Linkin Park is going to continue, despite Mike having all intentions to keep making new songs. But, without taking into account the previous statement, I would love the next album to be something in the style of songs like Burning In The Skies, Iridescent or The Little Things Give You Away. The main characteristic of these songs is their beautifully build up. I love how they start sounding chilly with acoustic guitars or piano, and progressively more intense sounds come together, leading us to a guitar solo. This would be a great album for them, given the fact that Mike has a 'dark' voice that would perfectly suite these type of songs.

In conclusion, I want this type of album.
    It's hilarious how these Linkin Park fans complain about not being respected for their musical tastes when these people are the first ones to consider pop music or anything different from what they listen as garbage.

Modern Guitar God likes this.
    LP Soldier 01

LP Soldier 01 True LP Soldier

As to the album, it's surely early to think about it, but I'd say it'd be another change in style, rather by going back to something they've done in the past (not nu-metal, but can be something more experimental again) or a continuation of the pop/electropop leaning sounds. I'll appreciate any approach, so I'll be fine with anything they may come up with. As to music taste, it depends, every genre has good and bad songs or albums, but with some genres I just listen to a very little amount of songs or albums (which happens mostly with rap, but I found myself enjoying the first Eminem album, even if the replay value is not high as whole as it is for one or two songs, but it's funny at least).

As to pop (thinking in terms of poppier sounds and albums, not popularity, because for those artists it's always quite high), I consider most artists are past their prime now (like Rihanna (long, long ago), Imagine Dragons (since Evolve), Pink (since the new album, but she's mostly a singles artist), Lady Gaga (since the new album, but that can change when I listen to it, just the first single didn't impress me), Katy Perry (for quite a while, also a singles artist), Maroon 5 (after the second album, not even a singles band for long), Coldplay (after Viva La Vida, only some good singles ever since) and such), but there are still some good pop artists that have mantained a certain consistency for me (Bjork (2 bad albums in 9, so it's quite good), Taylor Swift, even though Swift's new album is miles away from Speak Now and 1989, but still not the worst for me). Being past their prime also happens to some rock and metal bands like Halestorm (only sophomore was good), Breaking Benjamin (after Dark Before Dawn), Evanescence (very sadly, after the self-titled), Within Temptation (just a bit, but they've had some highs and lows, still no bad album since Mother Earth, but just not as good as The Silent Force), Lacuna Coil (only one good album, but the last was real garbage), Metallica (nothing like Black Album ever since) and Green Day (after 21st Century Breakdown, but they're still better than dookie nowadays) just to name a few. It happens with every genre, even Eminem in rap or Chelsea Wolfe (just a bit, but no bad album since the horrible debut) in Neofolk.

What makes me turn more to rock, metal, electropop and folk for the most part is that I find most of the artists I listen to in those genres are more album artists rather than single artists considering the most part of their careers, which is what I want in music, good albums from start to finish regardless of what genre, but I think it's fine to prefer some genres to others. In pop I have mostly Taylor Swift and Bjork as to album artists, even if Bjork has 2 bad albums. As to rap almost only Eminem and Fort Minor/Mike Shinoda, even if for Eminem I've listened to just 1 album, but I'll listen to the rest in 2018, but I think the rest is very likely to be consistent as well.

minuteforce

The particular artists you named may possibly be past their commercial peaks right now, especially if they first exploded in popularity while CD sales were only just starting to decline ... but it's absolutely insane to consider them to be "most" of capital-P pop right now - they're collectively just a few out of all the A-list/superstar-tier acts from the last couple of decades, and a tiny speck in the context of pop music as a whole.

There are always countless newer, more current artists that are currently gaining steam and, in the near future, they might make just as big a mark on pop culture.

Capital-P pop music is facing some problems because of the rise of streaming, but it won't ever cease to exist as a mainstay genre.

AmbienTisCool

AmbienTisCool Curry

It’s tru tho. I still stand by what I said in my first post. There r some rappers who plain out suck. I’m not calling everyone garbage, I get that people like it and it’s cool. It’s subject matter of the song and the fact I can’t even understand what their saying for some. I’m not a hardcore rock fan. My roots r in rock yea . And I even wrote in the post earlier I didn’t say all hip hop or modern music. In my opinion I still think LP is better than a lot of the tops stuff rn tho. So everyone chill lmao.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    LP Soldier 01 likes this.
    LP Soldier 01

LP Soldier 01 True LP Soldier

I stated those artists because some of them are the ones I listen to the most, and some others to give the example of huge popularity. It's true that most of them were at ther commercial peak 10 to 15 years ago and some even longer, but the majority of those, no matter the genre, were at their quality peak at that time.

In terms of consistency, and I judge that by liking most of the albums or not, I'm yet to find artists that rival with LP in terms of that consistency in the long run because most start losing quality too soon. The ones that may be more neck-and-neck with LP (no bad album with the worst being THP) from those I listen to are just Avril Lavigne (one bad album, but all others are great), Evanescence (not counting Synthesis, all others are amazing), Nightwish (only one bad album in 8), Bjork (2 bad albums in 9) for most of the discography, CHVRCHES (no bad album, just a short career), Within Temptation (only one bad album long ago), Chelsea Wolfe (only one bad album), Tame Impala (just like CHVRCHES), Radiohead (no bad album from those I heard, not big replay value, though), Arctic Monkeys (no bad album from those I heard, big replay value, though) Lorde (like CHVRCHES, but low replay value), Delain (no bad album, just not as good as Nightwish in the genre), Epica (like Delain), Breaking Benjamin (only new album will be bad, I guess), Brand New (only 1 bad album), The xx (like CHVRCHES, but with a worse vocalist) and Alvvays (like CHVRCHES).

That pretty much narrows it down in terms of consistency, but if I'd make a cut to the no bad album artists, it'd leave some good artists aside. Taylor Swift nearly makes this list and that would be the only pop artist since I don't consider Avril Lavigne pop sonically speaking when taking into account most of her career. Bring Me The Horizon doesn't get here because 1 album is utter garbage and 2 are not as good as Sempiternal or That's The Spirit.

Other artists have a lot of highs and lows or a career that's even shorter, even if some of their albums may be among my favorites. Rock and metal dominate here with very few pop, electropop and as to rap I haven't finished a single discography. Some artists from the past have so many albums (10+) that I have no patience to finish those discographies and prefer to stay with the most classic albums by them.

As to new LP album, no matter when it will be released, will likely be better than THP, so will remain as the most consistent artist. Of all the aforementioned artists, I think Avril Lavigne is the closest to LP regarding consistency. As to older artists, Pink Floyd would come close if I only took The Wall, The Division Bell and Dark Side Of The Moon into account.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

I've never understood music snobbery. People are different and have different tastes, hence why different artists produce different sounds. If it's not my thing that doesn't make it inferior.

As for any future direction, I'm not fussed, although I would quite like to see them incorporate some more strings.

BMTH's royal Albert hall performance was epic and I would like to see LP maybe try something similar with an orchestra at some point.

Modern Guitar God and Knt.Slbs like this.
    Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

It's time to return to string-based music. Collaborate again with David Campbell. His work on Meteora and MTM were great.