REMIX POST TRAUMATIC - Presented By AltWire

Discussion in 'News' started by Kevin, Mar 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

Now I can't speak for the actual judges but... I think you're right on the money. Ruining the song's specificity in theme really brings the remix down, and creates a juxtaposition that feels off putting.

Hybrid likes this.
  2. Pat

Pat LPA VIP LPA VIP

Dear LPA community and everyone else who is going to read this.
    I would love to give my two cents on this remix contest and you all guessed it, it is going to be mostly "kind of" negative. (I still have some positive things to say tho)

While I incredibly appreciate the thought of bringing up a remix contest, making artists in the Linkin Park Community encouraged to actually do something great is phenomenal. Hands down. I clap my hands for that, and always will do.
    It is something insanely huge to bring back the Linkin Park Community after a huge down-phase due to Chesters passing. It was a big achievement and seriously - props to that. Good job and I am very proud of all of you - the ones who brought this contest up.

But here is the thing - while 99% of you still do not agree with me, I have a problem with the way of picking finalists, winners, and however you want to call them.
    Please exclude my remix and my productions of this, i am trying to talk neutrally as possible here without any dark feelings on my side.

So where is the point?
    The problem already starts with that, that most of the judges are non-musicians OR in case of being "musicians" - not having much experience of production and process of production in general.
    And YES i DO UNDERSTAND THE STATEMENT "if it pleases your ear, then its done right".
    But do you understand the fact that some people - and i am really not sorry for calling out - do NOT put effort into it at all and get attention?
    While i do not want to say that "its fishy" - i need to mention that its not right. I agree with anyone saying that I am not part of the process of voting and picking finalists BUT
    ~~ having people in the lists and all which do 3 remixes in such short amount of time is weird.

Unfortunately, and please disagree with me if you like ~ friendship and being known in the community helped massively.
    Which shouldnt be the case.
    I wont tell any names. Neither will i tell you if its within LPA, LPL, LPFC, ALTWIRE or the Ambassadors ~ so what you do with this info is your choice.
    I just want to let you know that things like that is massively unprofessional and nobody can tell me "oh but its within the fanbase, so it does not have to be professional"
    If you create something for an audience - it has to stay legit and professional. Thank you.

Ok I understand that i sound rude and i may AM but i try to be a detailled kind of rudeness.
    I get that i am no perfect music producer and others are no exception. But try to see it from a view of someone who has MUCH more experience and maybe you will understand why I actually had issues with MMUs before and also this one.
    Someone who puts in weeks and sleepless nights into this remix contests to create ~
    A perfect volume mix
    Detail stuff like equing and more
    Nice mastering (some even pay for that shit too)
    Several versions with different keys and whatnot

So seeing someone being praised for a work which was done in 2 hours (obvious exaggeration to give meaning into this text) is not pleasing for experienced producers.
    THAT IS WHY, i always recommended a voting system for EVERYONE AND having MASSIVE MUSIC-EXPERIENCED PEOPLE as judges but i got talked out and bullshitted.
    And I am not talking for myself, - i had discussions with PLENTY of others who participated in this remix contest and others too.

I am INCREDIBLY HAPPY for those who won. Congratulations people, you achieved something huge and I am really proud of you guys.

Though - for the next time - you guys HAVE TO UNDERSTAND that process of producing is ALSO important.
    I really hope I get reflected by some understanding of my text and kind of a rant.
    But ~ and now to let in some personal experience with LPA ~ UNFORTUNATELY i have nothing to lose here anymore, so i can happily tell you all this without having any fears. Since i get ignored by the most people here (oh, also from Staff which should actually be neutral btw! ;) )

I am glad you made this remix contest,
    consider this a rude feedback if something like that actually exists.
    It was not the first time i was controversial.

~ Pat

3. Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

So here's the thing. Do I consider myself a musician? No. Do I consider myself a producer? No. Have I made a legit remix from the ground up? No, but I have made mash-ups that sound really good to me. I also have a diverse taste in music. Does that make my opinion on the OVER 250 ENTRIES in this contest invalid? Does that make me ineligible to be a judge for a music contest? Because that seems to be what you're implying. Oh, and also, for you to imply that we just picked our friends to be in the top 5 is completely fucking asinine of you to assume. How dare you. You were never part of the judging process, so you have no fucking idea how we came up with our favorites and how we eventually came up with our top finalist. How dare you to think you know how our judging process worked.

