My NEW composition "Late Night Impressions"! Please listen!

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Methybrea, Jul 30, 2006.

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

Recently getting into digital recording, here's the first composition of hopefully a few to come over the next month. I recorded it with a cheap Yamaha keyboard, improvised pretty much all of it and using a few different sounds.
    Its called "Late Night Impressions" and is basically split up into four "movements":

a) "Evening Fog" - 1:23
    b) "Early Impulses" - 1:00
    c) "Interstellar Being" - 2:06
    d) "Enlightenment" - 1:29

I would describe it as mainly ambient and trippy and cool I'd say, although I mess up a bit but then again its improv! I'd just love to hear your feedback on it, and I hope this link works:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K23HZ91W

Enjoy! :D

Edit: Type in the code and you will get in queue.

Branden

Branden hey! LPA Super Member

I think it's very good. It's more intricate than the things I write, that's for sure. :lol:
    The fact that it's improvised and I can hear that its improvised also gets it more points from me.

I think however, it could serve to have a few more layers to give it a little more depth. I'm all for simplicity, but I think if you added some more things (even just what you did with the ambience underneath the piano in the first movement was good) it'd definitely keep it more interesting. I'm loving the Marimba or whatever that was at the end though, very unique. I think as long as you added a few more layers (don't go crazy with 45 tracks or something) and fixed a few of the pauses and weird flaws (you might even be able to do it in your software, I know GarageBand when done through MIDI allows you to change notes, delete certain ones, etc) it would be a very excellent piece.

What all did you use to record it, technically, like how did you connect it to the computer, software, things like that? I've always been interested so I can try new things and see what works.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
    The_Cool_Cow

The_Cool_Cow Well-Known Member

um, how do you download the file? You said to enter the code, but I dont see any code on the page. I tried typing in the code in the address, but it didnt do anything.

Branden

By the MegaUpload logo, it says "Geben Sie" then 3 letters/numbers. Type those 3 letters/numbers into the text box next to the download button, then press the download button.

Methybrea

As for recording, I used Cool Edit Pro and somehow I can't get it to record a second track while listening to the other one. I have the keyboard and have a direct Line In (its shown as "Stereo mix" on the soundcard) into the back of my computer using an adapter from 1/4" to 1/8" standard headphone jack.

For some reason, when I go to record it picks up everything thats coming through the speakers. I'm guessing this has to do with how I'm hooking it up? Is there a program I can better use? Any I can download? Also, my computer doesn't have a MIDI hook-up as far as I know.

I'm interested in what you have to say it'll help me with my future recording! :D

Branden

If you wore headphones while playing the track, you could listen to it and eliminate the speaker pickup? Would that work? To tell you the truth, you do everything the same as I do when I record guitar and things (I do a lot through MIDI) except I use GarageBand, so I'm not sure what the problem can be. You may want to try Acid, I know alot of people use that on PCs.

Evil Angel

Evil Angel Ambient

hey odaton that pretty neat.i had trouble downloading it but now its sorted out.you have composed it well

Methybrea

I will try your suggestion right now! Thanks.

And thank you Evil Angel! Megaupload is the only place I could think of to do that stuff. If you techies know of a better one lemme know :p

Edit: Thanks A BUNCH Branden the Pirate Dude. It worked and I will now further add to my creation :p

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2006