System of a Down- Protect The Land; Genocidal Humaniodz (First new music in 15 years)

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Blake, Nov 6, 2020.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

What are your thoughts on their return?

Sasuke likes this.
    Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

What the fuck?? Never thought they would ever release new music again after this long time

The first song kinda sounds like Daron Malakian side project. It's nice but nothing special imo, it's clearly more about the message which I don't care about.
    I like the 2nd one a lot more, really reminiscent of the crazy songs from the 2005 double album (with blast beats :lol:)

Dekar likes this.
    chris2

chris2 Smiling At Strangers On Trains LPA Super Member

Oh, yes! I never thought I'd see the day. Kinda sad it needed such a horrible cause to get new SOAD.
    First one sounded more like Scars on Broadway/Daron solo-stuff, but Genocidal Humanoidz is classic System, love the blast beats!
    Let's see if this leads to more new material in the near future...

Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

It's a nice touch to have the Armenian flag featured in these videos or allusions to its color pallet and Armenia itself.

It's been said twice already accurately about how one sounds more SoB and the other more SoaD. Though to be fair, there was a little on Hypnotize that delved into the sound Daron really leaned in on in his solo stuff.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

I honestly doubt it. They released both of these songs because of whats happening in Armenia and they think it is important to make a statement about it. Its more about making the whole conflict better know i think.

Captain-EO likes this.
    Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

I agree completely. They've always been strong activists for Armenia and a lot of their political stuff aims toward their roots there. It's a huge part of the band's identity. The last time Armenia and Azerbaijan fought over this territory it was devastating and it's devastating now too. Especially given the current political climate of the world and all the focus on the US at this particular time, their platform is big tool to help raise awareness about what's happening in southwestern Asia.

These songs aren't about US politics. They're cries out against what's happening in a massive territorial conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    Dekar and Michele like this.