You know nothing, Jon Snow.

I'm willing to bet that you didn't even listen to 10% of the entries that were submitted and yet you're here spouting off at the mouth. Talk about sleepless nights making remixes... How about sleepless nights of listening to them. Did you endure that for the community? No, I don't think so. And before that last statement gets blown out of context, it was an absolute honor to be able to judge this contest FOR THE COMMUNITY.

We were neutral and judged each entry fairly. There were early front runners and there were dark horses. There were also some REALLY good ones that didn't have the squeaky clean polish of an overly produced track. There are definitely some gems mixed in the enormous amount of entries and I am absolutely proud of the community as a whole for their efforts they put into this contest, despite of skill level. As I stated earlier in this thread, it is impossible to feature every good track that was entered. I am happy that LPL, LPFC, Altwire and the Ambassadors were able to be a part of this. This was an example of the entire community working together at a common goal. That in itself is worth every bit of this.

Perhaps you being pissed off and down because your entry didn't make it into the finalists is a good experience for you to have, Pat. Again, if you submit an entry to a contest EXPECTING to win, you really need to do some self-reflecting on your own entitlement. Quit projecting it onto others by calling them unfit for doing a task that none of us got paid to do. We all did this voluntarily out of the goodness of our hearts and if you've got a problem with that, You need to go wash all that salt off and apply the burn cream where it's needed.

Austin Vicenty likes this.
  4. Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Holy shit guys, there were 350 entries to go through. It was not easy. It took each of us hours and hours and hours of our time. For LPA, we developed a system to go through ALL entries collectively, whittled it all down to a top-40, went through those top-40 submissions 2-3 times more, had each judge choose a top-5, came up with a weighted points system for those votes which allowed us to come to a consensus #1 choice. It was the closest thing to a standardized, objective approach possible.

From an LPA perspective, our judging panel's top-5 was made up of entries from members whose collective post totals on these forums added up to LESS THAN A HUNDRED POSTS. So to suggest any favouritism is ridiculous. I can only speak for LPA's process, obviously.

What a completely thankless job. Maybe we won't approach Mike to do these anymore.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    Hybrid likes this.
  5. Pat

Pat LPA VIP LPA VIP

(I really would love to quote to single statements of one post but im not quite sure how to [if thats actually possible])

Firstly, thank you for you detailed reply. Actually youre one of those who actually put a lot into answers so - thank you.
    Anyway, I think I want to put one of your last statements as first. I told specifically not to put my remix and productions into this, because I personally dont give a damn if my remix won.
    Having a negative feedback of the process and remix contest itself does NOT mean i am salty about me not winning. Please PLEASE understand that. It was already an issue last time about the MMU and it is much easier to understand me if we finally take what i am saying seriously. - Do not use my negativity as my anger for my remix not winning. Please.

Okay, unfortunately I need to disagree with you on many points. And one of them seems to be the "unbelievable" one. I DID listen to all of the remixes. Sounds crazy but actually it was pretty easy to keep on track starting from day one.
    INFO: I did listen to the whole bunch on soundcloud, keeping the Tag #RemixPostTraumatic (i believe that was the tag, cant even remember i am sorry)
    So, listening to them was no big deal. STOP - i am not saying that its not hard if you also have other things to do, i just wanted to say that i listened to them. Thats all.

Secondly, that you have mash-up experience is really nice. And as much as i appreciate you as a person and friend, i would like to stay honest and say that in my opinion people with no deep production experience should not be in the position of a judge for a remix contest.
    A remix contest should be taken seriously in all aspects of producing - thats what i am saying. From Complexity to Quality. I do not get why people do not really realize that it is really important?
    (Complexity can differ)

And yes, I do stay on my statement that friendship and contact to judges helped in this remix contest. Again, I do not say names. - If it is not you @Hybrid, then you have nothing to fear about. LPA are not the only judges here - so think outside the box.
    This statement is totally up for the people who feel linked to that. The rest is up for interpretation.

