[SPOILERS] INFINITY WAR

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Zane, Apr 27, 2018.

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

Let's debrief.

SPOILERS

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

DC is FUUUUUUUUCKED.

Louis and Gibs like this.
    Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

MY BOI SPIDERMAN....

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Infinity War is fucking incredible. The Russos and Marvel ABSOLUTELY nailed it. My God. If I tried to list everything I love about this movie, this post would go on for far too long, so I'll try to keep it relatively short.

This movie reminded me of The Deathly Hallows Part 2 in a way. It doesn't waste its time trying to set up its characters, it goes in assuming you've seen all of the previous entries, and moves at a brisk pace.

My one worry going into this film was if they were going to be able to truly deliver on Thanos, and boy did they. Josh Brolin as Thanos is right up their with Heath Ledger's Joker in my book.

"What did it cost?"
    "... Everything."

The scene that will probably stick with me the most (and by design), is the opening scene. I ADORE that you don't seen Thanos attack the Asgardian ship, you just see the aftermath. Right when the Marvel logo came up and that low, ominous music came fading in, you knew shit was about to go DOWN. You see some guy laying off in the distance by Thanos, and you come to realize it's Thor, Hulk gets his ass handed to him, Hemidall dies. And what really made me bawl like a school-girl was Loki dying. That scene hit me in the guy like no other. Seeing Thanos literally squeeze the life out of Loki is almost too much to handle. I love that Loki went out a hero. Absolute perfection.

Even if some characters did get side-lined a bit, everybody got their moment to shine. That's remarkable. One pairing in the movie that was SO good was Thor and Rocket. Who saw that one coming? :lol:

The ending is fucking spectacular. From when Thanos enters Wakanda on, it's emotional hell. You truly feel the weight of what's happening in that scene. I find it incredible that most of Vision and Wanda's relationship development has been offscreen, yet her destroying the mind stone in his head plays SO well. Alan Silvestri's score really shines in this scene, it is gut-wrenching. And just when you think Thor saved the day..... *snap*

Everybody (or half, really) fading out of existence is goddamn emotional, but what really makes the scene heart-breaking is Peter Parker dying. Tom Holland was fucking incredible in this scene. You have this fucking kid scared out of his mind not wanting to die, and his mentor who got him into this in the first place not able to do a thing. This scene made me cry even harder on my second viewing. The Russos and Christopher Markus & Stephen McFeely have pulled off a remarlabke achivement. The fact that all of this is so emotional and gut-wrenching even though you know most of these characters will indeed be coming back is incredible. Comparisons to "The Empire Strikes Back" with movies happen far too often and is a major cliche, but this movie is absolutely on that level. Dare I say, better.

It's gonna be a long year.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    Michele likes this.
    Minus

I read a theory that Peter seemed to be the only one scared because his Spider Sense was alerting him of what was to come. Makes it all the more heartbreaking.

The Joesen One and Gibs like this.
    $pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

Mantis sensed something was wrong too - wasn't she the first to go on Titan?

I'm really bummed that Proxima Midnight and Ebony Maw are dead. I get that the Black Order weren't that important to the storyline, basically just a means to get the Infinity Stones and serve as villain fodder for any given group while Thanos is dealing with another set of heroes, but damn... Midnight was voiced by Carrie Coon, who absolutely should have been in the MCU already because she's awesome. The character, not so much, but hey, whatever, still badass. Ebony Maw was just... man, what a creepy fucking villain, I loved it. I could watch a whole movie where Maw is the villain.

Surely this is the first superhero movie where, basically, the villain has everything go their way and the movie ends with the bad guy walking off into the sunset? That's ballsy.

Gibs

^I was a bit bummed that Ebony Maw bit the dust so early as well. I loved him every time he was on screen. Such a cool character. RIP Squidward.

Minus

I've been thinking about this movie for a while. Something I didn't think about that, upon reflection, is fucking awe-inspiring, is that none of the featured heroes felt shoehorned in or pointless. Every single hero or heroine had a moment and moved the plot forward in some way. Everyone's "arc" contributed to the final outcome. It seems like such a simple thing to say, but with the most ensemble cast of ensemble casts to ever cast an ensemble, that's freaking astounding.

Hybrid and Gibs like this.
    Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

What a beautiful ending with Thanos watching the sunset.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    Gibs likes this.
    Zane

Absolutely agreed. At no point during the film did anything feel filler. I thought the progression of the plot through the characters felt natural and never rushed or forced in any way. Which boggled me even as I watched the movie.

Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

The only thing that weirded me out about this movie was just how little Cap/BW/Falcon were used. So much of the press/hype leading up to this movie was about "oh Cap is 100% gonna die. It's the second to last movie on Chris Evans' contract " and we got like ... 4-5 scenes with him? And he didn't die? Maybe I'm just having whiplash from all the press. Cool that he got the last line though "oh God".

Gibs

I found this weird at first, but I came to accept it, since it allows for characters like Vision & Wanda, the Guardans, and Thanos to truly take the spotlight. I went it to it expecting the Guardians to be more of an afterthought, and was pleasantly surprised to see that in a lot of ways, they were the emotional core of the film.

I remember reading a interview from a month or so back with the Russos where they said that if you feel like some characters get sidelined in Infinity War. there’s a good chance they’ll be more in the spotlight in Avengers 4. So we have that to look forward to at least.

Captain-EO likes this.
    The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Personally I do commend the Russos for balancing all the characters together even though a lot of the major players got the short stick. I really liked Thor's arc in the movie as well. Plus, I like how the characters felt they were coming out of their own solo movies - Gunn Guardians, Waititi Thor, Russo Bros Capt America, Coogler Black Panther - that was a big improvement over the over-Whedonized characters in Age of Ultron.

Gibs likes this.
    Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

Avengers: Disassembled will be the title of the sequel. *fingers crossed*

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

I kinda hope it's Infinity Crusade, myself.

Gibs

BUT WHAT ABOUT KORG AND MIEK?! :cry:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    Minus

I never understood why people were freaking out about that. Thor said pretty blatantly that Thanos had killed HALF of his people.

Kevin likes this.
    Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I pretty much loved everything about this movie. I find it kind of funny that the hero that I resemble the most (Star Lord) has pretty much everyone who saw the movie pissed off at him. I guess that's par for the course...

Dekar

Dekar swimmingsmoke LPA VIP

Thanos seemed kind of weak (holding back?) considering the Power Stone alone can destroy an entire planet without any effort. Well, yes, at some points he used those powers, but does anyone feel similar?

Zane

Thought crossed my mind. I think it's because if they really made Thanos THAT strong, there would be literally no point in Avengers fighting back. He'd have wiped them out in an instant and the movie would have been pointless.