[SPOILERS] INFINITY WAR

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Zane, Apr 27, 2018.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I think they explained it in the opening scene on the Asgardian ship with the following piece of dialogue:

Ebony Maw: No. Let him have his fun.

Thanos IS that strong, he just wants to have fun. He demonstrates some of the power of the Infinity Stones throughout the movie but purposefully doesn't utilize it to the extent he could. As an example, the fight on Titan. Dude literally just summons a fucking moon. He could very easily have just had the moon crater the whole battlefield as a whole. Instead, he broke it into bite-sized chunks and went meteor storm.

He's playing with his food. That's why he took his armor off in that first scene. He wanted to prove that HE could defeat all. That he had the conviction to do what was necessary.

Dekar likes this.
    Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

I get that. I think I always avoid thinking that way about villains in the movies because it tends to be their pitfall. Just like the whole star lord thing being the one reason why the gauntlet wasn’t removed, often villains have too much hubris and lose because of it. I just don’t like that being the reason for the plot to occur. The best comic book movies I’ve ever seen (Dark Knight) have villains that are approachable and not OP so the fight feels like it could go both ways. An OP villain who is just cocky lacks the excitement.

Now that’s not to say I didn’t find Thanos realistic, I thoroughly enjoyed IW. But as I said earlier, I perceived the gauntlet as being somehow limited so the plot made more sense.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    Minus

I get that too.

In regards to the Star Lord thing, I'm pretty sure that was part of the plan. Dr. Strange points out there is only 1 in 14,000,000+ realities in which Thanos is defeated. Star Lord "fucking up" had to be part of that reality, considering Strange told Tony afterwards that it was the only way.

And yeah, there's definitely something limiting in the gauntlet. It looked nearly destroyed when he snapped.

Zane likes this.
    Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I have never felt so paralyzed while watching a movie as I did in the immediate aftermath of the *snap*.

Gibs likes this.
    Minus

That's almost 20 films over the span of a decade's worth of pay-off right there. We don't get the snap and the emotional response without that much built-up good will from Marvel.

This the shit DC tried to do in literally 2 films. Superman might've been more well-known than literally everyone from the snap, but he died in his second fucking film.

The Joesen One and Gibs like this.
    Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

I really really hate that DC was so focused on money and JL. Even as Snyder wrote MoS, if they had spent Justin 3-5 films building up the characters then the DC universe would have been so much better. They could have done unique combo sequels like BvS which would have made interesting introductions and sequels to multiple characters.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Having seen Infinity War 3 times now, it’s probably one of my favorites in the MCU. However, I fee like I can’t truly know how I feel about it until Avengers 4 releases. My biggest fear is that they’ll bring everybody back post-snap without any consequences, rendering Infinity War kind of meaningless. I’m sure it was no coincidence that the og team was left in the end, so they’ll probably ultimately make the biggest sacrifice in order to bring half the universe back. You never know though.

Dekar likes this.
    $pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

I think the fact that everyone and their mother are predicting that the snap will be reversed pretty much means that it won't happen or not everyone gets to return to the land of the living. That just feels like way too much of a predictable move by Marvel, and lately they haven't been too predictable. No one thought Thanos would actually get all of the infinity stones in this movie, much less actually do the snap and kill half the universe.

Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

Was reminded of this

Michele likes this.
    Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I think instead of going full ret-con snap, we are going to be taking a time travel ride through the MCU this time with Captain Marvel in tow.
    There has been leaked set footage of what appears to be the battle of New York against Loki's (borrowed) Chitauri army with Captain Marvel there...
    Who knows. I don't think they are gonna go full rewind on it though. I've been hearing that Avengers 4 is going to be a movie unlike any other, so it will be interesting to see where they go from here. I do think they know that if they just go time stone reversal on it, many people would be pissed off and this movie will feel cheapened by it.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Kevin

spoiler tags dude...
    it's fine to spoil the CURRENT or previous movies, not the upcoming ones

Hybrid

I thought I did... My bad dude. Plus who knows... They could have done that shit as a publicity stunt too. Nothing will be set in stone until the movie's at least finished.

Kevin

If the trailers for Inifinity War has taught us anything ... it's to not trust Marvel before our asses are actually in the seats watching the damn movie.

Vdalem and Hybrid like this.
    Hybrid

Totally dude!! #BigGreenAsshole

Kevin likes this.
    Vdalem

Vdalem Purrfect! LPA Super VIP

The movies are never like the comics. DC movies kinda stinks too cause they always want to make the bad guys look good.

Hybrid

Nor should they be, IMHO. Why watch a movie that you know exactly what is going to happen? I know movies based on books are like that and it is interesting to see how everything plays out on screen, but comics have such an enormous well of information to draw from for the writers and directors to have some fun creative storytelling freedom.

Vdalem

Vdalem Purrfect! LPA Super VIP

:p