To reflect your very last statement - i AM pissed but not really at the same time because i knew this would happen.
    And to make it CLEAR once again (please read this carefully) - i talked to several producers, good producers, known by all of you probably - and we all share the same thought. Coincidence?
    YET again, if I had not entered with my remix - I would have posted the same. Please do not mirror this at me as "being angry my remix did not win"

PS: Loved the Game of Thrones Reference

6. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I am a musician, and you're being rude as fuck.

Honestly Pat? I'm tired of you doing this every remix competition. Cause this is the second time you've whined like this. So I'm going to make it easy for you: please never enter a single remix contest of ours ever again. AltWire or LPA. We don't want your contributions, because after reading that post you have to be one of the most unsportsmanlike, whiny, and thankless people I've ever met. Mac deserved that win, and Shinoda picked it. And I'm thankful a humble, thankful person won over someone who can't take a loss with class and instead accuses AltWire and LPA of unethical behavior.

Austin Vicenty likes this.
  7. Derek

I'm double posting and breaking one of our unwritten rules (double posting) to make a point clear:

MIKE SHINODA PICKED THE WINNER AND MIKE SHINODA ENJOYED THE REMIX AND THOUGHT IT WAS THE BEST OUT OF THE ENTRIES SUBMITTED.

AltWire, LPA had jack shit to do with it apart from submitting a choice. So please, kindly take your unsportmanslike behavior elsewhere.

8. m_macdonald

m_macdonald Well-Known Member

Here to back LPA and their choice of finalist, @Austin Vicenty , to the hilt.

Pat, are you still here criticising LPA, their judging and MMU? It's been years, man. Move on. The first I've seen of you in a few years now and, honestly, I'd thought you would have grown up and gained a better perspective on life by now (you were, in fairness, in high school when we first met online).

Austin's remix was DOPE. Not only is it musically great, the production is great, and he had additional vocals. That's hardly a walk in the park, adding your own vocals. In fact, listening to all the finalists, I hear no badly produced or engineered/mixed work (and I can say that since, y'know, that's my day job...). They're all good, and I think literally all of them have either added vocals OR added live instrumentation (guitars, etc) - not that that matters in and of itself, but it's worth pointing out if we have the fucking gall to call people 'inexperienced' or putting 'NO effort' into things. I've also listened to a bunch of remixes that weren't finalists (though, admittedly, nowhere near the 250+ that the judges did), and there is some outstanding work out there.

And vouching for both LPA and their judging integrity - they picked me as a MMU winner waaaaaaay back in 2011 when I was a no-name idiot who'd literally JUST joined their site. And I'm confident that I can say that without bias, because it's not like LPA picked my Post Traumatic remix as their choice anyway, so it's not like I'm blowing smoke up my own ass by backing them and their decision.

Long live LPA. They're a fucking backbone of the LP community and of LP remixers, and few of us would be here making music if someone from LPA hadn't gone, 'hey, that's cool' at some point. Have a little class, and a little respect for what these people have done for me AND you.

9. Pat

Pat LPA VIP LPA VIP

Thank you Derek for making this personal.

I am here on LPA and on other forums (non Linkin Park related) for a long time and i love it and i couldnt think of a better place to be when it comes to express myself personally AND art-wise.
    But here is the thing, I indeed WON the MMU several times and yet i still complain. Come on derek, dont you see that this is not just something random popping out of my mind?
    I love remix contests, i love seeing new remixes, i love having new talents -
    I do not talk shit about you listening to every song, sometimes even twice probably.
    I appreciate the work youre going through and trust me, i am more than thankful that you put these things up.
    But I would not complain if there is everything right. I am not just "ranting", i am gave feedback Derek, last time, and you know what i got from this community? At least part of it?
    I got MOCKED. And sorry for reminding you but you actually agreed that what others do here sometimes were NOT right.
    Only because I open my mouth, and it seems like i am the only one here who has the courage to point at mistakes makes me a bad person and that you are sick of it?

I will not take this as an insult derek, and I KNOW i come off as rude.

I just want to make sure again that yet this is not against ALL OF YOUR PERSONAL TASTE.
    I could not care less.
    But for some of the spoken ones, yes including me, making an official remix contest should also include high experience in judges.
    I do not want to shittalk Dereks taste, Hybrids taste or anyones production, god please no.

Hey "Mac Oddy"

Congratulations to your remix to win.

I read your post but I do not know what to say besides -

I was literally not known whatsoever too. Only because of the brilliant idea of having MMU pushed me high and pushed me also as a music producer.
    I will and would never deny that.

10. Derek

I wasn't going to say anything else Pat, but you know what? Mac is right. If it wasn't for the MMU's you arguably wouldn't have gotten your start. I can say that without feeling like we're tooting our own horn. This community gave you advice (myself included), and you grew as a musician thanks in part to that advice. The monthly mix up was my idea. We've put out two remix albums, one that was officially released by the band. Yet you accuse us of having no integrity and not knowing music. I've been making remixes and mashups for 17 years. Since I was 13 and downloaded this crappy software called Mixman. Grow up, and learn to be more humble.

Mike was the final judge. You can't get any more 'high experience' than that.

11. Pat

Pat LPA VIP LPA VIP

Thanks for actually saying more, Im sucking in all information and critizism i can get.

As I answered to Mac before - i wouldnt even be known by probs 10 people if it wasnt for the MMU.
    Thank you for that, i am thankful more than ever. I really am (i hope you know i really am)

12. Derek

I just wish you wouldn't repeatedly do this everytime a remix competition goes a different way than you'd like. I remember when you did this in the shoutbox, and here you are doing it again. To the place that helped you, and never expected anything in return. It's almost the equivalent of saying 'thanks for the help, now go f- yourself'. It's not a good look Patrick. At all.

13. Pat

Pat LPA VIP LPA VIP

Look Derek... *sigh*
    I could not have entered any of MMU Contests, or this one and PROBABLY still saying the same.
    Don't want anything in return.
    I love this place and I always will love this place. Even though some people ignore me or hate me because of last happening with the MMU.
    As you said it, I did it twice. From all the MMUs youve done, i probably entered like 90% of them. Thats a lot of MMUs btw.
    I got a lot of MMUs creation but I also would love to be fair.
    Heck, I caused problems in VISCERAs publishing on LPU. - I know it was a huge thing but fairness seemed to be more important to me.
    I am not stupid, I know that things i say SEEM rude, they look attacking ~but heck i just want to give direkt critizism because otherwise things do not change.

In fact - the voting/points system was a big improvement and i love it.
    Again SOME of these statements do NOT necessarily include LPA.
    Keep that in mind.

EDIT: I respect your decision of me banning from future MMUs / Remix Contests and so on.

14. Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

A few months back, I was watching a YouTube video of a comedian doing a stand-up routine, and he was criticizing the way some people raise their kids. An audience member interrupted him, said something like "You don't have any kids, you don't know what being a parent is like." He responded with "I'm not a pilot either, but if I see a helicopter in a tree, then I can still say 'Yeah, that guy fucked up.'"

This applies here too. You don't have to be a parent to judge other parents' work. You don't have to be a pilot to judge other pilots' work. And you don't have to be a musician to judge other musicians' work.

Austin Vicenty, Kevin and Hybrid like this.
  15. Pat

Pat LPA VIP LPA VIP

I get what you are saying. And I agree 100%

16. Derek

You're not banned. It's just if all you're going to do is criticize us everytime the contest goes a different way than what you expected, it's just going to be a colossal waste of both our time.

17. Hybrid

So that being said, are you implying that the other fansites worked off of favoritism? There has been a lot of work to get the fan sites all on the same page and we all have a mutual respect for one another. If your confusing as fuck posting here was to back handedly trash our friends who also volunteered to help with judging this contest in the other fansites, please let me know that so I can issue you a warning.

18. Pat

Pat LPA VIP LPA VIP

If everybody denies, does that make me a liar?
    These "mysterious" posts i do sometimes are clearly a sign that I do not want to throw someone under the bus.
    Thats why I rather take the negativity.

19. Søuł

Søuł As rogue as they come

:think:

20. Hybrid

Then why even fucking make them? You’re being passive aggressive and making little to no sense while doing so. We aren’t mind readers, so trying to throw hints out at who you’re trying to call out is falling flat on its ass. It’s making you out to look like a whiny bitch with no direction. I don’t think that’s a look you want in your wardrobe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.